What is the procedure of tooth extractions for a 2-3 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My son will be 3 in January.  When he was a year old, he stood up real fast in the tub and fell, bumping his two front teeth.  They seemed okay, but 4-5 months later, they began to get discolored.  Long story short, he's been seeing a dentist every three months since then because his two front teeth have been progressively getting worse- discoloration, chipping constantly, some decay, pain, but not every day.

The dentist has just suggested taking out his two front top teeth once my son turns 3, or, if they become a daily pain issue or become infected before that.  I'm not particularly opposed to that- I don't necessarily want a toothless kid, but one of his front teeth is bad enough so it's half worn down/chipped off, so it doesn't look all that good, anyways.  (He's got an overbite, so it's not like taking his teeth out will cause his to have braces- he already will have to.)  This is a very good dentist, highly recommended and award winning in my area, so I trust his integrity- he's not lightly suggesting extracting my son's teeth- it's obvious that they're not gonna last another 2-4 years until they fall out themselves.

Has anyone here had a 2-3 year old's teeth extracted?  Are they given anesthesia or expected to sit through the novacaine and possibly being held down, etc?  What if there's no way he'd sit still, he still screams bloody murder and needs me to hold his hands down (yeah, I know- I feel like a terrible Mother when I do) when the dentist just goes in to LOOK at his teeth.  Does it matter if he's on Medicaid, as in Medicaid doesn't cover anesthesia, etc?

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#2 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Anyone?

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#3 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

@kblackstone444 We have had 1 of my LO's front teeth extracted.  First, I told them she would be nursing in between getting the novacaine and the actual extraction. Because we did have to hold her hands down for the injection (they let me when she reacted to the dental assistant), nursing helped immensely.  It takes a few minutes for the novacaine to work, the dentist left the room so she could calm down.  When he came back, she sat back in the chair - with me holding her arms - and the actual extraction was pretty fast.  after, a gauze pad for a few minutes and it was over.  She was no longer crying before we even left the room.  She was 2 years, 4 months at the time.  She kept the tooth, is not traumatized, and handled it very well.

Our dentist walked me through the procedure before our visit, so yours might do the same - in case they might do something different.

It's intimidating, but over pretty fast and hopefully you have a dentist you trust.

Loving this Mama's life!  toddler.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed1.gifnamaste.gif

#4 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son broke his front teeth when he was 1.5 and byt the time he was 2.5 the teeth got infected. Removal was easy.

He got a little bit of laughing gas and the dentist just pulled it. It was over in few seconds. She did not use local as she explain the shot would be more painful and that the gas would work. It really worked well..

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page