Tools gadgets, brushes, water picks, metal picks you would recommend to prevent tooth decay, gum disease, etc.? - Mothering Forums

 
Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
countryangels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi,

 

 

I have read of people using electric tooth brushes, metal picks, water picks, etc.

Which ones do you use, which brands do you recommend?

 

Any tips on helping to prevent tooth decay, gum disease, etc. will be appreciated!orngbiggrin.gif

Thanks.

countryangels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I have an E-series Sonicare.  It's a pretty basic model but I'm happy with it.  I don't recommend metal picks (or at least that's what my hygienist friend would say!).  I have a Water Pik that I got for when my son had a palatal expander but it was so messy we don't really use it anymore.

 

My favorite toothpaste is Now Foods Xyliwhite.  I use their mouthwash too, but not regularly.

 

You can buy special probiotics for oral health.  I also buy xylitol in packets for my kids to take to school.  After lunch, they rinse with water, pour the packet onto their tongue, and swish it all over their teeth.  We've definitely had fewer cavities since we added xylitol to the mix.

countryangels likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
countryangels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

I have an E-series Sonicare.  It's a pretty basic model but I'm happy with it.  I don't recommend metal picks (or at least that's what my hygienist friend would say!).  I have a Water Pik that I got for when my son had a palatal expander but it was so messy we don't really use it anymore.

 

My favorite toothpaste is Now Foods Xyliwhite.  I use their mouthwash too, but not regularly.

 

You can buy special probiotics for oral health.  I also buy xylitol in packets for my kids to take to school.  After lunch, they rinse with water, pour the packet onto their tongue, and swish it all over their teeth.  We've definitely had fewer cavities since we added xylitol to the mix.

 

 

Thanks for your tips!

 

Which special probiotics for oral health would you buy?

And what is the name of the xylitol in packets?

Thank you so much orngbiggrin.gif

countryangels is offline  
#4 of 7 Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/EXTRAORDINARYBEAUTY/ProbioticSmile/tabid/1890/Default.aspx

 

I buy Now Foods xylitol packets.  Now Foods is sort of a "generic" brand but I don't really think there's too much difference between brands of xylitol.  :)

countryangels likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
countryangels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/EXTRAORDINARYBEAUTY/ProbioticSmile/tabid/1890/Default.aspx

 

I buy Now Foods xylitol packets.  Now Foods is sort of a "generic" brand but I don't really think there's too much difference between brands of xylitol.  :)

 

Thanks so much!

 

I am a bit confused, Sonicare toothbrushes have a Flex Care, a Flex Care Plus,

A Diamond set, a platinum set. I am not sure if the Diamond set brings an air floss deal or not...

 

Do you know the difference between these? They have some discounts now...

 

And what is the difference between an air floss & water pik?

Do they do the same thing?

 

Thanks for yur kind reply & help:)

countryangels is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,717
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I bought mine at a discount club. It was two bases for $80. E- series I think. I've since looked at the website and yes, all the different types are confusing.

We have a water pick, so I know that shoots water. LOL. I'm guessing the other thing is just air?
countryangels likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
countryangels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

I bought mine at a discount club. It was two bases for $80. E- series I think. I've since looked at the website and yes, all the different types are confusing.

We have a water pick, so I know that shoots water. LOL. I'm guessing the other thing is just air?

 

 

Thank you for your post :)

countryangels is offline  
Reply

Tags
Dental


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 13,689

103 members and 13,586 guests
acupuncturemomma , bananabee , BarefootBrooke , belltree , blissful_maia , bluefaery , calico_aster , catladymeow , Chalex , Chaxanmom , Crazybean , Daffodil , Dakotacakes , Dawn's mom , Deborah , DungeonQueen , Emanresu , emmy526 , EmsMom , Evelynflower , Ewus , firmfoot , frugalmama , Galatea , gooseberry , grahamsherrie , grandisp , greenemami , inoregon , IsaFrench , jcdfarmer , Jewel5811 , julyaugust , K703 , kathymuggle , Kelleybug , kelz251 , kitchensqueen , kitteh , laneysprout , Lifted , lilgreen , lilmissgiggles , LiLStar , littlebearbear , mak127 , mama2004 , mama24-7 , Mama2ChicknLil , mamabear0314 , mamadance84 , MamadeRumi , mamamash , mariamadly , marilyn612 , MegaMama1 , Milk8shake , Mimi D , Mirzam , MissMuffet , mkat , momileigh , my3beasties , Mylie , NaturallyKait , neenamommy , newmamalizzy , nexxus , oaksie68 , orangemomma , PirateQueen , Ponyomum , prosciencemum , pumabearclan , Rebecasilvadefoote , samaxtics , SandiMae , sarafl , serenbat , shantimama , Shmootzi , sidrajedi , sofreshsoclean , sortacrispy , Sphinxy , Springshowers , sunrosespiral , SweetSilver , t2009 , taters , Teles , Tiffa , Tigerle , tomsmom31 , TrishWSU , VocalMinority , wassernixe
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.