Antibiotics for Abscess - to finish the round or not? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, my 5 yo son just had an extraction due to an abscess in his front tooth.  This was due to root trauma he had as a toddler.  While I am 100% comfortable with our decision to extract vs. do a root canal, I am not at all comfortable with giving him antibiotics.  He has never had them in 5 years of life and I did not want to start now (we started yesterday due to the abscess).

My question is this, do the benefits outweigh the risks here?  The dentist said the infection was pretty high up in his gum.  Or, now that the tooth is gone, can I pull him off the abx (which he just started yesterday) and let the body heal itself.  I strongly believe in the power of the body to heal itself and I do not want to damage his gut beyond repair.

Any thoughts or reassurance?  Many thanks.

#2 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM

I would definitely continue the antibiotics, and give a probiotic.

I had a tooth trauma as a child and had to have a synthetic bone graft in my upper gum as an adult because it had eroded.  It was very expensive and painful, and even though I always had regular dental checkups, it wasn't discovered until I was 22 years old, and I had to have a root canal on 2 effected teeth as well as the bone graft.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 3 Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, mama, I am sorry to hear that.  It sounds like a lot to go through.  Thanks for weighing in.  Having spent years on these boards and being indoctrinated in the all-natural approach, it pains me greatly to give abx at all, esp. when we worked so hard to avoid them, what with extended nursing and a (fairly) healthy diet.  But, I have to remember not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Western medicine is not all bad and this is not a case of overprescribing abx.  I don't want my son to have to go through any more painful procedures.  Thx again~

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page