Severe childhood tooth decay - ADVICE, THOUGHTS, NEW RESEARCH? Thanks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

My daughter is 4 and has had at least 7 dental interventions for her severe tooth decay. Today her second tooth was pulled and each tooth in her mouth has been infected some how. A few dentists suggest the cause is my breastfeeding on demand until the age of 3. Her father suspects the same. They say that breast milk sugar is just like cow's milk...but I've never felt they were right.

My daughter's first tooth was damaged. I practiced good hygiene and our diet was always quite good. I can't imagine breast milk being the culprit. I've read a lot about bacteria that causes this and wonder if any other mother's have gone through this.

It's horrible to see your child suffer through this and to feel you've caused this....

We have two more interventions left until all the teeth have been treated. Normally no more teeth are to be pulled. I am just very concerned for her adult teeth. 

Thanks.

Alexis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Alexis, 

I'm so sorry! I can completely relate to what you're feeling and probably the guilt, even thought it's misplaced. I'm a proud breastfeeding mama to a 20.5 month old little boy. There are other risk factors that increase a child's risk of ECC. I just made a post about it in this section. I've learned so much and now the only reason I feel guilty is because I just didn't have the information. 

What sort of treatment has been in place for your daughter? 

Tags
Dental

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page