Root Canal on 7 year old..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

greensad.gif My son's permanent back molar is looking pretty bad. When it first came peeking over the gum line 2 years ago or so, I knew there was a problem. Our wonderful pediatric dentist has been "babying" it and trying to save it, but the last x-ray shows that a root canal is in order...

This is really bumming me out! I know root canals are best to be avoided and I have had some people tell me to just jump to an implant. Anyone out there had to have root canals at this young of an age....or had a child. We go for a consultation next Wednesday. I am also have a VERY hard time finding someone who works on very many kids, although the Edodontist I found has great ratings and will work on children as long as they are not kicking and screaming.

Any advice would be great, this is really worrying me, but I also know we have to do something about it before there is an emergency.

Thanks for any guidance at all!

Kathleen in San Diego

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 05:46 AM

I have no advice but I am bumping this up to try and get it some attention. 

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

Old 05-19-2013, 10:21 AM

How far back is it? Is pulling it a possibility? I've recently heard some pretty bad things about root canals. I have had one in my life. The thing is, once he has a root canal, he'll most likely need a crown later on. That's what happened to me, and I was told that usually happens. Crowns aren't cheap. Maybe an implant would be the answer.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My crown was about a thousand dollars. Implants are way more than that!

Tags
Dental
User Tag List