Almost at last resort - GA for 5 cavities in 27 month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-12-2004, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to this forum ... and need some help and support. Our 27 month daughter has 4 cavities on her front teeth and one in a molar with perhaps more decay (the DDS can't get a good look). We visited 5 dentists in Memphis and in the end found one that was willing to try patches on the front until in office sedation could be used at age 3/30lbs. to put caps on front and back molar. In February the teeth were patched but one fell out and we just had it re filled today. Our daughter was even less thrilled to be back to the DDS. He was able to get the work done but now feels that we should pursue GA and have the work done at the local peds outpatient facility. We had been trying to avoid that at all costs - I am terrified something might happen (1 in 250,000). But at the same time the DDS said the molar cavity had gotten worse so I am worried about a dental emergency coming up. Another reason he his now recommending GA is that he does not want to ruin future visits and dental work for her. On top of that he doesn't know how she will react with the sedation since she is already not happy about getting in the chair (sitting in her Dad's lap). We think she is a pretty tough kid and seems to handle things well once she is out of the chair. But it is a bit of gamble -- a dental emergency vs. risks of GA vs. chance that in office sedation does not work vs. need for GA at age 3 because decay is so advanced. I've read lots in the archives and that has helped but if anyone has thoughts on this I am all ears (or eyes ).

Thank you!
Sad in Memphis
#2 of 2 Old 05-12-2004, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sorry you are going through this! We had a very similar experience last year with my dd. She had chipped some teeth and decay had set in. She received four caps at age 23 months with only a local (shot in the gums). We were not comfortable with putting her under and did not want to wait until she was older. Her poor teeth were giving her constant pain. The procedure did not take more than 20 minutes and I was able to be with her and hold her the entire time. I would not have done it had I not been able to. I gave her some homeopathic remedies before going in=arnica(for bruising and trauma), calm tablets for stress, and Rescue Remedy, (I even took some myself as it is very tramatic for the parent as well to see your child so distressed. At this office, they use a papoose for restraint, I was not totally comfortable with this, but they worked with us and allowed me to hold her so she did not have to be totally strapped down. I talked to my dd for the weeks leading up to the procedure so she knew what was happening to her and I could remind her as they did things. She did cry, she even drifted off to sleep, all in all it was traumatic for us, I think more so perhaps for me, as she came out of it feeling proud that it was done and showing off her new teeth. I don't know if hearing any of this helps, but feel free to question me if you need to.

Good luck,
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Tags
Health Healing , Natural Dental Care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page