Toothbrushes/toothpastes/mouthrinses - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How often do you change your toothbrush?
Change the toothbrushes? 1 25.00%
every2-6 months 37 100.00%
everytime we get sick 4 100.00%
when the blue thing in the middle dissappears 4 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 97 Old 12-06-2001, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering- what toothpaste does your family use??
We recently discovered Weledas salt toothpaste and are definately addicted!!!
#2 of 97 Old 12-07-2001, 10:14 AM

We use different ones for different people-I use Ecodent toothpowder with myrrh,it is nonfluoride & made for homeopathic medicine users. www.eco-dent.com
Ipsab toothpowder for times when my gums are irritated,it has prickly ash bark,salt,peppermint oil,& is nonfluoride.
We use Glycothymoline mouthwash which is also great for diaper rash(diluted with water).
My hubby only uses Crest!

::
momma to 4
#3 of 97 Old 12-07-2001, 03:43 PM

We use Tom's of Maine
#4 of 97 Old 12-10-2001, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Somebody wants to get Owen one of those "spin brushes" for christmas (I know, how lazy can you be? but I think it might help him ENJOY brushing his teeth?!)

However, somebody else told me that those brushes remove a layering of enamel off their teethies?

Does anybody know anything about this? Are those brushes bad for people to use??

HELP!

Emily

#5 of 97 Old 12-10-2001, 07:45 PM

I haven't seen any research on it, but my gut reaction is that it depends on the duration/frequency of brushing and the abrasive level of the paste used. I bought my dd one(as she was totally resistant to brushing for the first yr and a half or so, and it got her interested My son has a fancier one, an Interplak I think, and as he tends to be a sloppy brusher, I think it helps to get more done in less time. Of course, we also all have "manual" brushes, which we use off and on/parents almost always; you know how we old fogies are, lol!
I'd be interested in hearing from others on this one. I have a friend who believes strongly that brushing more than once a day in any form damages the enamel, and of course, I tend to think that in a perfect world, our diet/lifestyle would make reg. brushing obsolete. But we don't always eat only raw veggies/fruits anymore, ya know? Kim
#6 of 97 Old 12-10-2001, 08:03 PM

DH will only use Naturesgate peppermint. The kids and I usually use NG fennel. But sometimes Peelu, which is nonabrasive and great for plaque prevention. (but not, imo, so great on texture/taste). Oh, and Naturesgate also makes a cherry gel which the kids love. I find it a bit too slimy and sweet We've also used simple baking soda with a touch of peppermint oil in a pinch. As long as it is free of flouride and a few other ingredients, preferably contains certain minerals/nutrients, and some ingredient to balance the PH level, it'll do for us
#7 of 97 Old 12-10-2001, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Make your own homemade natural tooth powder does a great job of polishing my teeth and leaves my mouth feeling clean and refreshed. It doesn't have that very sweet flavor found in conventional toothpastes.

To make the tooth powder, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/4 cup of fine sea salt, 1 teaspoon of myrrh powder, which is sold in natural food stores, and 10 drops of peppermint essential oil.

Baking soda whitens teeth; that's why it's included in so many commercial toothpastes. Sea salt polishes your teeth and tightens your gums. Myrrh fights the germs that causen periodontal disease, and peppermint oil refreshes.

Store the mixture in a tightly covered container. (After one month, you'll need to replenish the peppermint oil, which dissipates.)

To use, scoop about 1 teaspoon of the tooth powder into a shallow dish. Wet your toothbrush, dip it into the powder, and then brush your teeth and rinse as usual."

Worth a try?

Love,
Emily

#8 of 97 Old 12-10-2001, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
they are so fun. Evryone brushes more now that we have twirly brushes. I have no enamel on my teeth (my mom took antibiotics while she was preg.) so I guess I have nothing to worry about. As for madeline who hates brushing and Lilyka who just likes to eat the tooth paste they are a God send.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 97 Old 12-11-2001, 12:39 AM

#10 of 97 Old 12-11-2001, 04:48 PM

I use Toms of Maine peppermint, my dd uses Weleda Pink Toothpaste with Myrrh
#11 of 97 Old 12-14-2001, 12:28 PM

Tom's of Maine fennel with propolis and myrrh, dessert essence with tea tree oil, or Auromere ayurvedic with neem. The latter is my fave, but dh doesn't like it, so I usually buy the others, which have a similar taste but smoother consistency (which is why dh doesn't like auromere. Too gritty to him).

DD uses Tom's silly strawberry, but she likes to refill her brush several times and she eats the toothpaste, so at the second refill she gets what we're using so as not to overdo it on the flouride.

I love listerine, too.
#12 of 97 Old 01-04-2002, 12:51 PM

I've seen a few posts on using electric toothbrushes on kids. We just got a sonicare for ourselves and discovered that our 16 mos. ds actually enjoys teethbrushing if we use it. I checked with the dentist on this and was told it would be too much vibration for his little developing roots. I can understand that rationale but also think that vibrations would cause the roots to grow stronger (kind of like a tree living in windy environments has much stronger roots). Smilemomma, can you provide a second opinion?
Thanks.

Xander's Mama
#13 of 97 Old 01-23-2002, 01:43 AM

Well, I finally went to the dentist after 6 years---I know, I've been bad! I need a lot of work, but it wasn't as bad as I thought--I do need some crowns and possible root canals, and have periodontal disease (not severe), but I really thought I was in for worse, and it also isn't going to cost as much as I feared, thanks to a dental discount plan (which are a much better deal than dental insurance, imo). Anyway, I am going to have the work done as soon as possible (fil is helping out financially, bless him!). This includes scaling and root planing for periodontal disease, with ongoing maintainance. I'm wondering if there are any natural treatments I can do at home as part of this maintainance. I believe you've mentioned this in the past, and I'm wondering if there are any specific products you can recommend (essential oils, etc?). Also, with all that work being done on my teeth, would you recommend taking extra echinacea or any other herbs/natural treatments? I know how busy you are smilemamma, so please feel free to take your time in answering. Finally, I want to thank you so much for your kindness in taking the time to moderate this forum. I'm sure you're already busy enough!
#14 of 97 Old 01-29-2002, 04:55 AM

Dh is going in for some major dental work soon. How do you use the essential oils? I'll get him started on the multi-vite, vite C and B-complex right away.

Thanks
#15 of 97 Old 01-30-2002, 01:03 AM

I was able to get the Dental Herb stuff from my mom's dentist. I called the company, and they said this is the only way to get it legally. There are some websites still selling it directly to consumers, but apparently there are a bunch of lawsuits pending. It sounds like a really amazing product.
#16 of 97 Old 01-30-2002, 03:11 AM

Hi Boobykinmamma. I feel like I'm butting in here - sorry about that.

Hi Smilemomma,
Dh had not been to a dentist in too many years and I finally persuaded (in a very sneaky way but w/lot's of loving intent) him to see my new dentist. Anyways, he's had a year's worth of cleanings, scaling and root planings (11 altogether). He has an appt. next month to see about wisdom teeth extraction and whatever else might need taking care of. I haven't heard anything about cavities yet. I can let you know more after his appt.

Smilemomma, you are so wonderful to be here for all of us. I have no idea how you do it. I'm a sahm to 4.5yr ds and I'm usually pretty tired by the end of the day not to mention no brain cells left! Thanks for your help.
#17 of 97 Old 01-30-2002, 01:37 PM

mtt--You might be able to get the gum and tooth tonic from a dentist in your area. If you call the Dental Herb Company (number on their website), they will give you the names of dentists in your area who carry it. They might be willing to sell it to you even though your husband is not a patient. Good luck!

And thanks again, Smilemamma! I'll keep you updated. I start tomorrow on my dental work, and I am actually looking forward to it!
#18 of 97 Old 02-01-2002, 09:34 PM

Here are the ingridients as listed on the tube:
Stabilized Aloe Vera Gel
SorbitolHydrated Sillica
Glycerin
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Carrageenan
Flavor
Bee Propolis
Sodium Saccharin
Sodium Benzonate
Chloporyllin-Copper Complex

I know somebody who justswears by it. I gave it a try too. It does clean the teeth nicely, but what about the ingridients?
Just a note: this company has a patent how to stabilize aloe vera gel to preserve its effects. they also grow certified organic aloe vera.
Thanks for your opinion.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#19 of 97 Old 02-02-2002, 01:00 AM

I've been careful to only put tiny amounts of a good toothpaste (as far as I know!) on 13 mo old ds's toothbrush. Unfortunatly, dh will only use a paste that is bubble gum flavored and contains saccharin. Last night he offered it to ds. I asked him not to and he told me to "relax" ,which I DONT" FEEL LIKE DOING! I am pretty sure I am right in not wanting ds to brush with dh's paste, but can you give me some hard facts on why it is a bad idea? When I said saccharin was a known carginogen, he said, it's not like you're eating it (though ds is!) and its only a small amount. I am postive he is wrong, can you help me tell him why?
#20 of 97 Old 02-03-2002, 11:15 AM

What do you all think of spin brushes? Are they as good as the regular kind? My kids (who are 3 and 5) think they are great, so they are more willing to brush their teeth and I can brush a little longer, which seems good to me.
#21 of 97 Old 02-03-2002, 02:52 PM

I was also wondering about the spin brushes.I have a 15 month old who loves my spin brush,but my concern is if it would hurt her developing enamel.
Lori
#22 of 97 Old 02-07-2002, 11:56 PM

Wow, yes, it's hard to even approach this one. Yes, your son is eating the toothpaste, which contains saccharin, which is a carcinogen and a poison. Exactly how much poison is he comfortable with your son eating?!

There are so many things that are nearly impossible to avoid, noxious air, poison in the water, bacteria in food, artificial colors, fats, etc, etc that it seems like anything that is easy to avoid, like this, is well worth the effort.

You could always tell him that I am a dentist, and I won't let my children touch the stuff. I also don't like it for myself, since I'm not sure how much gets absorbed through the mucosa (that is, after all, how pharmaceutical "patches" work, as well as nitroglycerin) and I'm not even swallowing it.

Good luck.
#23 of 97 Old 02-08-2002, 05:09 AM

We just got one of these for ds (23 mo) and he has all kinds of dental problems. He does not like brushing and we hoped this would help. At first he just kept saying "NO, NO, NO!" Then we tried anyway, no I think it kind of tickles him and he likes that. Not the brushing, but the tickling. I like it because I think it helps me to get a little more brushing action in there, and we definately need that! The noise distracts him, he's so worried about the noise that he doesn't notice the brushing so much! We'll keep trying, maybe he'll come to love it?!
#24 of 97 Old 02-08-2002, 11:53 AM

Smilemomma,
so as far as I understand from your posts, out of all the toothpastes you know you would only recommend tom's of maine?

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#25 of 97 Old 02-09-2002, 01:27 AM

Oh, no, I wouldn't go that far. I have actually 4 that we use every day;

My main criteria are that they have fluoride, are gentle, and contain no toxic ingredients. There are a lot out there, probably some I haven't even seen, that meet those criteria.

My personal ones include taste, too. Tom's is a little too mild for me some days.

To each her own!
#26 of 97 Old 02-09-2002, 01:29 AM

He will, sandbox.

Did you see the thread about games to help them enjoy brushing? Maybe something there might help, too. Maybe since he likes sounds, a cavity bug song might work ...
#27 of 97 Old 02-10-2002, 09:01 PM

Hi, Smilemamma! Just an update here--I'm loving the gum and tooth tonic. I've been using it about a week and a half. I had a root canal and temporary crown put on about that long ago too, and the gum had been very tender in that area, but is MUCH better now. I'm looking forward to seeing more great results--perio scaling on the bottom teeth this week, so that will help even more. Thanks again for the info!
#28 of 97 Old 02-10-2002, 11:04 PM

Isn't it awesome? I am amazed every day by what it can do, and a big NYAHH NYAHH to periodontists who insist on using chemicals that don't work as well as just all natural oils.

It's pretty powerful stuff! Thank you for coming back to give us the update, I'm glad it's doing so well for you! I'll bet your dentist is amazed too!
#29 of 97 Old 02-13-2002, 12:22 AM

Isn't fluoride a toxic ingredient? I think its poison!
#30 of 97 Old 02-13-2002, 11:48 PM

Everything's toxic in excess, even pure water.

There is a lot of info right here on the boards about fluoride, your search button should turn them up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page