?s about widening palates - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD went to the dentist yesterday and mentioned that there is some upper palate is not wide enough compared to her lower and that if it is still that way at her next appointment that she would need an expander.  She is 6 almost 7.  She has always had some pretty good spacing between her baby teeth, but know that she has got some permanent, they are saying it is crowded.  I have been reading here about people using Cod liver oil and Weston A Price's nutrition in regard to bone development.  If I can do anything through nutrition, I would at least like to try.  I saw that CLO was mentioned for vitamins A and D.  How is that different from her getting her vitamin d thru sunlight and vitamin a through eating carrots and other vegetables.  I do have a nordic naturals dha that I had bought for omega 3s that is CLO that I don't use.  Is it not good enough?  I am just confused about this.  Thanks for any answers!!!

#2 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I don't have any answers for you on healing it nutritionally (I don't believe in the WAP to things ;-)).  I would suggest you get a second opinion before you have anything placed that would move/change bone.  I was not told when I had braces as an adult & my father says he was not told when he arranged for my braces as a teen, that braces can cause gum recession later in life.  I don't know how having braces compares to have a palate spreader, but it is making me quite cautious on doing anything relating to the bone in my dc's mouths.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 9 Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I can't help very much but I came across the following in reading that artificial nipples from pacifiers and bottles narrow the palate, stands to reason thumb sucking would also.  Breastfeeding widens it. Although it generally happens early on, in the first months when the hard palate is very soft and maleable. http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfeed_oralcavity.htm

#4 of 9 Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kids who wear them generally get headaches. Its also most often followed by wearing braces as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatal_expander
#5 of 9 Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 PM

Bureshsf, what did you decide? We are in the process of making the same decision with my 5 y.o. son who has a cross bite. Our appointment is this week but I am considering cancelling...
#6 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to try the cod liver oil.  I got 6 months before we go back to see if it makes a difference.  I got carlson's cod liver oil since the vitamin a wasn't as high.  She already eats a lot of veggies and fruit since I didn't want too much vitamin a.  I am making bone broths for her and trying to make sure she gets in the sun for at least 15 mins 3x a week.  I hope it does something b/c she is very sensitive to stuff.  Can't stand to wear a shirt with a drop of water on it.  She eats a good diet but maybe wasn't getting enough vitamin d last year since mosquitos were terrible last year and makes her not want to go out. 

#7 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 AM

My 11 year old uses an expander because he sucked his thumb from birth.  Yes, he was breastfed. eyesroll.gif  I'm not sure how clo will change the shape of a child's mouth.  If my child didn't have this expander, his adult teeth would not be able to come down and he would require surgical care eventually.  And he will most likely need braces.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#8 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 AM

I'm pretty sure the connection between gum recession and braces is due to poor hygiene while wearing braces.

Our ds will most likely need braces to correct a pretty severe overbite. He's also inherited my small mouth which means that there might not be enough room for his teeth. That kind of crowding of teeth can really mess with a bite and make the teeth uncomfortable later in life. For me the trade off is definitely on the side of braces. I had them, dh had them, and ds has the combination of the 2. Ds was breastfed,  his diet is good. It's mostly an unfortunate combination of genes. I'm OK with braces. It's mostly a mechanical solution, and it's not like they're injecting his mouth with drugs.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#9 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

I'm pretty sure the connection between gum recession and braces is due to poor hygiene while wearing braces.

My dentist said that gum recession that comes after braces is because the skin follows the movement of the bone.  I didn't ask for further details.

I had braces twice & have terrible recession, some of which has been brought on by stress & lack of care.  I did have lots of recession before the stress & lack of care, however.

Just like all decisions, the pros & cons need to be weighed.  The benefits of braces/appliances may outweigh the risk of gum recession.  

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page