fearful of changing diet of 7 yr old to cure cavities naturally - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 yr. old dd1 has 3 cavities and a couple other soft spots in her 6 yr. molars, which have only been in for about 8 months.  This shocked me, as I had my first cavities at 30.  I really didn't know what to think.  I took her to a second dentist, who said the same thing.  Wow, what do I do now?  The first dentist said she could fill the holes without using novacain if we did it soon, but I couldn't hack it.  At this point, we may be past that option and I'm not sure I want to do it anyway.

So, then the recent discussion came through on Mothering with all sorts of suggestions for natural dental care, including Ramiel Nagel's book, Cure Tooth Decay with Nutrition, which I had seen before.  Well, I've just finished reading it and my mind is reeling with what I should do.  He provides great arguments, based mostly on Weston Price's work, on healing teeth with nutrition.  It seems daunting, mostly because she is a picky eater who loves sweet things (dried fruit, jam, fruit, juice, raw honey, syrup) and carbs (bread, cereal, oatmeal).  She has strong emotions and I fear her push back and how to accomplish this without a storm in the house.

I don't want to force her to eat, but I do need her to make the changes.  Anyone have any experience making a major dietary shift for health reasons with a strong-willed, picky child?

I have a pretty good sweet tooth too.  We do eat a standard American diet, but with whole grains, raw honey for sweetener, organic and local meats and produce.  But, I'm just trying to figure out the dynamic of making this change with her.  I don't want to create a long term food control issue.

Any thoughts appreciated . . . :)

Caroline

Caroline goorganic.jpgtreehugger.gifhomeschool.gifhang.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 AM

I would try putting MI paste on her soft teeth. It helped harden my DD's molars (along with cell salts, xylitol, and colloidal silver). The MI paste really made the difference. I put in on her molars 2x a day and let it sit there.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

What does MI stand for?  I'll check out your suggestions, thanks!!

Caroline goorganic.jpgtreehugger.gifhomeschool.gifhang.gif

Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM

My 4 year old has 2 cavities behind his two front teeth.  One needs a baby root canal and a cap.  The other just a normal filling.  The dentist wants to use GA and amalgam fillings.  I asked if those had mercury and she said no.  I asked the lady on the phone making the appointment, so at least it wasn't a straight lie from the dentist herself.  But after my research, I have concluded that my mouth full of silver mercury could be why I have so many health problems.  

So I started doing research.  My son is VERY picky.  LOVES his PB&Js, cereal, hamburgers, hotdogs, spagetti, mac n cheese...etc.  I thought I was doing well by making sure he was eating organic, preservative free and limiting his sugar.  But apparently that isn't enough.  

So I have cut out all grains.  No more cereal, bread or pasta.  That is pretty much his entire diet!  He argued and threw a tantrum the first time I offered him a burger with no bun.  I just explained to him the truth.  He knows whats going on with his teeth.  He understands why. Sometimes he still tries to fight it.  But I don't give up.  And he fights it less and less everyday.  It has only been a week!  

I took him to Sprouts and got him grain free brownies and cookies for his treats.  I found grain free bread recipes that I keep messing up, but I will keep trying until I make him a PB&J!  

I also give him: 

vitamin k2 -  3 drops 3x a day.

cod liver oil - 1 tsp 3x a day

Bone Broth - at least once a day.

Homemade tooth paste (recipe from wellnessmama.com) - Brush 2 x a day plus I put a finger tip blob of it on and behind his front teeth and we sing a bunch of songs until he can't stand it anymore and rinses it out.  I do that because there is calcium in the toothpaste and I am hoping that his teeth will absorb it.  It might do nothing...but I'm doing it until the MI paste gets here. The toothpaste doesn't taste bad at all, I think its more of the texture that he doesn't like.

I am expecting butter oil and MI paste in the mail any day now.

I am also looking into getting some unpasturized milk from a local farm.  I need to do more research on this though.

I know how hard it is though.  As they get older, it is harder to change their diet.  My daughter is almost 6 and she is fighting this the hardest.  It helps that I give them sunday as their free pass day.  Today they had a bun on their hotdog and I let my daughter have a bowl of cereal.  I couldn't bring myself to let my son have one though because cereral is apparently really bad.  And he is the one with the cavities, not her.  

There are alot of bread, cake and cookie recipe on the web that are grain free.  I am starting to experiment with coconut flour and almond flour.  I will figure out how to change grandma's pancake recipe into something that we can eat!  If not, we will only have it on sunday I guess.  

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:58 PM

This is the only MI paste I could find.

http://sale.dentist.net/products/gc-america-mi-paste

Coupon code: md7g!f for 5%.  Its the highest value coupon code I could find.  Not much, but something.

I got the rest of the suppliments I needed from amazon.

I got the nordic naturals cod liver oil, and then I read that that one has very low vitamin content and to stay away.  Too bad because it tastes fine and everyone in my family takes it without an issue!  Go figure.  Apparently the brand, "blue ice" is a lot better.  It also has a combo of cod liver oil and butter oil.  So in some ways, its cheaper.  Because seperately I paid a lot more for the two of those.

Again, Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieWojo View Post

This is the only MI paste I could find.

http://sale.dentist.net/products/gc-america-mi-paste

Coupon code: md7g!f for 5%.  Its the highest value coupon code I could find.  Not much, but something.

I got the rest of the suppliments I needed from amazon.

I got the nordic naturals cod liver oil, and then I read that that one has very low vitamin content and to stay away.  Too bad because it tastes fine and everyone in my family takes it without an issue!  Go figure.  Apparently the brand, "blue ice" is a lot better.  It also has a combo of cod liver oil and butter oil.  So in some ways, its cheaper.  Because seperately I paid a lot more for the two of those.

Again, Good Luck!

Do you know if the MI paste has glycerin in it? Thanks :)

Did you get it with fluoride, if so, what type of fluoride is in it?

Is it $24 Dollars redface.gif ? How many ounces are in each tube?

Does anyone of xylitol mints made with birchwood instead of corn, and that is GMO free, organic, if so, what brand? Thanks.

Tags
Dental
User Tag List