Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Dental (http://www.mothering.com/forum/308-dental/)
-   -   Give me a crash course in healing my daughter's teeth (http://www.mothering.com/forum/308-dental/1358347-give-me-crash-course-healing-my-daughter-s-teeth.html)

mamaC11 07-17-2012 06:53 PM

I've had it with my DD's poor teeth!  She's had so many cavities already (i'd say 10+, I lost count) and she isn't even 6 yet.  We're low sugar family, she has maybe 1 cup of juice (small cup) 1 cup of milk (again, small cup) and then water for the rest of the day.  When we first started having issues, we upped her flouride (yeah, I know!  this was way before I found this site and figured out how bad flouride really is) but the cavities, got worse.  We've completely made the switch to making our own tooth paste (coconut oil, tiny pinch of sea salt b/c i heard the minerals in it was good for tooth remineralization and baking soda--please feel free to tweek my recipe for her teeth health.)  I was flossing her teeth tonight b/c she had a piece of blueberry stuck in it and I noticed that her molar had what appeared to be another huge cavity...maybe it isn't a cavity...it just seems that there used to be more tooth there.  I have a dentist appt., but since school is out I couldn't get her in until nearly the end of august.  I'm sure if I call I can get just her in for a check (was trying to get all 3 of my daughters seen on the same day).  She's my little trooper and so beautiful.  I hate that we're struggling.  So, school me, teach me.  I need this to stop, I'm afraid she won't have any teeth left by the time she's a teenager!  Her appetite is good, she's happy, bouncy and loving, I don't feel that anything significant is off health wise.  Please help!

heatherdeg 07-30-2012 11:47 PM

Usually it's a nutrient deficiency of some sort.  I got this from a friend that remineralized her toddlers badly decaying teeth:

Quote:
The biggest steps are adding fermented cod liver oil and high vitamin butter oil from Green Pastures. They have a website you can Google for more info. We also added in a mouthrinse 2x a day which is made from 1 tsp granular xylitol plus 1/4 tsp calcium lactate. Swish that twice, then nothing in the mouth for about 1/2 hour. Eliminated gluten and been certain to get enough calcium and not too many starches/sugars. There are few other things, but these were the largest.  Recently, we started making our own toothpaste with xylitol and calcium lactate to increase the remineralization. It has worked completely and his teeth have fully hardened. He has decreased tooth structure from the decay, but the active decay is gone. You can Google Weston A Price and fermented cod liver oil for more info. Dr. Price had incredible results turning decay around following that protocol. :)

Hope this helps!

choochootwo 08-03-2012 07:24 PM

Our two year old son was showing definite improvement with nutritional and WAPF measures until we had a fluoride varnish and added ACT kid's mouthwash to his tooth brush. The ACT bit was recommended by a dentist. The decay got worse and quickly. 

We were seeing much success using FMCLO, K2/D3, calcium phosphorus, transdermal mag, cell salts, MI Paste, Squiggly Toothpaste, lots of eggs and cheese. 

There's a relatively new procedure called HealOzone and it's PAINLESS ( takes about 20 seconds per tooth ) and much less expensive that traditional dental work. Holistic or Biological dentists do it. It involves ozonated gas on the tooth to fill decay and filling if they deem it needed. Using ozone could negate the need for any drilling too, depending on the cavity. 

Good luck! 

countryangels 09-17-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

Usually it's a nutrient deficiency of some sort.  I got this from a friend that remineralized her toddlers badly decaying teeth:

Hope this helps!

Thank you :)

phathui5 09-25-2012 11:56 PM

What is transdermal mag?

choochootwo 09-26-2012 07:36 PM

On the skin. Spray, bath, etc. 

LovingMama2 09-26-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

What is transdermal mag?

mag = magnesium

Alenushka 09-26-2012 10:54 PM

Some kids have bad teeth. Blame the genes,

Get her to the dentist and fill all her teeth. The molar thing is most likely  a pit defect and you want to fill it before it gets worse.

ACT mouthwash is a good idea.

mamaC11 09-28-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Some kids have bad teeth. Blame the genes,

Get her to the dentist and fill all her teeth. The molar thing is most likely  a pit defect and you want to fill it before it gets worse.

ACT mouthwash is a good idea.

well it turns out the hole was a filling that had fallen out.  we had it refilled.  I feel so much better after her visit b/c for the first time since starting her dentist trips we have NO CAVITIES!!!!!!!!  this is HUGE!  We went no flouride after upping the flouride and her cavities got worse.  how much worse?  we went from 4 cavities to 9 in six months.  SO, i must passionately disagree with the above statement.  Flouride is her teeth's greatest enemy.

Alenushka 09-30-2012 06:08 PM

If you are not filling the cavities that she already has, you have an infection reservoir . 

Fluride is not a panacea for all cases. Another thing to try, besided filling everything right away, is to have clenaings every 3 months instead of 6.