Can teething cause a fever & runny nose? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2004, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has had a mild fever and stuffy/runny (clear) nose the last couple of days. She is a total cranky-pants too. At first I thought it was a cold, but I looked in her mouth today and saw she is getting another tooth, a molar this time. I can see it just below the gum surface.

Can teething cause a fever and runny nose? She's so cranky it's hard for me to believe this is just a cold. Plus, the last two nights she has been waking up a lot at night.

What can I do to help make this better for her? I've tried the Hyland's Teething Tablets but they don't help her at all. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 09:05 PM

IMO definately! I've heard some doctors say it's BS but with all three of mine I've seen a runny nose, diarreah (sometimes diaper rash), and a rash around the mouth (when one is actually breaking all the way through). I have heard of mamas who say their babies get slight fevers too. I think mine have a couple times too but I can't remember who and when. I would think the fever would be no more than 100 degrees though. So, I say yes. You sound in tune with your baby and my general rule is that Mama knows best.

Oh, the hylands never quite cut if for mine either. This sounds strange but I let them chew on a bag of frozen vegetables. They love it and it numbs the pain. Just hold it for them and watch them to be safe of course. The other thing I found that's guartanteed is GummyRub. I think you can get it at Whole Foods. It's really nasty though and your baby will get really upset when you put it on her gums. After a minute though she'll be pain free and happy and relaxed. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2004, 12:17 AM

My son's nose runs the whole time he is cutting a tooth. Right now he is working on his eye teeth.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 05-04-2004, 07:40 PM

Ds always (and still does get) got a runny nose while teething, along with red cheeks and a rash around his mouth. I never checked wrt to the fever, but if he did, it was very lo grade. I think it's possible to get a lo fever when teething, but in general they're just more prone to illness when they're teething cuz they're putting EVERYTHING in their mouths and drooling all over the place .

Have you tried Camillia? It's a homeopathic teething remedy made by Boiron. It did wonders for ds. Oh, and a frozen washcloth does great things as well.

Hope your wee one feels better soon!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

User Tag List