Mothering Forum banner

Xylitol use to prevent cavities & reverse them. Can XYLITOL REVERSE tooth decay? Thanks..

Tags
dental
4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jackeke 
#1 ·
Hello ladies,

I read that xylitol can help to prevent cavities. if you place some in a cup of tea, do you rinse & brush your teeth afterwards, or do you leave your mouth alone, so the xylitol can do its magic?

Can you bake bread with xylitol?

Can children take it?

To prevent cavities in adults & children, how much should you take per day?

Will xylitol help REVERSE tooth decay?

How long to see results, months, a year, or how long?

Thanks so much, trying to heal my mouth naturally. :)

Really, really dislike dentists, and I do not have dental care right now....

#2 ·
Hi Country-

I use a bit of xylitol here and there- I prefer to take it in the form of hard candies and lollipops after I eat or drink things that are acidic. I don't personally see a whole lot on xylitol reversing tooth decay as much as I see it as a preventative tool. However I have heard that xylitol can help arrest decay that has already started (but again not stop it completely!)

D rjohns candies has a lot of good information about xylitol- and yes kids can consume it as well! However they may become a bit flatulent hehe. As will you
twins.gif

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackeke View Post

Hi Country-

I use a bit of xylitol here and there- I prefer to take it in the form of hard candies and lollipops after I eat or drink things that are acidic. I don't personally see a whole lot on xylitol reversing tooth decay as much as I see it as a preventative tool. However I have heard that xylitol can help arrest decay that has already started (but again not stop it completely!)

D rjohns candies has a lot of good information about xylitol- and yes kids can consume it as well! However they may become a bit flatulent hehe. As will you
twins.gif
Thanks Jackeke, very helpful.
thumb.gif

Do you by any chance know of a brand of xylitol mints that are GMO free of corn, but instead made of organic birchwood?

I do not want corn at all. ANd I do not want any GMO ingredients in the mints.

Also, do you happen to know if you can bake with xylitol powder?

And why are some people against ingesting it?

Thanks in advance :)

#4 ·
Hi countryangels

Mmm I buy these pseudo starlight mints http://www.drjohns.com/Simply-Xylitol-Peppermint-Hard-Candies-p/apep200.htm

They taste just like normal peppermints (maybe a tad bit stronger but not uncomfortably so) but I don't think they have little mints. And theyre made from birch xylitol in the USA

I know some people do bake with xylitol but I would be a bit worried about ingesting so much of it at one time. It does make your stomach very upset if you have too much, and some people don't digest it well and get the runs and stuff from it. Most people will experience a laxative effect if they have too much of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.