Does this look like lip tie on a 15 mo. old?! Really worried! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter had severe breastfeeding problems for the first 8 weeks and someone recently mentioned that they think she could have lip tie and that it can cause severe tooth decay. I've googled but cannot quite tell if my daughter has this or not. Can anyone comment? Is this going to be a problem for her? 

7582512186_f42ccfbf87_z.jpg

#2 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 AM

That could be a tie. For my daughter's tie, we went to an ENT to get it confirmed and clipped. Good luck!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM

My DD1 looked like that at 15 months (and until she was probably 2.5).  My dentist mention it like "be careful when you brush as they can tear really easily and it hurts a lot".  That was it.  DD has never had any decay in any tooth (and has a normal diet including some diluted juices and candy and twice daily brushing with a flouride toothpaste) and as her face grew the frenelum grew too and now it is basically gone/normal (she's 6 and is about to lose her second upper front milk incisor).  Honestly i have NEVER heard that they cause trouble except when they are severe and interfere with latch/suction in newborns and my dentist was totally unconcerned for her teeth when she mentioned it.

#4 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Yes, it looks like a tie. My son had an upper tie and it ripped. We just had his tongue tie removed with a laser this previous Friday. There's an awesome tongue tie support group on facebook that has tons of photos, advice, and expertise. It's called Tongue Tie Babies Support Group and has over 700 members. I have found the ladies there to be invaluable. In fact, just picked up some homeopathic remedies for his discomfort today per their advice and he's sleeping comfortably.  In my son's case, his lip tie caused tooth decay and the two ties called reflux/colic/gut issues. He's two years old and I JUST learned what a normal healthy breastfeeding latch feels like. 

Good luck! 

#5 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM

This is what my son's upper lip looks like too. I've wondered why breastfeeding hurts so  much, but I just thought it was me!! I've heard horror stories recently of lip/tongue ties caught later than 6 months though and worry that it might be too late, and is not worth the trauma to the kiddo. Any takes on that, choochootwo?

Moo.

#6 of 9 Old 07-22-2012, 03:17 PM
#7 of 9 Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

This is what my son's upper lip looks like too. I've wondered why breastfeeding hurts so  much, but I just thought it was me!! I've heard horror stories recently of lip/tongue ties caught later than 6 months though and worry that it might be too late, and is not worth the trauma to the kiddo. Any takes on that, choochootwo?

i would still do it, i just got my 3 year old diagnosed and he is getting his revised.

http://frenectomytoday.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/hello-world/

mama to one '07 and one '09
#8 of 9 Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Wow - subbing as I just realized both my kids have this!  And both had tooth decay (just the upper central incisor tips).  But I had just chalked it up to nursing in the night....

#9 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Yes, get it fixed. FYI : Lip tie and Tongue Tie usually go hand in hand. I was so worried about his lip tie and decay, I was shocked to find out he had a posterior tongue tie. This kind of tie is almost invisible but causes restricted tongue movement, speech issues, and can cause oral aversion with some foods. Nursing was not horribly painful for me, but it was a challenge and painful in the beginning and was uncomfortable later one. 

Children with lip and tongue ties that are going to cause issues often present with one, some, or all of the following : gap in the front teeth, high/narrow palate, colic or reflux as infant and beyond, poor weight gain, digestion issues, breastfeeding issues,  food aversion, dental caries. Gut issues that aren't addressed can lead to bigger issues. 

Do check out the linked website. Dr. Kotlow is very good about replying to email and photos. 

Our son has his tongue tie revised almost two weeks ago. The dentist opted not to do the lip, and Dr. K. disagrees with this decision. I found another dentist closer who'll do it. 

Since his tongue revision he's speech has improved, he's trying different foods, and his digestion is better. 

If you're considering revision, please john the facebook group. They have great ideas on aftercare and body work that should be done prior. 

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page