Only way to get 2.5 year old to eat fclo -- is it worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2.5 year old has 4 cavities and I've tried chocolate and cinnamon flavored fclo from Green Pastures.  Naturally, he finds them both to be repulsive, yet if I put a 1/4 teaspoon in a smoothie with 2 spoonfuls of honey, he'll tolerate it.  Do you think the benefit of the fclo outweighs the negative aspect of that much honey everyday?

I've also tried ice cream and maple syrup (again would need about 2 spoonfuls).  He doesn't drink juice so that isn't an option.  Anyone else have any ideas for a really picky eater?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Bumping this up. Anyone have advice to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 09-23-2012, 09:02 PM

It is absolutely worth it. I've posted on this thread many times about my son's experience with tooth decay ( he's 2 ) and fclo plays a big part in his healing. 

But, you may be happy to know that I believe it can also be absorbed in the skin. There's a new facebook group called Natural Alternatives for Kids Teeth and this very subject came up yesterday. 

You also need k2 and D3 if you're taking fclo. If you're doing calcium too, add magnesium to it. :)

Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'll start back up again. It just seems counter-productive having him eat that much honey every day. What amount did you do you give your son per day?

I was giving my son 1/4 teaspoon, do you think that's enough? What is K2? Is that what's in butter oil? If so, we have the fclo butter blend.

How about D3 -- what is the best way to get a 2 year old to take it?

He hasn't been taking calcium, but I started him on magnesium (Natural Calm).

For awhile, I was rubbing a 1/4 teaspoon on his bottom while he slept. Not only did it smell really bad, I just felt like it wasn't accomplishing much, (not based on any evidence, it was just me doubting its usefulness).  

Thank you for your input!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM

I do 1 ml 3 times daily and I use a medical syringe. It's actually a very small one that only holds 1 ml. I find it dispenses a little bit more quickly and fluidly, less splashing around in his mouth. Can you sweeten with stevia? 

Yes, K2 is in the butter oil, but Green Pastures isn't sure how much. I called about it and they said the testing is about $5,000.00 and it was too expensive. I think at $70.00 a bottle, they can afford at least one test. Our son didn't digest the butter oil well, so we switched to Thorne Research's k2/d3 blend and he gets 2-4 drops 3 times daily. You can look for natural calcium sources, like raw milk or cheese. Gouda cheese has a good bit of k2 in it. Nettles have a nice amount of calcium and magnesium. 

Tags
Dental
User Tag List