Pregnancy and Dental Work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What do I need to know? If work needs to be done, what should absolutely be avoided? We have access to porcelain fillings here (better?)? We're on the US/Mexico border, and so have access to cheap-ish dental care. I have a recommendation for someone, but I also work in health care here and we see some *crazy* stuff! I feel that I would absolutely be respected if I said yes or no to something in specific, but don't have the information I need to feel confident about decisions. It's mostly fillings. I could use a cleaning (it's been a year), but am comfortable waiting on the cleaning. Are there certain things you would only do in certain trimesters? 

Thanks so much! 

For greater things are yet to come...

#2 of 2 Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I needed a filling and my dentist waited until my second trimester and wanted a note from my doctor saying it was ok. She tried to use a dental dam to keep the stuff she drilled out of my tooth from being inhaled. If the filling isn't so urgent, it could probably wait, but if you are having pain or there is decay down deep, you might not want to wait. I need an implant and I decided to wait on that until after my baby was born because it involved being sedated.
I still had all my cleanings. I would not skip the cleanings if I were you because pregnancy can cause the gums to be inflamed and that can lead to gum disease. It's extra important to take care of your gums and teeth during pregnancy for this reason.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Tags
Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page