Mothering Forum banner

Extra set of front teeth in 1 year old?? Help!

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Achelois72 
#1 ·
My DS will be 1 this Saturday and has both top and bottom front teeth. Well, when he had his head back (laughing
), I noticed that it looks like another set of teeth erupting right behind his top front teeth! Sure enough, I felt the little bumps and they feel like two little teeth coming in. They're about 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch or so behind his front teeth (maybe less...not sure).

I've never heard this before and can't seem to find any info either. Any ideas & suggestions? I'm concerned. Especially since we have no money and he will no longer be covered under Medicaid after this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help

Susan

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have much info to help you but my DS was born with a bottom tooth we needed to get pulled because it was about to fall out and we didn't want him to swallow it. He did get another baby tooth in the same spot. So I do know it is possible for a baby to have a third set of teeth.

Wish I could help.

#3 ·
It happens sometime ~ I think it happened to smilemomma's own kid. If you click on Cynthia's "archived topics" thread on top of the list, you can click through to the archived "tooth eruption" thread, that has more info.

Often, they indeed need to be pulled, I think.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilemomma
Two full sets of baby teeth is indeed unusual. One or two extras (and it usually is the front ones), not terribly uncommon, but a full set? Rare.

Susan, what color are these bumps? Get dh to hold a flashlight and hold your boy upside down for a good look. From your description, they may not be teeth at all, but rugae, pretty tough, hard wrinkles in the palate that help with bf and in forming sounds. The tongue uses them as a rest for some sounds instead of the front teeth.

LMK, my interest is really piqued here!
Sorry it's taken me so long to return to this. My poor little guy...he's been sick...we all have been..and he had his 1st b-day party Saturday.

BUT anyway, regarding this weird extra tooth thing. I had DH help me look again and there's definitely ONE extra tooth coming in. Not two. It's coming in behind his right front tooth perpendicular (90 degree angle) to the other teeth.) It has erupted and there's only a bit of it showing now, but it's definitely not the ridges because it goes against the grain of the roof of his mouth (hope this makes sense).

I'm still not sure what to do about this. I did read the archives about supernumerary teeth, but nothing that really told me what to do. Should I consult with a pediatric dentist right away? He's no longer covered under Medicaid I found out because DH makes too much money (but we're not even able to pay all our bills and afford luxuries like food, etc....aaagghh!), so I'm not sure how we'll pay for even a $50 office visit.

Any more suggestions/advice??

Thanks again and I really appreciate this place

Susan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.