No Dental Insurance Woes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2.5 year old goes to the dentist every 6 months and has since she was about 18 months. Over the summer, the dentist found a mild cavity on one of her front, top teeth. We had it patched no problem. We just went a few weeks ago for another cleaning and they found 2 more mild cavities on two of her other top front teeth. It seems like the front four are bad. Te rest of her teeth supposedly look great. The dentist can't figure out why. We brush twice a day witth toothpaste and after lunch I always run just a wet toothbrush over her teeth and we floss every day. She only does hemp milk at meals and then water between meals. No candy or junk food or juice. I give her cod liver oil and butter oil and we are gluten free. My only thout is antiobiotics when she was a baby...Anyways that is the background and probably all unnecessary for you to know.
My biggest stress is that my DH's job does not provide dentsl insurance so all of this is out of pocket. For the two cavities next week, it will cost us $768. I am not sure what to do. All of the private insurances seem expensive or fishy. And then I wonder if these teeth truly need to be fixed right now. She won't need anesthesia. Just a little laughing gas like last time. He said from prep to finish it will be 5-10 minutes like last time. So I am wondering if they are just overly proactive or if this truly needs to be addressed right now.
I guess I am not sure what I am asking you guys. I am just so stressed about the money. Any thoughts on any of my ramblings? Do any of you have private dental insurance? It is much appreciated.
#2 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 AM

My sister is in dental school, and she said that a lot of times the reason toddlers get cavities is from the saliva of their parents. The bacteria or cavities in our mouths get transferred when we share bites of food etc. I still do it! (and I've put off dental visits for fear of what they will find!) good on you for getting them checked! I would check with the dentist and explain the situation and see how essential they feel it is to do right now.
#3 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you thought about applying for the state children's health program? Those generally cover dental care.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPenguinMama View Post

My sister is in dental school, and she said that a lot of times the reason toddlers get cavities is from the saliva of their parents. The bacteria or cavities in our mouths get transferred when we share bites of food etc. I still do it! (and I've put off dental visits for fear of what they will find!) good on you for getting them checked! I would check with the dentist and explain the situation and see how essential they feel it is to do right now.

I have heard this and while I try to avoid sharing things, it's impossible to do some times!! I will call my dentist and see what they think. Even pushing it back could help save some more money. Thanks for the suggestion.smile.gif
#5 of 8 Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Have you thought about applying for the state children's health program? Those generally cover dental care.

I checked into a link that someone posted on another thread, but we make too much money. It really sucks that if you are low income you get free dental care for your kids, but if you make what they consider too much, you are stuck with high bills that you struggle to pay.

Hoping this is the last of her cavities...

Thanks for your suggestion though!smile.gif
#6 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM

Hi Ellas,

I have very naturally brittle teeth, and even with dental insurance regularly pay thousands out of pocket so I hear your woes. Honestly sometimes its just genetics- and its a huge burden. I would search for a dental school near you- the students will practice on you but these are more advanced students and its under the supervision of the professor who will be RIGHT there watching the whole time making sure they're doing it correctly. Usually the cost is much much less and a fraction of normal dentistry. Theres also some clinics that offer reduced cost dental care on a sliding scale basis or in some cases, free care (its much easier to get for children vs adults so this is a good thing for your child).

If all else fails most dental offices take Care Credit. It allows you to pay it off long term (about a year I think for that amount) with no interest. Hope this helps

#7 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Oh I saw your other question right now- private dental insurance is almost never worth the money or out of pocket costs (as is the same with most healthcare)

#8 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM

I don't know what dental insurance costs but probably more than what you have paid out of pocket, including this, over the past two years. 

This is certainly true of regular health insurance.  Every time I pay $100 or fill a prescription it feels like a lot of money, but family health insurance would be around $1000 per month and I would still have little copays here and there.  I think I've spent less than $1000 on medical expenses in the past three years, while if we were "responsible" and had insurance we would have paid over $30,000!  That is such an awful "just in case" bargain :(  

I suspect dental insurance would be the same.  If you are even an above average user, you would still receive fewer benefit dollars than what they pay because the money also funds the company, its shareholders, its employees and office space and then what is left is what's available for benefits.  Actual dental bills are paid with what is left. 

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page