Panicked and worried; please help - toddler cut gums - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, while I was getting his older brother ready for preschool yesterday morning, my 19 month old fell and hit his face really hard on the train table.  His upper lip was swollen and bleeding, and when I lifted it up, I saw to my horror a deep horizontal cut right above his top two teeth, which tore through his upper frenulum in a very messy way.  The cut was so deep it looked like a chunk of flesh was missing.  It was bleeding a lot and I immediately took him to the dentist.  The dentist told me that his teeth looked intact, were not loose, and that there was nothing that could be done with the cut other than to let it heal on its own.  He reassured me that it was very unlikely any nerves were damaged given the tightness of the teeth and to just come back in a week for followup.  Last night, instead of brushing his teeth, I lifted up his still swollen upper lip gently and with a syringe filled with water and xylitol, flushed out the cut area before putting him to sleep (he cried when I did this).  My heart sank all over again when I saw just how deep the cut was and how mutilated the area looked right above his teeth. I just can't imagine the area healing up fully since it looks like such a gaping wound with deep indentation.  Do any of you have any experience with this type of damage to the gums?  Did it fully heal?  What you did you do, if anything, to help it heal properly?  Thank you so much.

#2 of 2 Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I actually have some personal experience with this one.  When I was about the same age as your DS, I fell against the table and completely tore my frenulum.  Apparently this bled profusely because my mom fainted from the sight of all the blood.  I healed completely and the frenulum is fine now, but I think this took a while.  I think that the area has a lot of blood vessels and bleeds a lot.  Hope this helps!  hug.gif

Wife to DH (2009) and mother to DS born (1/7/11).

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page