Slight discoloration on front teeth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this the beginnings of decay? My 2.5yo DD is good about brushing but not so great about letting me in there.

I tried taking her to a dentist appt. and she freaked. She's painfully shy so I didn't force it. I still have yet to really LOOK into her mouth but she has slight yellowing at the very top of her two front teeth.

What can I do to stop the decay if that's what it is? I just has my dentist tell me I need gum surgery or I'll start loosing teeth very soon. So I need to do better for my child and her teeth. Long story short-- I have had multiple root canals, extractions and oral surgeries. My DD loves sugar and while we avoid it as much as possible-- she eats WAY WAY too much. Mostly in the form of yogurt, some juice and fruit. Which I limit. I am on a paleo/primal diet and am doing my best to get DD there too-- but she is very young!

What can I do for a kid with a hard mouth to get in?!?!?! Any ideas? Thanks!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#2 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 AM

Hi tillymonster, 

Sorry to hear about your challenges but happy you're being proactive about it. Yes, yellowing can be a sign of decay. Oftentimes it starts out white and can easily go on noticed. As decalcification starts and decay sets in it can change to a yellowish buttery color, then to brown. Yellow can also just be plaque. How did they give the exam? Was she sitting on your lap, or did they do the knee to knee approach? 

Our little boy will be two years old in about 2 weeks and has been to three dentists so far. He's also shy in medical settings. We've had the best luck by far by the dentist doing to knee to knee approach. He still cried, but less and it allowed for a better vantage point for the dentist to be able to look inside. I also noticed he seems to do better with a female dentist. Makes sense since I'm home with him all day. 

You may want to consider making your own yogurt, restricting very sweet fruit/acidic fruit, and cutting out juice or making your own and watering it down. Mikey did not like for me to brush his teeth either, but I finally resorted to just holding him, forging ahead and doing it. I didn't want to "traumatize" him holding him down to brush his teeth, but have come to the terms that there's much more "trauma" involved with drilling/filling/extraction. It took about a week of me being persistent, and now he's just fine. We have a little song we sing and I also let him brush my teeth. 

I would say to find a dentist that can give a proper exam, get a diagnosis then you'll know what you're dealing with and how to proceed. 

#3 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

choochootwo— thank you for the sympathies! I read your posts about battling decay and I am also so sorry you are going through this drama. Oui! I am so annoyed with myself for not staying on top of her with brushing. Who knows if it would have made much difference but we didn't have dental insurance or the money to get her into a dentist before she turned 2.

Can you tell me... how's your song go? I'm going to go that route. She will get used to it. I've got to be consistant! I also am wondering, do you floss your sons' teeth? How exactly do you get a 2yo to allow that? OMG? O_o

I need to work on her diet. She really only eats fruit and lots of it in ANY form. She loves whole milk yogurt from Trader Joes' (she wont eat the stuff I make her *sigh*) and that's like 30 effing grams of sugar! She loves chicken, pasta with tomato sauce (zuke noodles were a huge win as we don't eat grains!), eggs and random meatballs or meat sautees that I make. So she eats *somewhat* healthy. It's the sugar I need to quash. Same with myself. It's a hard thing to quit when it's EVERYWHERE and in EVERYTHING. We are trying to become full-on Primal/Paleo but my DH is a soda junkie and I love me some wine/cheese and anything sweet. But this is another topic!

Do you think a combo of Xylitol candies, MT paste and severe drop in sugary crap (including dried fruit) will help? I might have to the do the MT paste when she takes a nap. I can hear her screaming about it now... doesn't like to be touched. She gets VERY upset when I attempt anything out of the ordinary roughhousing or snuggles. Darn it.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page