Preemie Teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
DD was born at 27 weeks, transitioned to oral feeds as quick as one could, got EBM for a year, and eats normally. She brushes her teeth (and we help) okay, but not great (a bit of an oral aversion, plus normal toddler-ness). She is now 2.5. She has been to the dentist twice now and they have no concerns. But...

IMO she has enamel hypoplasia on her front and left upper teeth. They are weird shapes and the color is not bright white. I hate to think she'll have these goofy looking teeth for several more years, but oh well. When we went to the dentist, I was asking about the teeth (didn't use the term enamel hypoplasia b/c I didn't know about it yet). They said " it's just the enamel, her teeth are healthy." They didnt use the term either. Maybe they don't know about it? If her teeth are not decaying, is there anything else that should be done about her teeth? Not that I want it... Dental work with her would probably require sedation, but still... I'm comfortable with watch and wait but I could try to find a pedi dentist if she is missing out on the care she needs...

Also, have any other preemie moms had preemie-related issues with the permanent teeth?

(X-posted in NICU parenting)
#2 of 3 Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Anyone have any experience/advice for this mama!
#3 of 3 Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She could have enamel hypoplasia. If you are not satisfied with the dentist's answers, you could seek out a pediatric dentist who may be more knowledgeable about kids' teeth. 

Advice would be to make sure you brush her teeth well into elementary school, as my kid's dentist said that children don't have the manual dexterity to brush well until they can write neatly in cursive. 

For what it's worth, Enamel Hypoplasia is manageable, but requires a good relationship with the dentist and excellent home care to keep it from causing decay. 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page