Orthodontics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Orthodontics

What are your opinions on early orthodontic treatment for kids?Both DH and I had braces. DS1 has his first adult tooth now, and I don't see how it is going to fit in the space. It seems that kids are getting braces so early nowadays. Are there actually proven benefits to get issues addressed so early? They recommend a child go for an ortho consult once he starts with adult teeth. But it seems like a money grab to me. I had braces for a couple years. I just can't imagine prolonging that whole experience starting so early like they now recommend.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I would like to hear what other people say regarding the benefits of doing it early. My niece is 9 and she started treatement when she was 8. They said she may have to get braces again later in life also. I am personally against doing them too early because of my own experience. I got my braces when I was 10. I was not good at taking care of my teeth then. The bands were cemented to my molars and they would get loose and food would get trapped in them and I got cavities which turned into needing crowns and an implant. Maybe they have a better system than the old bands these days that don't do as much damage to the teeth. I also had mine on for over 3 years. I wish I had had them later and that I had learned earlier the importance of good oral hygiene. If orthodontics these days are better because they start young and the braces aren't on as long, that might be helpful. I think any kid with braces needs to do their best to keep their teeth clean. A water pik would be helpful since they can't floss.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

User Tag List