Dental Angst - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-01-2014, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dental Angst

I am missing our old dentist. He retired and the young guy who took his place is nice but....
Old time dentist was amazed by how nice and healthy my teeth are and my husband's. Good bites, we have all our wisdom teeth, no cavities, etc. He said our kids inherited our good teeth and he could tell cleaning was important to us as our kids's teeth were nicely taken care of at home. Since he retired, new guy has tried to get me to have sealants put on my two older boys teeth...I think they have recommended the process at every cleaning. I asked if there is any cause for concern (i.e. signs of decay). No, but "this can be a preventative measure and most children have it done as an extra precaution because kid's lack the dexterity to get their teeth as clean as they need to be."
At the latest visit, the new guy reports that my oldest has an extra tooth. (If you draw a midline, his third tooth is extra on the left side and then everything resumes to normal....K9, molar, etc) He wants to take a panoramic X-ray next visit (in 6 months) to see if this tooth is an extra baby or adult tooth. Apparently he can't tell for sure?!? If it is baby, he recommends pulling it and moving the rest of the teeth down using braces. He says if the space is left open,"the teeth will tilt in to fill the space and mess up his bite." He did not say what the recommendation is if the tooth is adult. I was too hung up on the mention of braces to think to ask. BTW no one on either side has had braces.
So....is this necessary??? I feel like I am at a mechanic shop that you don't really trust and they may"fix" something that doesn't really need to be fixed. I don't need my kid's teeth to be perfectly straight so he can be a model on a dentist's billboard. Of course, if he needed work done, we would find a way. I love my son.
I see this move from no nonsense dentistry and it bothers me. Thoughts, please.

Baker's Wife and Catholic Unschooling Mama to Simeon (12), James (9), Amos (7) and Annie (4) and Jonah (2)
#2 of 8 Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Am I in the wrong spot for this post??

Maybe no one can speak to my specific situation but has anyone been in a similar spot of distrust with their dentist?? I don't think a second opinion would help. I want to find someone who shares my "basic dentistry" philosophy. I have asked around and my options seem smiler, just further away.

On a related note --I just got the bill today for the boys. Ouch!! Are bitewing X-rays really necessary every other year?? Flouride treatments every 6 months?? And if bitewings are recommended for growing children, how about for my husband and I (36 and 37, no cavities or other teeth problems)?? Every 2 or 3 years for us they want to take bitewings.

How can I find out what is truly necessary for healthy teeth?

Baker's Wife and Catholic Unschooling Mama to Simeon (12), James (9), Amos (7) and Annie (4) and Jonah (2)
#3 of 8 Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Am I in the wrong spot for this post??

Maybe no one can speak to my specific situation but has anyone been in a similar spot of distrust with their dentist?? I don't think a second opinion would help. I want to find someone who shares my "basic dentistry" philosophy. I have asked around and my options seem smiler, just further away.

On a related note --I just got the bill today for the boys. Ouch!! Are bitewing X-rays really necessary every other year?? Flouride treatments every 6 months?? And if bitewings are recommended for growing children, how about for my husband and I (36 and 37, no cavities or other teeth problems)?? Every 2 or 3 years for us they want to take bitewings.

How can I find out what is truly necessary for healthy teeth?

#4 of 8 Old 06-06-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Oops...looks like I posted twice last time.

Does anyone know of a resource that might help? Is there a dentist equivalent to Robert Mendohlson's "How to Raise Healthy Kids in Spite of Your Doctor?"

#5 of 8 Old 06-08-2014, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody, huh?

#6 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Well, I can't help but I'll rant with you! I hate the "bad mommy" vibe I get for questioning things. Every time I refuse the routine x-rays and sealants it's the same go-round: "no, unless you see a potential issue" "But it's REQUIRED!" "Why?" "Because baseline diagnostics blah just in case blahblah the dentist says so blah" Big sigh, "ok send the dentist in, rinse and repeat. Argh.

I miss my old fashioned dentist too. The one who when I went in with a problem would FIX it right then and there. Now it's one appointment to see the problem, another one to "discuss a treatment plan", yet another to actually do something about it.
#7 of 8 Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Disclaimer: I'm a dental student.

I think you have a newer dentist who wants to be VERY sure he doesn't miss anything. It's a big responsibility!

At my school, they stress risk assessment, and going with the least invasive treatment possible for each patient. For a patient with no caries in the last year, good hygiene, and regular checkups, they tell us to consider asking them to come back in 9 months instead of the standard 6.

Again, huge disclaimer: I'm a student and therefore know just enough to get myself into trouble! But going by what I have been told in lecture, the frequency of x rays you describe sounds reasonable. Keep in mind that caries between the teeth are sometimes impossible to see without an x ray- and that if they are caught before they become "cavities", the teeth can often be remineralized.

The sealants are pretty common. If they have adult molars, remember those teeth will hopefully be in there for many decades, including maybe some years when they are teens and too busy to brush. On the other hand, if they are coming in for cleanings, the doc will likely catch discolorations before they become decay, and it would not be unreasonable to want to wait. Your kids are not generic "kids who lack motor control", they are your kids, and the evidence of how well they clean is right there! Some teeth have particularly deep crevices, and it can be a good idea to just seal those and save a lot of heartache.

I don't know about the orthodontics... is the extra tooth out of line with the others, or causing crowding? I think this would be something for an orthodontist to look at if you think he might have a point. Both crowding and spaces left for a long time can cause problems that are cheaper and less painful to head off.

It can be hard to tell if a dentist is on the same page with you re: doing things for your health vs. wanting to look like a movie star and/or remove every possibility of risk from your mouth. It doesn't hurt to be up front about your goals, and if the doctor doesn't seem to get what you're talking about, find one that does. It's not unusual, so I hear, for a lot of patients to jump ship when a new dentist buys out a practice.

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#8 of 8 Old 06-14-2014, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellsoup View Post
Oops...looks like I posted twice last time.

Does anyone know of a resource that might help? Is there a dentist equivalent to Robert Mendohlson's "How to Raise Healthy Kids in Spite of Your Doctor?"
You might try "Kiss your dentist goodbye" (written by a dentist).

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page