2 year old with serious tooth decay...need advice on treatment options! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm seeking advice!

I just had an appointment with a pediatric dentist about serious decay on my 2 (and 3 months) year old's top front teeth. We've been seeing our regular family dentist every 3 months since first detecting some small brown spots on her teeth when she was about a year old.

Today we were told that apparently the top front 4 teeth aren't able to be saved. Especially the 2 teeth on either side of the front 2. They started crumbling about a month ago and little more than tiny stubs a few cm. She said all 4 need to be removed. She said there are also cavities in 4 molars.

We were given 2 choices for treatment (other than just leaving them to see what happens - which I don't really think is a good idea given how bad the decay is):

1. Go under GA for about an hour of work - remove the front top 4 teeth and clean out and cap the 4 molars - all in one appointment. It would take place in a hospital with the anesthesiologist coming from the local Children's Hospital
  2. Have one appointment in the dentist's office to remove the front top 4 teeth - she would use an oral sedative and possibly have to restrain her if she wasn't relaxed enough - it would take about 45 minutes. Have 2-3 more appointments to do temporary fillings in the 4 molars. No freezing required but the fillings may last 2 months to a few years...when they would need to be done again

DD is very calm and relaxed at the dentist and is pretty laid back but 45 minutes with needles and drilling might be a lot. GA scares the crap out of me...really, really scares the crap out of me.

I'm also worried a bit about her speech development without those 4 teeth.

We've been doing the following since the brown showed up around 12 months: xylitol several times a day, MI paste, brushing 2-3 times a day, flossing, added a high vitamin cod liver oil, and even using a fluoride toothpaste for the past 6 months (a bit at night). Nothing has helped!! We finally got the referral to the pediatric dentist last month...I'm thinking we waited too long....ETA we also do cell salts.

I'm so horrified this has happened....DD didn't have sugar until a year, was EBF until 7 months, never had a bottle, no juice, etc etc. I feel like we've failed terribly in this though :(

Anyway, I'm hoping to hear other experiences on what people did for treatment!!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#2 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 PM

I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to tell you we are going through something similar.  I was just told today that dd (2 yo) has serious cavities in 6 of her teeth (top front).  They want put her under GA and fill the cavities and at that point they will decide if any of the teeth need to be removed.  I am beside myself with worry.  

That said, I will be subbing to this thread and wanted to offer you a hug2.gif.  

Our dentist wants to schedule the procedure for april 25 and I have to let him know by the end of the week if i want to go through with it.  I don't see any options here so I'm looking forward to what others have to say!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#3 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry you're going through a similar thing. hug2.gif

It sounds encouraging that they may be able to save the teeth though! Have you been offered a chance to try it under oral sedation rather than general anesthetic?

I'm surprised no one else has responded...hopefully others can share experiences and/or advice.

#4 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Dd was about  30 months when she had her work done under ga. It was scary but she came through with no complications. We were in time to save her teeth but thewhole front row are capped.

Her next checkup showed continuing decay but was caught early enough, and she had matured by 3yo to do the work in office with no meds.

Our pedi dentist won't do strap downs on kids because he believes they can be traumatizing to the child. I suppose that would depend on the temperment of the child and if you think they would be able to handle it while awake. 

#5 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Dd was about  30 months when she had her work done under ga. It was scary but she came through with no complications. We were in time to save her teeth but thewhole front row are capped.

Her next checkup showed continuing decay but was caught early enough, and she had matured by 3yo to do the work in office with no meds.

Our pedi dentist won't do strap downs on kids because he believes they can be traumatizing to the child. I suppose that would depend on the temperment of the child and if you think they would be able to handle it while awake. 

Thanks for your feedback. Our dentist doesn't use any restraining devices...she just said she will ask me to hold her very still if she starts moving when she has a needle in her mouth. She won't continue the work if DD gets too upset. I agree that strapping a child down would be terrible :( I think we're going to try the oral sedative...still not sure though. It's such a hard decision.

#6 of 8 Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM

I am so worried and scared for my little guy. The dentist detected 4 decays on his top 4 teeth. they said that they will have to put a silver cap on them. They told me that they might have to put him to sleep since he is under the weight. He is 27 lbs at 12 months. They told me some procedures that can be done and can be used. 1. oral sedation 2. laughing gas 3. IV putting him to sleep (with the proper dr. along side him to make sure he will be okay, ). IM LIKE WHAT.. he is only a 2 years old. I brush his teeth 2 times a day, he does not eat candy or drink any sugar drink: water and milk only. juice is once in a blue moon diluted with water. So I don't know how he get that decay. I have 4 other kids and they never had that problem. So I am trying to figure out what went wrong with him to have his teeth decay. I am very upset with myself.

But anyhow, DEc 11, is his appt. I am very scared and worried.

Does anyone know any other way around it?

Did anyone go thru this? I need some comforting stories who can relate?

#7 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Hi Nee, I posted briefly above, but in addition I think that our daughter's was caused by nutritional deficiencies due to multiple food intolerances and a leaky gut that hasn't allowed her to absorb things properly. Her teeth have gotten better, no more falling apart like they were but she still gets small cavities.

You might find some useful info on here that you can use with him after he has the repairs done - http://www.mothering.com/community/t/399989/curing-cavities-with-nutrition - to prevent further decay.

#8 of 8 Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM

Hi Carmen,  may I know how's your kid's tooth doing now?  I am undergoing almost exactly the same situation as you were, and I tried adding what u added on my 2 years old diet to try remineralize her tooth as well, but I didn't see improvements after 3 months, all her upper tooth are crumbling off piece by piece, I am heartbreaking and not sure if I should just go for GA?  Please advise.

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page