need an amagam filling replaced, how important is it to take precautions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I take really good care of teeth at home but I've been bad about getting to the dentist.  I went pretty much regularly as a kid, then in 1994 when I was 17yo, then not again until 2010.  At that time, I had three tiny cavities.  I use a Sonicare, floss regularly, and limit carbs.  I thought I was doing pretty good, but got a coupon for a cleaning, exam, and xrays for $60 so went back to the dentist last week for the first time in two years.

It seems an old amalgam filling which was placed in the late 80's (I believe) has cracked in half and a chunk is missing.  The new dentist that I saw this last time doesn't take any special precaution, but offered to use a rubber dam to make me happy.  The price they gave me was $170 to have the amalgam removed and replaced with composite.  I've called four holistic dentists, and they won't tell me if it's likely to cost a lot more, except one who said it could go up to 800 freaking dollars for one removal/filling.  !!! 

So, what should I do?  I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue as it is; I don't want to do anything to make it worse.  But I've had lots of mercury exposure in the past...vaxxed on schedule (no boosters as an adult), other broken fillings (presumably, I swallowed the amalgam, as I woke up with a cracked filling and no chunks in my mouth), and when I was 5 or 6, my dad busted open an old mercury thermometer to let me play with the beads of liquid metal inside.

None of these exposures has killed me...but I am kind of a mess health-wise.  I also need to have my wisdom teeth removed.  I'm now 35yo, and there are 5, yes FIVE 3rd molars.  It's gonna cost close to two grand.  WWYD about the broken filling?  Should I let the mainstream guy do it, or just suck it up, dip into my savings, and have the crunchy dentist handle the amalgam removal?

Bring back the old MDC
#2 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh such a dilemma. 

I personally would take charcoal tabs just prior to your appt if you would like to spare the expense of a holistic DDS.  WOW!  $800 is waaay extreme of a price.  I worked for a holistic DDS for years and we would charge $180 for a 3 surface (sides) amalgam removal and low estrogen composite filling.  The initial exam was pricey, I remember it was about $300, then a prophy (cleaning) for around $100 if perio free. 

The big difference is when the amalgam is removed, a traditional DDS will not have a gas mask on, proper ventilation in the office (mercury grabbers sort of speak) and that is about it, when it comes to mercury removal.  Holistic DDS's are of course less toxic in all areas. 

I hope I was able to help a bit.  You have helped me so much here on MDC.  Thank you!

'09   
#3 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh and about the 3rd molars....  sorry about 5 of them but it is not that uncommon.  $2000 seems about right.  Are you going to have GA?  If so, that is about the going rate.  I am guessing you may have one sublingual (below the gums)? 

'09   
#4 of 6 Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

No, not GA.  The bottom two are completely impacted, and two up top have just barely broken through.  The fifth is just a little bitty thing, but I have to assume they will charge for a full tooth.  eyesroll.gif

I'm trying to convince myself that having the amalgam removed without extra care is worse than leaving a hole in my tooth.  Thanks for weighing in.  :)

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 6 Old 09-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

IME, the stress of what to do was much worse than getting it done.  I had a cracked amalgam that needed to be replaced while breastfeeding.  I STRESSED about it.  Then came to the conclusion that I really didn't want to wait to have it fixed, that I didn't want to risk losing the tooth, and that I didn't really have any other option other than a regular dentist just going in there and doing his thing. 

caffix.gif

#6 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To get a thorough understanding of the risks regarding amalgams and their removal see:

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/02/Sep02/091602/80027dde.pdf.

With so many references sited in this paper you may consider the statements as fact. 

Some individuals do a intravenous vitamen C drip before and after removal or just load up on many of the other chelators listed in the above article. 

The short answer to your question is YES, it DOES matter, and the rubber dam is not enough because the vapors released are very harmful

See:  www.stanford.edu/~bcalhoun/AStock.htm

I was very fortunate to find a dentist who was fully awre of the issues due to his recovery from mercury poisoning that was originally diagnosed as MS.

Wishing you all the best,

JoeBel4U

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page