Has anyone taken a combination approach (both modern dentistry and nutritional healing)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Mamas,

I recently found out that my 4 year old has some serious dental problems and I am so frustrated. Let me give you a little history and then I will explain the current situation.

Growing up, my baby sisters teeth came in brown. She was teased horribly for this and endured many traumatic dental visits. I left childhood with a strong impression that I would want to protect my own children from having such an experience. SOOO, when DD1's teeth came in at 13 months I brushed and flossed them every day from day one. Within two weeks she had her first dentist appointment. And every 6 months since then she has had her teeth cleaned and inspected. My DD is very sensitive and shy, so this was a difficult process for both of us because I had to restrain her. But I felt strongly about avoiding tooth decay or at least catching it early if she was prone to it. We do not do juice or soda in our home. In general we do not have crackers or other typical kid foods around. We eat mostly meat, fruit and vegetables. I make bone broth. I give her full fat plain yogurt. One area I am totally guilty is that if we get candy from a function or something I throw it in a glass jar and if she asks for a piece I let her have it. She rarely finishes it but I can't say I never let her have candy, although the quantity is rather small.

At the end of every dentist appointment I have been told her teeth look great.

This summer, I noticed (while using the back end of a flosser to scrape around the edges of her tooth on the gum line) that the flosser got caught in a little spot. I couldn't *see it* but there was definitly a small divet or something. I made a dentist appointment right away. At this point I had switched her from the pediatric dentist we were seeing to my dentist. I did this because I felt like our experiences had been so negative there with all the restraining, I felt like we needed a change of scenery. So we go to see my dentist and he is trying to be sensitive to our past and doesn't want to be pushy so he just does a visual exam while she is in my arms (without touching her) and says looks like reminerilization, nothing to worry about. That was 6 months ago. I felt like that spot kept getting worse but it wasn't getting discolored (which is what he said to look out for) so I just kept giving it extra attention while brushing.

This brings us to the current time. Last week, on 12/20 DD and I both went in for dentist appointments. I decided to have her see the dentist by herself this time, to see if this helped with keeping her calm and reasonable, it totally worked! She was a dream and even had fun! I was very proud of her. But indeed, that tooth I mentioned before and another spot I was concerned about were cavities. Our dentist doesn't do work on children beyond routine care until age 6 so he refered us to a pediatric dentist. The dentist he refered us to has been suggested to my by several of my AP Mom friends. So the next day, I had DH take DD to this dentist appointment, I wasn't expecting any new news since we had literally just been at the dentist the day before.

Imagine my surprise when DH calls to tell me they did xrays (have never been offered them before) and she has 10 (OMG!!!) cavities, 4 of them quite bad which will require pulpotomies and stainless steel caps. I. was. beside. myself. This is EXACTLY the situation I have been trying so hard to prevent. I am so discouraged. And angry that I have been taking her to the dentist every 6 months and such decay could happen under a professionally trained eye.

So, we have stopped all sweets, not that there were that many but still. I have some expensive fermented cod liver oil/butter oil gel and ghee coming. I am all for doing these nutritional things but I am not willing to take the risk that it might not work and her teeth could decay further over time, so we will be going ahead with the dental work (which BTW is going to cost us $1600 AFTER insurance). I'm just curious if anyone else has taken a blended approach like this and how that has worked for you. And if anyone has BTDT.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#2 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

So sorry to hear you are going through this Jenna. I'm bumping up the post in the hopes that someone will have some more info for you!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#3 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Sorry to hear that :(

Have you tried MI paste? My 4 year old's 4 back molars all had cavities, and I was able to harden them with MI paste, (as well as cell salts, xylitol gum, vitamin D, and colloidal silver, which I had always used off and on). I think the MI paste really made the difference.

mamacatsbaby likes this.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#4 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM

I used cell salts, cod liver oil, and butter oil for my DD and it didn't do anything noticeable. I think you really have to follow the tooth decay diet perfectly and for an extended amount of time for it to work. Our dentist gave my DD MI Paste to use (he wants her to have fluoride and her salicylate free toothpaste doesn't) but she is salicylate sensitive and the stuff is mostly benzoates so it broke her out. I started using it myself on a cavity I noticed recently and it is almost completely gone. The stuff is amazing and I have seen that some dentist offices go this route before fillings.
#5 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Just to clarify, I use the MI paste without fluoride. 

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page