Explaining tomorrow's procedure to DS (time sensitive) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

We found out late this afternoon that my almost 4 yr old DS has an abcess in a tooth and it will be pulled tomorrow morning. :-( We are going to the oral surgeon in the am and he will drink some medicine (valium-like ) and then they will pull the tooth out and clean up the gum, etc. They say he won't remember anything and will be very groggy but I want to make sure this is not very traumatic....

He knows that we are going back tomorrow and that he will drink "a juice" and then the dr will clean the tooth area to make the pain go away. It was a very stressful day and we decided not to be too specific about the procedure since he (we) will not have that much time to process all the information.

Now I'm thinking that pulling a tooth (one of his front teeth to make matters worse) is quite dramatic and that we need to tell him before the procedure that they will take it out. It is a part of his body afterall :( Can anyone suggest a good gentle way to have this conversation and to explain what will happen in the least scary way possible?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son also had to have a tooth pulled. He was put under though, so we explained that the dentist was going to put a mask on him and he would fall asleep. When he woke up, his mouth might hurt and his tooth would be gone. We also told him that when he got older another tooth would grow in its place. We were very matter of fact and didn't try and make it sound "nice," if that makes sense. I didn't want him to be scared, but I also wanted to make sure he knew exactly what was going on. Good luck!

joy.giflurk.gif

Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OP, how did it go?

We are likely looking at this, too, although we have a few other options to try first. But we had a disaster at the dentist yesterday, for the first time ever, he says he was feeling the drilling and screaming and wailing...so I'm alot more upset thinking I'll have to bring him back for an extraction. I feel so bad to put him through that. The dentist says it's not recommended for parents to watch b/c it's a lot of blood and looks painful. Ugh. I watch babies getting born all the time, but I guess when it's your child and he's seemingly in a lot of pain and you don't know how bad it is, it's one of the hardest things to watch. And to have him loose the tooth of course. But if he IS feeling the drilling in this deep cavity in his molar, the dentist says it is possible and that the tooth may need to be pulled instead of the intended pulpotomy. :(

I'm anxious to hear others' experiences. I couldn't sleep all night. I'm a ball of nerves.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Tags
Dental
User Tag List