• 1 Post By pumabearclan
  • 1 Post By sillysapling
  • 1 Post By sillysapling
  • 2 Post By pokeyac

#1 of 8 Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reassurances... My teeth, the baby's teeth.

I'm sorry to be "fishing", but I need just a little reassurance that I'm doing this an appropriate way...

I have had a long history with soda, poor nutrition and poor dental hygiene. I'm 28 years old now, 11 months into nursing my first baby, and things are finally catching up.

I'm getting prepared to have about 14 fillings either done or replaced, including all of my amalgams, and fillings at the gumline on 10 of my front teeth (all 6 on top and 4 on the bottom) in a very long, very sedated appointment.

Did I mention I have terrible dentist anxiety from having an accessory nerve, leaving my to feel every filling I ever got until I was 21?

So the dentist has confirmed (besides knowing it all along) that my extreme dental decay and decalcification is entirely due to soda consumption, most likely coupled with lack of hygiene. I'm entirely on the care train now, but wish I hadn't waited until I was a parent to learn that I need to take care of my body because this is the only one I will get.

So anyway, the reassurances... I've of course cut soda out of my diet entirely, and we originally added in vitamin K2, calcium, fish oil, prenatal vitamin (regular adult vitamin for DH), and iron supplements when I got pregnant. We now brush with coconut oil 2x daily using the Bass brushing method with standard toothbrushes, floss before brushing in the pm, and DH and I use ACT flouride mouthwash 2x.

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD DO TO MAKE SURE THIS KIND OF DENTAL FUTURE DOESN'T HAPPEN TO MY BABY BESIDES ACTUALLY CARE FOR HER TEETH AND GIVE HER SUPPLEMENTS WHEN SHE IS BIGGER?

My DH has fantastic teeth despite also being spotty on hygiene and nutrition here and there. So far, DD's 4 baby teeth are gorgeous and pearly white and the most beautiful teeth I've ever seen. Does this seem to imply that we are caring for her teeth appropriately?

Thank you to all who reply, I appreciate all recommendations if you have any. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
It sounds like you are taking the right road. Stay motivated. It is easy to get a lot of product or such for teeth and then get exhausted and forget your goal. Our mouth is the highway to our health. I'm glad you realize this. I don't think you will need to get a supplement for your child but what you need to continue to do is model good oral care and brush your babies teeth, even if they have just one. And a bit part is don't be in a rush to introduce sugar. This has worked for us so far. My 3 year old has not ever had a piece of candy yet and he is okay. We just felt like he had his whole life to become a sugar addict. Right? I love chocolate! Anyway, I also had my son's teeth checked as soon as he got teeth 18 months,2 years and 3 years. I think it helps them to not develop anxiety about going to the dentist, which you have and I have.
Stay motivated mama!!
#3 of 8 Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Here's what I would do instead, just personally:

-instead of brushing with coconut oil, use it for oil pulling instead. http://authoritynutrition.com/oil-pulling-coconut-oil/
-Get or make a clay-based toothpaste (there are some great remineralizing toothpaste recipes out there)
-Look into orawellness. I'm a big fan. http://www.orawellness.com/ You can put it on your floss, use it to brush your teeth, or put a few drops in water to make a mouthwash. It's a tiny bottle, but I've been using it daily for a few months and haven't even used half of it.

Personally, I'm not using any additional fluoride, I figure we get enough through tap water, even most filters don't remove it, but that one's your call.

Natural methods aren't enough for everyone, though. My partner has mouth problems that lead to excessive plaque build-up and what works great for me doesn't do anything for my partner. This is more a warning for other people, it doesn't sound like you're having any problems.
pumabearclan likes this.

#4 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
In addition to the very good advice you've received from sillysapling, consider a high-fat low-carb diet (After 6 years of "there's nothing to clean" I don't even go to the dentist any more).

We do NOT use any glycerine or silica toothpastes: glycerine is a sugar that attracts & creates plaque and silica is extremely abrasive. We use only natural boar toothbrushes with baking soda, edible clay, and essential oils. Swabbing with resinous oils before bed such as myrrh will be very good for gums & for dissolving buildup on teeth.

Be attentive to reflux, even in children, this is a prime cause of plaque and gum disease. Elevate the bed or use pillows in bed and practice pranayama to reduce reflux.

Drink a lot of water. We drink a pinch of edible clay in water several times a day to reduce any corrosive agents in the mouth and stomach.

Otherwise it sounds as though you doing a lot of good. Stay positive, these issues can fluctuate over the years.
sillysapling likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM

I'm starting to believe the idea that different people have different metabolism types. I've seen enough people say they did very poorly on a high fat/low carb diet and very well on a high carb/low fat (I've even heard claims of that diet leading to tooth remineralization even though it's the opposite of the diet I've heard for it).
So I agree that it's definitely worth a try, but if it isn't working for you, it may just not be right to you. I've seen a few people who really believed in paleo stick to it even though it was making them very sick, and they got better when they went back to a high carb/low fat diet.

Whatever your diet is, you want to go as healthy as possible. Different people have different opinions on what 'healthy' fats means, you may want to just find what works for you. Coconut oil is a good one, though.
pumabearclan likes this.

#6 of 8 Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
What is the Bass method of brushing?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 8 Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyac View Post
What is the Bass method of brushing?
http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...like-an-adult/

It suggests using a specific kind of toothbrush, too, but I only knowone company that makes them and you have to order online.
I think Oral-B is working it's way onto the trend, I saw a toothbrush commercial with rounded bristles from them that I'm planning on checking out.

I've never had a serious problem with gum disease or cavities and since ditching "normal" toothpaste I actually enjoy brushing my teeth and have no problem doing it for long enough, so I just do whatever feels right (actually ends up fairly close to the Bass method, now that I read it). My problems are all stress-induced grinding. :|
pokeyac likes this.

#8 of 8 Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thanks @sillysapling !
pumabearclan and sillysapling like this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page