GA versus Demerol and Versed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS 4 years old is having extensive dental work done. First dentist said his two back molars needed to be extracted as well as three other back teeth capped and must be done under GA. Second dentist thinks he can save the back molars. He suggests doing the procedure in his office under demerol and versed, terming it conscious sedation. He hopes to finish in two visits, though it could take three. He said that he will also treat him under GA in the hospital if we are more comfortable doing that route.

I don't know what to do... obviously my first wish would be to wave a wand and make it go away! But I am coming to terms that we have to get this down. Which is the safest?? 

Any advice/knowledge greatly appreciate!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I have been involved in a lot of procedures done under conscious sedation while working in ED. I would not be comfortable having it myself, or allowing my children to have it, in a dentist's surgery. I want to know there is someone present who is monitoring the person's breathing and has advanced airway management skills should they be required.

I chose to have my own wisdom teeth removed under sedation in a day surgery with an anaesthetist. You could see if that was an option. If not, I personally, would choose GA.

There was another very similar thread to this one not long ago, you could see if you can find it and read the responses to that one as well for more info.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

I am reading through that now. I originally was on my phone and was having a hard time searching and looking through threads. Now that I am on the pc I can actually look deeper :)

#4 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Another question: Is it unreasonable to ask them just to do laughing gas and versed? The demerol is what scares me. DH is 4.5 and he is a very chill, well behaved kid. I also had teeth problems as a child and I remember getting laughing gas and having it done and being fine and I was precisely his age. I know for sure I had a tooth pulled and a crown on one, and I was fine.

The more I read the more I am having a panic attack over here. NEITHER seems like a good choice to me :(

#5 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The problem with that is that you're then giving two relaxation/amnesiac drugs and no painkiller. The Demerol (pethidine) is primarily for pain in this instance. I agree it's not a great choice. I would prefer nasal or IV fentanyl myself. I guess with local it might be ok but you still have the issues of airway management because you're using versed (midazolam).

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Dental

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page