Should I be concerned? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS is about 16 months old. In the past couple of months, I've noticed white creeping from his gum line down his four front teeth. No problem with the other teeth (he has a thick upper frenulum--perhaps causing food to get caught?). There was one spot on a tooth that was tinted a light brown. We are vigilant to brush his teeth morning and night with a homemade coconut oil based toothsoap.

We lean towards traditional eating/paleo. He has been taking FCLO since he was about 10 months old. He's also never been introduced to grains or sugar or juices. Just a bit of raw honey here or there and whole fruits. He loves his sauerkraut, veggies, and bone broth. 

For about three weeks, I've been giving him butter oil and also Vitamin K2 supplements (naturally occurring from Natto). I've also been using baking soda on his teeth about once or twice a week. His teeth were improving a lot. The little brown spot lightened and the white buildup went down. But then it just stopped improving. He still has a little spot and some white buildup, just not as much.

I'm just wondering if I should be concerned and contact a dentist. Should I keep watching it to see if it improves/gets worse? There is no decay that I can see...the tooth is still smooth and normal looking except for the discoloration. Any advice would be awesome!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#2 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When my now-seven year old had discoloration, I supplemented him with a liquid calcium from the health food store for a few months until it started to improve, at which point I started slacking off on it (though I should have continued since it seemed to be working).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If the tooth is hard and smooth and you don't see any decay, I wouldn't worry about it.  It sounds like you healed what was becoming a cavity.  You can take him to the dentist if it would ease you though.  No harm in a dentist checking it out.  But watching it and continuing what you're doing is what I do.  

#4 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks, ladies. I've read a lot of other forums since my original post and understand that the thick frenulum is probably what is causing the problem. I wonder if anyone gets them clipped at this age? I know it would surely require anesthesia which worries me, but wouldn't it be better than having the same for dental work down the road?

I guess the best thing to do is just watch and check for softening. I would take him to the dentist if I wasn't sure they'd never get a look in his mouth. He won't let strangers touch him and goes ballistic if they invade his space, so I do my best to protect him from those situations.

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page