Is Having My Teeth Cleaned Safe While Breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't been to the dentist in more than two years. I put off going while pregnant because I was afraid of what could harm my growing baby. Now, I've continued putting it off because I'm breastfeeding. I've been reading a little about healing cavities and removing plaque naturally on mothering as of tonight. However, I'm still considering having my teeth cleaned. Still concerned, though, I'd like to know what effects having my teeth cleaned may do to my breastmilk. Should I avoid x-rays? Obviously, no flouride. Anything else? 

#2 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 AM

I know this question is a couple months old but noticed you never got any responses.

I've never heard of a basic cleaning being dangerous while breastfeeding. In fact, the only danger I've ever heard to a routine cleaning for anyone is if you have mitrovalve prolapse. I suppose theoretically lots of bacteria could be released into your bloodstream and somehow enter your breastmilk, but I have never read anything supporting this or heard of any adverse effects to the child.

Anyway, I'm far from a dental expert, but I have had my teeth cleaned once or twice a year since DS was born (he's 3.5 & still nursing). I would not do fluoride & I'd avoid most anything beyond routine cleaning. From what I have read, dental x-rays are safe while BFing, but I have chosen to avoid them -- since I've never had a cavity & tend to have healthy teeth, it wasn't worth even researching in depth for me.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Crunchy nailed it. 

You should be good to go, unless you have periodontal disease which it sounds like you do not.  I'd lean towards no x rays unless they see a problem area and if so, maybe just a periapical x ray would be in order. 

I have worked for DDS's for years and my last experience was working for a holistic DDS. 

Clean away!

'09   
#4 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 AM

I read somewhere that getting teeth cleaned can somehow disturb any mercury amalgams and that mercury would be passed on through the bm... But I can't say I have researched this myself. It did make me consider putting off my next cleaning until after I am done bf. (probably 1-2 years from now). The curing cavities with nutrition thread is a fascinating read.

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page