Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Dental (http://www.mothering.com/forum/308-dental/)
-   -   How to get children to take High Vitamin Butter Oil/Fermented Cod Liver Oil (http://www.mothering.com/forum/308-dental/1382102-how-get-children-take-high-vitamin-butter-oil-fermented-cod-liver-oil.html)

clarinetb 04-22-2013 07:32 AM

I decided to try this option as my 6 year old has had some terrible cavities filled already and I'm worried about her.

Now my 19 month old has a couple of very serious looking cavities in her front two teeth which has me really worried about her teeth! (no bottles, no soother, rarely has juice or cow's milk to drink.... only thing that could potentially be blamed is lots of nursing... :( )

Anyway, after reading I decided to get the FCLO with the Butter oil in it as it sounds like it had a better chance of being effective... and I got the gel one not capsules since I want to give it to the children... now I'm at a loss of how to get it INTO them! Just taking it off a spoon seems out of the question between texture and flavour. Any experience with a good option? Thanks so much!

EarthyLady 04-22-2013 09:12 PM

I don't know from experience, but I've heard that rubbing it into their skin is effective as well.

clarinetb 04-22-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

I don't know from experience, but I've heard that rubbing it into their skin is effective as well.

I didn't know that, quiet interesting! Might work better than getting them to consume it ;)

JulieWojo 04-22-2013 09:56 PM

I found the secret to getting my 4 year old to take it!!!

Nutella!  I put the butter oil in the fridge so that it gets solid.  Then I put about a half teaspoon onto the spoon and dip it in the nutella.  I make sure its totally covered so he can't see it.  He knows it there, but he doesn't want to see it.  He puts it in his mouth and immediately chases it with milk.  We do this 3 times a day with no issues!  

I don't have to do anything to get him to the take the cod liver oil.  He doesn't mind it as long as he has something to chase it with.  He loves taking the cell salts and vitamin k drops.  He doesn't know that their are probiotics hidden in his yogurt.

clarinetb 04-22-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieWojo View Post

I found the secret to getting my 4 year old to take it!!!

Nutella!  I put the butter oil in the fridge so that it gets solid.  Then I put about a half teaspoon onto the spoon and dip it in the nutella.  I make sure its totally covered so he can't see it.  He knows it there, but he doesn't want to see it.  He puts it in his mouth and immediately chases it with milk.  We do this 3 times a day with no issues!  

I don't have to do anything to get him to the take the cod liver oil.  He doesn't mind it as long as he has something to chase it with.  He loves taking the cell salts and vitamin k drops.  He doesn't know that their are probiotics hidden in his yogurt.

Thanks! This would work for my 6 year old. I'm not envisioning how to dip it in nutella to get it coated, but I dno't have it in the fridge right now, so maybe that is why :P
 Might be able to get the little one to take Nutella :P She has recently decided that peanut butter on a spoon in good... so maybe!

JulieWojo 04-23-2013 12:46 AM

When it is in the fridge, it turns more solid like real butter does.  I use the butter oil that is not combined with the cod liver oil though.  

I don't know the consistency of the combo so I couldn't say if this would work with it.  

Peanut butter should work too!

Good luck!

EarthyLady 04-24-2013 08:17 PM

Isn't nutella high sugar content?  If giving the oil for dental issues, that would maybe not work, right?

clarinetb 05-06-2013 08:51 AM

Thanks for the ideas!

We've had a bit of luck mixing with peanut butter and putting it on a spoon, or taking it from the fridge where it is slightly firmer and covering it in peanut butter. The baby doesn't seem to think it is weird, but the bigger one definitely tastes it, but at least we can talk about it ;)