infected root canal, retreat or extract? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
infected root canal, retreat or extract?

Hi Moms!
Thank you for reading and any help you can provide. ..

So, I have an infected root canal. I originally had the root canal 20 years ago. 10 Years ago I had it retreated due to infection. Now, 10 years later (20 years since original root canal) it's infected again.

I went to a biomimetic dentist and she recommended retreating if possible. When questioning her, she stated she had root canals too and they can last a long time.
Rewind back a bit. ..
I have seen a holistic dentist once, before this dentist moved out of town. I saw her for a different infected tooth and she removed/extracted it claiming root canals are unhealthy and toxic. I now have a titanium implant in that space where that one was extracted.

Fast forward to right now. I have to decide between retreating this 20 yr old root canal as recommended by my current biomimetric dentist and the endodontist i just saw sge reffered me to .... or get a second opinion by either driving an hour to see the closest holistic (dr huggins) dentist or just be referred to a local person to go ahead and extract.

I'm overwhelmed and looking for support.

Thoughts??? Advice???

This dental stuff can get so overwhelming at times i find myself questioning everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I would give up the tooth

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 3 Old Today, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2ashlynn View Post
Hi Moms!
Thank you for reading and any help you can provide. ..

So, I have an infected root canal. I originally had the root canal 20 years ago. 10 Years ago I had it retreated due to infection. Now, 10 years later (20 years since original root canal) it's infected again.

I went to a biomimetic dentist and she recommended retreating if possible. When questioning her, she stated she had root canals too and they can last a long time.
Rewind back a bit. ..
I have seen a holistic dentist once, before this dentist moved out of town. I saw her for a different infected tooth and she removed/extracted it claiming root canals are unhealthy and toxic. I now have a titanium implant in that space where that one was extracted.

Fast forward to right now. I have to decide between retreating this 20 yr old root canal as recommended by my current biomimetric dentist and the endodontist i just saw sge reffered me to .... or get a second opinion by either driving an hour to see the closest holistic (dr huggins) dentist or just be referred to a local person to go ahead and extract.

I'm overwhelmed and looking for support.

Thoughts??? Advice???

This dental stuff can get so overwhelming at times i find myself questioning everything.
If it can be repaired with a re-treat, I would do it. the longer you have your natural tooth the better. You have had a root canal on that tooth for twenty years with no problems or side effects from its supposed toxins and it lasted the normal life expectancy. Consider the costs and if you end up unhappy you can always get it removed and replaced in the future.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page