Dental Work Under GA For 4 & 6 YO, Seeking Support, Advice, Suggestions...... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My two little guys, 6 and 4, are going to have some dental work done in the hospital under GA.  It is something I am dreading but after much consideration feel is the right thing for our family for a variety of reasons.  I am looking for other families who have gone through something similar, or not, willing to share some tips, guidance, support, thoughts, or what ever you can.

The details, well as detailed as I can get as I still have some questions to get answered:

My 6 year old DS will be having 3 stainless steel crowns, on molars, and one filling (I think only 1), on another molar.  There is also a possibility for a "baby root canal" (forget the actual term) in one or more of the teeth getting crowns, although the decay has not yet reached the nerve.  I feel good about the sterling silver option for the crowns.  As for the filling the three options all contain at least one ingredient I am uncomfortable with 1. Amalgam-Mercury, 2. Composite-BPA, 3. Glass Ionomer-Fluoride.  I am waiting for the dentist's office to call so I can get the specifics on the filling options (brand/manufacture, their preference/experience, not sure what else to ask them regarding the fillings)

My 4 year old DS will be having 4 (or was it 8, I know big difference, there was so much information at once that day!) stainless steel crowns on his molars.  I don't believe he will need any "baby root canals".  The dentist would also like to put crowns on his 4 front upper teeth.  She said the crowns would be stainless steel covered in a composite.  There are two options for the composite, one defiantly has BPA and the other she was going to look into.  I will request the same info about these that I request about the filling options mentioned above.  I was thinking of asking if she would do stainless steel for the front teeth, maybe not the nicest looking but possibly the safest, what to you think?  Also I have to ask why 4 front upper teeth as there is only decay between the middle two.

I am also considering asking to "wait and see" with my littler guy, his decay seems much less far along.  However she did mention that it seems the kids teeth didn't form properly for some reason as infants (there is a name for this that is escaping me right now but I think it has to do with the dentin(sp?) not layering properly).  The reason is hard, if not impossible, to know.  It could be because they were both exposed to antibiotics soon after birth from my breast milk (c-section with oldest, mastitis with the other).  Who really knows why, and honestly there not much reason to dwell on the "why" at this point, more important to focus on what to do now and in the future.

So anyone have anything to offer up in terms tips, suggestions, thoughts, questions I should be asking?  Experience with something similar, preparing for the hospital visit?  How did you explain it to your kids and prepare them for it?  Recommendations as far as filling/crown choices?  Questions for me? 

We do plan to undergo some diet changes as I think there could be some nutrients lacking and I hope to prevent this in the future with their adult teeth and just make sure my family is healthy all around.

Wow this got long, thanks for reading!!

ETA: I believe the crowns will be stainless steel not sterling silver.  It's been changed in the body of the post.

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page