How far would you go for healthy teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just got back from my son's (22 months old) first dentist appt. and it turns out he has two cavities on his molars. The dentist claims their from nursing at night--which I don't totally agree with. She basically told me to stop nursing him at night--immediately--or risk more severe cavities. She did give me a calcium phosphate gel to coat his teeth with at night, if I do "insist" on nursing. She's also recommending application of flouride coating every three months. 

I'm on the fence about flouride and have been looking into nutritional/alternative cures for cavities, including bone broth, organ meats, xyletol, cod liver oil, butter oil, fruit free/sugar free diets, etc. But I don't know if we're ready to overhaul our life that completely. I know that sounds horrible, we're on a pretty tight budget, and some of these remedies/supplements are not at all cheap. Also, as much as we try to limit sugar, my son does have treats every once and awhile. And I can't imagine cutting fruit out of his diet---as a toddler, he's pretty finicky about what he eats, so I'm happy when I can get anything "live" (fruits or veggies) in him.

Does this make me a horrible mother? We're going to get really serious about brushing and cutting out sugary treats--but should I go farther?

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#2 of 2 Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're kind of in the same boat. I personally think it depends on the root cause of the cavities. Our son has cavities because I have them and spread the bacteria to him. So, it's just going to get worse unless we do some of those overhauls. We also don't have dental insurance, so the remedies ( if they work ) are much more cost effective for us. Our son is also a picky eater and breastfeeds at night time. I typically disagree with the idea that night time breastfeeding causes cavities. I think in his case, when he has this massive overgrowth of bad bacteria, it can make it worse, but in a normal healthy mouth...have at it. In my son's case, a filling will not fix the overall problem. In your child's case, it may. It just depends on the individual situation. If you are currently experiencing tooth sensitivity or cavities or your partner is, then I would definitely consider the overall. 

Did the dentist note any other decay? Do you see white or brown spots on your child's teeth? Thinning of enamel? Was the dentist really able to get in an look? My son's dentist was not. If you see white spots on your child's teeth or brown spots and they don't brush away, this would be an indication of impending or already forming caries. 

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page