8 month old has decay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible for my 8 month old to have decay? He got his lower middle teeth about 2 months ago and when they first started comming in I noticed towards the top part of each tooth is yellow. I have always brushed his teeth morning and night since they erupted. Now two months later the teeth have erupted more and the yellow spots are more noticable. It's not the whole tooth just up towards the top edge has a yellow spot on each tooth. I should add he does wake once a night and still gets a bottle. sometimes it might be 2 bottles but thats maybe once a week or less. Should I be concerned that he is getting a cavity?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

It sure is possible.  I would find a good pediatric dentist in your area and get him checked out.  See if you can find some Xylitol gel to put on his teeth and gums as well.  Decay can move very fast.  Good luck!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Hi MorninBurst, 

Please listen to AdinaL. Decay moves very quickly and it's absolutely possible to have decay at that young of an age. My son is 21 months old and has moderate decay on 7 teeth and decalcification on 3 more, so all but one tooth has some sort of decay. I first noticed some brown spots on his upper molars when he was about 13 months old, but everyone ( including the doctor ) convinced me it was iron staining. Fast forward 7 months to a month ago and his molars are dissolving and he has decay everywhere and enamel loss. If you're concerned, get him to a dentist and quickly. Xylitol is also a good thing.

I would HIGHLY recommend a holistic DDS. I'm personally not a fan of most pediatric dentists because oftentimes their first idea is to drill and that involves General Anaesthesia and many times there are less invasive, better ways. They're not all like that, but it seems so many are. Look online and ask for advice. I'm more than confident that if we took our son to the pediatric DDS down the road they would have pulled his two upper molars and put in spacers and then drilled and filled the other five teeth. Our holistic DDS said even if he loses his upper molars, as long as they're not infected, the root would be natural spaces for his permanent teeth. So, there are other ways. 

Even though my son's decay spread so quickly and is it's moderate, not mild...we were able to stop it and after a month of treatment put in place by our holistic DDS, we're also seeing the brown staining significantly go away and new enamel filling in the holes. 

There are MANY causes of Early Childhood Cavities and it's not your fault. You've done nothing wrong. You'll find tons of moms on this forum who brushed their kid's teeth everyday and they had ECC too. 

Here's some fast facts I wish I knew about ECC : If you have a c-section birth, your child is much more likely to get ECC. The child doesn't pick up the good bacteria in the birth canal that protects from cavities and a host of other problems. A c-section also means a higher risk for gut imbalance or reflux, and a gut imbalance means a child may not absorb many vitamins at all and this creates a weak tooth enamel and when that bacteria moves in it spreads like wildfire. If a caregiver has active cavities they can absolutely spread the bacteria to the little one. Lip and tongue ties also contribute to cavities, especially during night feedings. My son had all of the above. 

If what he's getting is formula, I would definitely stop, or try water. Formula has more sugars than breastmilk and can contribute to cavities. Breastmilk has been shown to not cause cavities, but when the bacteria is all throughout the mouth and it's taken over and there's a lip or tongue tie, it can't wash away and it sits and on the teeth and gums and can also feed the bacteria. 

Please do take your little one to the dentist right away to rule out decay. Are you on city or well water? Sometimes city water can be high in fluoride and it can cause fluorosis especially if the water from the tap is used to mix with the formula. 

Also, check out his toothpaste. I used to give our son training toothpaste thinking it was okay for him, but when I researched the ingredients they were horrible! Sorbitol, etc

Sorry for the long reply. Trying to find an answer with my son's cavities was an emotional roller coaster filled with lots of mom guilt and I don't want another mama to go through the same thing. 

Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 AM

Hi MorninBurst,

You may want to check out the Branam line of products.  We have been using them on our children for two years now and they work really well.  The company was founded by a Pediatric Dentist and all of the products contain a very rich source of Xylitol.  Here is the link:

http://www.branamsmile.com/__branam.php?SHOW_PRODUCT_DETAIL=yes&which=23&category=Baby

Good luck with everything.  I would also recommend going to a Pediatric Dentist. 

Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 AM

8 months? That's a young age,. I'm troubled now for my 15 months because of this..!! However I also suggest have your baby checked by the dentist. It's up to us to save our babies teeth to those meddling cavities!!! Fight fight fight!!!Sheepish.gif

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 PM

i have read that studies show early decay or yellowing in teeth coming in can be related to certain antibiotics - particularly antibiotics that mama is taking passing through the milk.

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

Tags
Dental
User Tag List