Tooth crowding in 6 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am still very interested to know others' experiences, resources, advice, and information related to tooth crowding in young children.

My 6 year old son went to the dentist last week and he expressed being "very concerned" about my son's tooth crowding in his lower teeth (he's lost 3 bottom teeth so far and has 2 grown up teeth growing in. he's lost no top teeth yet). The dentist suggested orthodontic evaluation and possible extraction. No one in my immediate family (myself, parents and sister) have had any problems with this. My husband, on the other hand, had very buck-teeth growing up, was in an upper class family, and went through 4 years of intensive orthodontics starting at age 9. This caused years of significant head/neck/jaw pain and general dentist anxiety. I'm saying these things because these are the reasons I am very VERY nervous about starting any orthodontics so young.

I am into the least intervention as possible, obviously, and I am very interested in more holistic approaches. It seems logical to me that most orthodontists these days, besides seeking people's business and therefore money, are also primarily focused on straight teeth, possibly disregarding how their methods may affect other parts of the body. I am a RN and I see this in every area of medicine.

Because of these misgivings, I have looked into information about holistic dentistry/orthodontics, ALF (Advanced Lightwire Functionals), craniosacral therapy, and nutrition. So far all we have done is ordered some FCLO and made appointments with a local chiropractor. We live in a very small town in KY and there are no craniosacral therapists or holistic dentists/orthodontists anywhere nearby.

Again, I am mostly seeking others' experiences with themselves or their children having tooth crowding, whether you just let it go, sought aggressive orthodontics or extractions, or some other interventions.

Also, if anyone sought ALF or other kinds of holistic orthodontics, how expensive was this?

Thanks for any and all help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

I've only had one with a crowding issue and was told she would need orthodontic care later (she was about 8 at the time). Her teeth grew into place just fine with no intervention. 

That's not to say the same will happen for your child. Just sharing my experience. :)

Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My son had a similar experience with his teeth. As he grew, so did his jaw, and everything worked out. I guess it depends on the specifics of your situation.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 AM

My dh has always had some tooth crowding himself, and now has braces as an adult.  So obviously he waited until able to do anything about it, and didn't have any major problems (aside from places it was harder to floss or crooked looking teeth).  They didn't do any extractions either (he was told that they avoid doing extractions these days).

Can't speak about the other treatments you mention, but if it were me I wouldn't rush into anything and would seek out several opinions in the next several years before deciding anything.  

Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 AM

I just want to add that there are "functional" orthodontists who do not do extractions. My 7 year old has a crowded mouth and we are talking about putting in some kind of jaw expander (goes on roof of the mouth, you turn a dial every few weeks). Our ortho thinks it shoud solve the problem and he wont need further work. At this age their jaws are very malleable. We are also focusing heavily on nutrition - fclo, butter oil, broth, etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:12 AM

I am looking for similar information in a different part of the country, I am really interested in ALF, but no one in my state uses them and it doesn't seem they do in surrounding states.  Argh.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif

Tags
Dental
User Tag List