dental work on a toddler with no sedation..is it possible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

My toddler (will be 2 in Nov) has significant damage to his front teeth, likely from nursing at night :( No surprise, the dentist wants to put him under to do the work. We went through this with my other son, too. It is VERY expensive, and will be very difficult to afford the anesthesiologist's fee (I've yet to determine how much, if any, insurance will pay but regardless, we have to pay up front and be reimbursed by insurance. annoying.) I just called the dentist today and left a message to see if she'd be willing to give it a try with him wide awake.. some nitrous and a local and my lap, and see if he puts up with it enough for her to get anything done. Has anyone done that with a child this young? I definitely don't want to do the strap him down and let him scream route, that is NOT an option. He  did okay for the exam/cleaning. He sat in my lap, held still, held his mouth open for her. It just makes me wonder, can we just try the less expensive, less risky route first, before pulling out the big guns?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 3 Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did the sedation route with my daughter when she was 15mo, because she had rsv as a baby and flipped out when anyone had a mask on or when she saw something plastic or rubber come near her face... However, instead of the 4 crowns (front top teeth) they wanted to do I had them do 2 and some fillings on the less damaged teeth, thinking that if the fillings didn't last more than a couple of years at least she would be old enough by then to cope with a masked dentist.

If it weren't for the mask fear I would have done the least amount of work with our family dentist to get her to being old enough to do more, if at all. They won't give a little one nitrous because of lack of safety studies.

She is turning six in a month and her fillings are fine. Maybe your dentist can do something similar since your little will sit in your lap already? Buy yourself some time till he is older?

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#3 of 3 Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd had enamel erosion on her front teeth when they erupted as a baby, and at her 3 y/o dental appointment we were referred to a pediatric dentist and found we'd need to get crowns for those teeth plus one other filling.  She wasn't sedated - they had a great office that impressed me, dh sat with her and she got to watch dora on a special tv and had managed fine (did better for her appointment than many older kids).  

If your ds managed fine for a regular cleaning - you might see how much you can poke around for a different dentist who may be able to do the work without sedation.  It is expensive and absolutely the kind of thing that's good to ask around about.  

I've gotten the feeling that some dentists just really feel uncomfortable about a kid being able to hold still themselves and push for sedation when anticipating a difficult procedure on a child.  Then again, if other dentists suggest it to it may really be needed for the specific procedure and may just be the way to go - depends on the work that's actually needed.

Luck to you in figuring out what will work out best.

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page