Mothering Forum banner

Dental: unsure of iv sedation for cavities

745 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  aimeemac 
#1 ·
hi..... i have posted here before and have tried looking through the archives. but, haven't found what i am looking for.

my ds, who is 3, is in need of fillings/possibly caps on some.
We are going w/ the resin not stainless steel caps, if necessary. has anyone ever used these?

my next question, what drugs are used for iv sedation? the doc is calling me back w/ what he uses......my ds is sensitive to wheat and dairy and was wondering if any drugs could be sensitive to him.

we need work done soon, possibly next week. any info/insight/reassurance is appreciated.

Thanks......Aimee

PS:hope the dental board is back soon!

#2 ·
Hi,
I am not an expert by any means, but my daughter was in the same situation at age 3.5. By 4 she had 5 fillings and one cap, but all of it was done without general anesthesia. The first dentist we went to suggested GA or basically restraining her, i.e. tying her down to the chair. The latter suggestion sounded horrible and wrong to us, so we got a recommendation for a pediatric dentist who is absolutely wonderful. She did the work in 3 visits (2 for the major work, and then one for the last filling). My daughter was scared and cried, but we kept explaining what was going to happen, let her know it was OK to be scared, and were there for her the whole time. She came through with flying colors.
Hope your situation works out for the best!

#3 ·
hi....thanks for your input
iv sedation is done in the dentists office while GA is done in the hospital, with much more risk. i guess the drug they use in iv sedation is short acting. my son is very much not cooperative, so i feel this is our only route.
hope your daughter is doing well.......thanks again.

#5 ·
hi...we have an appt. for wednesday morning to take care of all 8 of the cavities. an iv sedation will be done. i feel okay about it, i talked to the aneseth..ologiest (sp.) and he talked about the drugs he will use. still looking for more info etc........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.