Lesser of two evils-amalgam fillings or fillings which continuously give off fluoride? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So against my better judgment, last week I had 4 fillings-the first ever in my 32 years.  I was given the resin composite fillings, but now apparently I'm having a severe reaction to them and have been in excruciating pain for a week.  The dentist wants to remove these and try one of the two other types of fillings she has available-amalgam or another white composite which gives off fluoride to the tooth.

I'm disgusted either way.  I'm so upset I ignored my gut and had fillings in the first place.  To make things extra fun, I'm 20 weeks pregnant, so I tend to think the amalgam fillings are especially to be avoided, but I try to avoid fluoride as much as possible, because we have it in our public water supply which is bad enough as it is.

So, thoughts? Advice? WWYD?

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Hi freckled,

Just out of curiosity...do you trust your dentist? I hated my old one. They can damage nerves in the tooth while drilling making it ultra sensitive after a filling. Are you sure youre just reacting to the fillings? I dont think i've ever heard of that but im sure its possible. I just didnt want to rule out a bad dentist either

I personally never get amalgam anymore. I would prefer no fillings but...my teeth are just naturally weak despite good diet.

hug2.gif    goodvibes.gifstillheart.gif  

#3 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM

Like the pp, I've never heard of anyone "reacting" in that way. Perhaps he did drill to deep (?) It's not uncommon to have sensitivity and some pain after getting composite fillings. I had all my amalgam replaced, and one side of my mouth was perfect (no pain) and 2 teeth on my other side were killing me for about 8 months. One thing that's common is that they need to be filed down. Some people have to go in a few times to get the bite adjusted. If they are too "long", they will take too much pressure when chewing, and the newly filled teeth will hurt because the nerves are still recovering from the drilling. I would ask your Dentist about that before going in again and disrupting those teeth with more fillings. Perhaps get a 2nd opinion if you're not comfortable with this Dentist. Sounds a bit off to me.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#4 of 4 Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

I trust her a much as I'd trust any mainstream dentist, KWIM? I had the fillings swapped out Tuesday, and the relief came about 24 hours later. On the x-rays, it was obvious the fillings weren't into the nerve.

I went with the other kind of tooth colored filling, she tried to talk me into the amalgam, but I decided fluoride wasn't as bad as mercury.

Honestly, I wish I'd have just left them alone, because I do believe the emerging evidence that cavities can be healed, but I went against my gut and now I'm just happy to have relief from the pain.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Tags
Dental

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page