Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 158 Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie'sMama View Post
Thanks for all of this fascinating reading. I too want to get my fillings removed, but am BFing, so I will wait. The mercury free dentist said she could do it while bfing, but I don't trust that, so... she'll be there in three or so years when he's weaned.

In the meantime, I have an dental appt. tomorrow and I need to tell my conventional dentist

1. No flouride
2. If I need a filling (and I think I have another cavity) that it has to be a composite filling.

Anything else I should demand?

The mercury free dentist won't treat me until all my amalgams are removed. Sigh.

Please respond ASAP if you have any advice for my appt.

Thanks.

- paula
How did your appt. go?
#123 of 158 Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 AM

thanks for asking.

she cleaned my teeth with pure and natural sand. it was gross but chemical free.

i do have a cavity. they said they'll fill it with composite, so that's good. i'll still need novacaine, though. yuk. i'm a chicken when it comes to pain.

- paula
#124 of 158 Old 04-11-2007, 02:44 PM

Hi ladies,
I'm new and posted a new thread before reading this one -- same topic...

What I'm reading here is that most of you lovely women have already conceived a child having silver fillings and are now needing to remove them after breastfeeding. Does research suggest conceiving a child with these fillings may cause harm to the developing fetus? Or does research suggest you will be more prone to metal toxicity when the fillings are disrupted through the removal process and this causes harm? This is confusing!

I have four silver fillings that my dentist would like to replace (there is no decay, cracks, etc - he just feels the white fillings are better for you). I am scared to death about causing harm to a fetus b/c of fillings I've had for years!! I have fertility issues and don't think I can hold off on TTC another year and a half, but obviously I want to have healthy children. Right now I'm feeling that my only option is to leave the fillings that I have alone for the time being. I'm actually going to my dr this afternoon, this is definitely a topic I will bring up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. B/c of my fertility issues and b/c of my line of work (working w/special needs students), I've done everything and anything possible in terms of preconception care that would support me in having a healthy baby.

Thanks!!
#125 of 158 Old 04-11-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali26 View Post
Hi ladies,
I'm new and posted a new thread before reading this one -- same topic...

What I'm reading here is that most of you lovely women have already conceived a child having silver fillings and are now needing to remove them after breastfeeding. Does research suggest conceiving a child with these fillings may cause harm to the developing fetus? Or does research suggest you will be more prone to metal toxicity when the fillings are disrupted through the removal process and this causes harm? This is confusing!

I have four silver fillings that my dentist would like to replace (there is no decay, cracks, etc - he just feels the white fillings are better for you). I am scared to death about causing harm to a fetus b/c of fillings I've had for years!! I have fertility issues and don't think I can hold off on TTC another year and a half, but obviously I want to have healthy children. Right now I'm feeling that my only option is to leave the fillings that I have alone for the time being. I'm actually going to my dr this afternoon, this is definitely a topic I will bring up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. B/c of my fertility issues and b/c of my line of work (working w/special needs students), I've done everything and anything possible in terms of preconception care that would support me in having a healthy baby.

Thanks!!
You are so smart to be researching this stuff now. If you have the fillings removed you should then chelate and this takes some time. IF you're not willing to wait 6 mos to a year then I would highly recommend NOT TOUCHING them now.

You can read more about this in the link in my siggy under Dental Amalgams.
#126 of 158 Old 05-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Many thanks to Jane for directing me towards this thread. This is such a tough issue to face for so many of us; I'm glad I am not alone in my anger, frustration, etc...about dental amalgam.

I have a 7 1/2 month old and a 3 year old- still nursing both although my oldest is only nursing 1-2 times/week. My youngest is exclusively breastfeeding and will continue to do so until she is at least 9 months old. I have 5 teeth with amalgam in them and recently I've had an awful metallic taste in my mouth, have been experiencing dizziness, etc...I have an appt. at the Groton Dental spa in late June but based on what I've read it seems like I won't be able to get them removed anytime soon since DD is still nursing so much. When I made my appt, I was told that I could breastfeed and get them removed- I would just need to pump two days worth of breastmilk for the day of the procedure and the day after. However, it seems like it is unsafe to continue nursing while my body goes through detox? I'm not sure what is worse- continuing to nurse with this mercury leaching through my system or nursing through detox or weaning much earlier than I had planned. We also are thinking that we would like to have a third child and if I need to give my body 12-18 months to detox before conception, I really need to get these done sooner than later. Such a difficult issue- I'm so glad to have MDC in my life for things like this...

I've made an appt. with an ND to talk about complementary treatment through the removal process and nutritional support in lieu of removal right now. I've also ordered the Amalgam Illness book which was recommended- any other reading re: nutrition and supplements?

Thanks so much!

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#127 of 158 Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 PM

One another question...do you have to use some type of chelating agent to go through detox or is it possible to detox simply through nutrition/supplements? I wish there was a way I could get these removed and not stop breastfeeding: : I'm hoping there will be some answers when I go to my appt. It's supposed to be 2 hours long- the first hour being with a whole health counselor and the second with the holistic dentist....

#128 of 158 Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinbearzmama View Post
One another question...do you have to use some type of chelating agent to go through detox or is it possible to detox simply through nutrition/supplements? I wish there was a way I could get these removed and not stop breastfeeding: : I'm hoping there will be some answers when I go to my appt. It's supposed to be 2 hours long- the first hour being with a whole health counselor and the second with the holistic dentist....
It sounds like you'll be talking to the right people. Still, I personally, would wait until I was finished b'feeding to touch them at all (even though they are currently leeching crap into your system.)

You can get a natural chelator like chelorex but there are tons of others out there. See what your ND recommends. Oh, and DON'T chelate while b'feeding b/c that'll only dump toxins into your b'milk and into your babe.
#129 of 158 Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 PM

I was at the holistic dentist's office for a chiro appt. and she was admiring my baby and I mentioned that I was planning to get my mercury out after he weaned and she assured me that it was better to get them out now and that he was getting more toxins by having them in.... and she gave me some study to look up (which of course I forgot the name cause I can't remember anything bc of my fillings). I hope you get more info cause I'd love to get mine out sooner, too!

- paula
#130 of 158 Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 PM

I am currently BF and I have a 6 month baby. I didn't realize the concerns with getting an amalgam filling removed during breastfeeding. I recently tested positive to mercury toxicity at an EDS appt. I figured it was better to get it removed. Now after reading this posting I am extremely concerned. I have fed her with stored milk since the appt today, but only have one more feeding worth left. I read one comment that you need to pump and dump for 2 days after the procedure. Should I feed her formula until the days passes and then back to my milk? She must have been getting mercury all through pregnancy and so far through BF. It must be better to have it out of my now? I am really concerned. I am calling the EDS person tomorrow for suggestions. They also prescribed me a homeopathic remedy to help with the mercury toxicity that I haven't started. Anyone have any suggestions? Once I start, this would go to my baby as well and should help her I would think.
#131 of 158 Old 06-20-2007, 03:53 PM

I am so confused! I went to my regular dentist for a cleaning today (told them to stay away from my silver fillings because of the mercury vapor to which they replied that there is no vapor: ) and found out that two of my fillings need to be replaced- there is decay around them and I have a new cavity. So when I asked what procedures they use to replace them, they just said that they use a drill and could use a dental dam if I wanted it. I brought up the questions about mercury and how other holistic dentists take precautions and they just said that the ADA, AMA, FDA, etc...all say there are no links. I also asked if it was safe to remove during breastfeeding and was told it would be fine.

Now- I'm definitely going to get this done at a holistic dentist even though I'll have to pay more...I'd much rather have more precautions. My confusion is with the "other stuff." This dentist would be more than happy to replace my amalgams without any discussion of supplements, diet, chelation...I guess my question is about this. I don't know if I have much choice in getting this done while I'm breastfeeding- and I was told by the holistic dentist that as long as I pumped for 2 days, it would be fine. Has anyone had the experience of getting amalgams replaced without chelating?

#132 of 158 Old 06-20-2007, 04:46 PM

I talked to the nurse who did my EDS and she talked to her holistic dentist. He said you should never remove a filling during BF. Too late now, but I wish my dentist would have known that. The holistic dentist said that removing it won't make that much of a difference to my daughter or me. He said I should pump and dump for a day or 2 after the filling, take vitamin C and amino acids in addition to a homeopathic remedy (I think for chelation). If you can wait, I would from what I understand. I wish I had researched this before.
#133 of 158 Old 06-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Has any one done any research on composite (white) fillings? You do realize it a a plastic, and if you've done any research on plastics and storing food or heating up food in plastic containners you will see the evidence of cancer causing agents (dioxin etc.). So are we jumping from the frying pan into the fire? I don't know, but I do know that when I need my fillings replaced they will only be done in gold. Expensive yes, but how much is piece of mind worth?
#134 of 158 Old 06-23-2007, 10:59 PM

Porcelain is also inert and also $$. But you can get BPA and formadehyde free composites. And I agree with you re: dangers of plastics, but mercury is actually ranked more toxic than lead.
#135 of 158 Old 06-24-2007, 12:03 PM

I have an appt with an IOAMT dentist this Friday and I am utterly heartbroken to know I need to wean dd this week. She's 20 months and only nurses once a day (unless she's sick or gets hurt) but I cry every time I think about it. I've done the research and know I'm mercury toxic, and we'll want to get pg again in a year or so, so I feel like this is the window to do it. I just feel like I'm making a bad decision by not letting her CLW, even though logically I really do feel like this is the best decision overall, kwim?

I don't think I have any point to this post , I just wanted to vent to those who would understand how sad I am.
#136 of 158 Old 06-25-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

The best information is found in Andrew Hall Cutler's book, his website is here:
www.noamalgam.com
I actually have this book up on the trading post if anyone is interested...it is everything that Jane S said it would be. (I bought it on your recommendation, mama!)

#137 of 158 Old 07-05-2007, 04:57 AM

Hi ya'll. I've been reading (and have posted, more than a year ago) this thread for about 18 months and during most of that period, despite an initial few weeks of total anger/despair/panic about the situation, I've had to simply downplay the issue in my mind so that I could continue to nurse my baby. He's now about to turn 2 and I'm thinking these days only about once per day as a fleeting thought how much I can't wait to get my 4 amalgam fillings out. I push the thought aside as he still feels like such a young nursling (compared to my recently weaned older child who stopped nursing at 3.5 and is now about to turn 4) and I can't bear the thought of weaning him. Also, we don't seem to have any of the signs and symptoms that the mercury may be a problem, so it's easier to presume that all is fine and dandy, although I know it could be a contributing cause of Alzheimers later in life or some other such horrible long term effect. Either all 3 of us are great at excreting/dumping the shit or we're excellent long term storers (in our brains? ) and will face the music as senior citizens. Sigh. Who knows.
Anyway, I'm posting again finally as I'm getting closer to the end of nursing, although I don't know exactly how long it will take until we are done. I am considering MLW him at 2.5, for instance, or maybe sooner if he is able to understand why (he's already so incredibly verbal and intelligent, I doubt it will be terribly long until he will be able to understand something about an explanation I could offer him), and then getting these fillings out.
My question is this: I've heard you should undergo chelation for 6-12 months before becoming pregnant again. Can someone offer me a dummy mummy's guide to a course of chelation? I still don't understand (or have in the past and have now totally forgotten) the common methods, after reading this thread for so long. Is there some way to check to see how it's going and when you are 'done enough' so that you know whether you can get away with 6 months (or even less, hopefully?) or whether you should continue for an entire year? I want to have my third child without a tremendous gap in age from my first two, so I'm hoping to somehow speed things along in terms of not traumatizing my darling DS2 with a weaning schedule he can live with and then chelating myself (and the boys? How do I know, in layman's terms, whether I need to?) well enough to confidently conceive #3.
Thanks in advance, I hate to pipe up after so long only to admit I've forgotten everything I learned on this thread a year or more ago, but it's the case. : If no one answers, I'll just read the whole thread again, but I'm exhausted from trying to pick out a simple answer to all this....
#138 of 158 Old 07-07-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamomma View Post
I have an appt with an IOAMT dentist this Friday and I am utterly heartbroken to know I need to wean dd this week. She's 20 months and only nurses once a day (unless she's sick or gets hurt) but I cry every time I think about it. I've done the research and know I'm mercury toxic, and we'll want to get pg again in a year or so, so I feel like this is the window to do it. I just feel like I'm making a bad decision by not letting her CLW, even though logically I really do feel like this is the best decision overall, kwim?

I don't think I have any point to this post , I just wanted to vent to those who would understand how sad I am.
Have you considered "pump and dump" combined with a blood test (or milk test)?
#139 of 158 Old 07-07-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
Have you considered "pump and dump" combined with a blood test (or milk test)?
Sigh. My boobs have mutinied against pumping since my first munchkin was a baby. I can be engorged and only get 3 or 4 oz. It's actually incredibly annoying, b/c I spent the money on a Medela PIS. :

Besides that, it just seems too precarious a chance, not knowing when the toxin levels would change. My son is autistic, and it's just beyond my comfort level to pose the risk further for dd. We drink raw milk, and the kiddos' diets are good, so I'm sad that she can't get the goodness of bm, but I'm ok with this for the whole family. We really want to try and get pg again next summer, and I'm going to take the next year (or more if needed) to really flush everything/clean up my body, kwim?

(And if nothing else, my good friend next door is pg, so maybe I could sneak some extra from her. )
#140 of 158 Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM

subbing for now BBL.

amalgam fillings added and/or replaced while nursing DD2 and a mouth full of cavities right now (or so dentist says). had 2 composite done yesterday and i feel horrible. physically and mentally.
#141 of 158 Old 07-27-2007, 04:53 PM

Hi all. I'm subscribing to this thread... I was told when DS was a baby last year that I have 4 cavities- yikes! It's been years since I've had one. I guess pregnancy, nursing, then pregnancy with #2 depleted me.

I got a composite filled for a new surface but there are a couple where the amalgam (sp?) needs to be removed and composites put in. I've been holding off until DS weans but they are starting to hurt a little. I ordered some more Blue Ice cod liver oil and finally ordered the butter oil to try to help my teeth and body out.

In the meantime I have an appt. with a mercury free dentist for next month. Can't wait to see what he says about my mouth LOL. I'm going to wait as long as I can, hopefully until DS weans before touching those mercury fillings....
Everyone, keep posting your experiences!

-Kelly
#142 of 158 Old 07-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamomma View Post

i could have written your post - my dd is also 20 months and I we are also wanting to get pregnant soon! I picked up some books like "How weaning happens" and sometimes I just have to stop reading it because I'm so emotional. I am so torn about it but, like you, i feel that logically it is the best decision...
#143 of 158 Old 07-29-2007, 12:27 PM

I'm confused. My IOMNT/merc free dentist said that I need not wean my 10 month old because of all of the precautions they take. They said I should just pump for the day of the procedure- I'm getting 2 fillings replaced and won't be chelating. Thoughts?

#144 of 158 Old 07-29-2007, 10:39 PM

that's what mine says, too, but i'm too scared to get them removed while BFing. despite the precautions, where does the mercury go? i'd love to hear otherwise cause i'd love to get these removed ASAP.

she gave me some name of a researcher to look into to have amalgams removed while bfing, but, of course, i don't remember the name of the study.

looking to hear more.
#145 of 158 Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie'sMama View Post
that's what mine says, too, but i'm too scared to get them removed while BFing. despite the precautions, where does the mercury go? i'd love to hear otherwise cause i'd love to get these removed ASAP.

she gave me some name of a researcher to look into to have amalgams removed while bfing, but, of course, i don't remember the name of the study.

looking to hear more.
I'd like to see that study. As far as I know, not much research has been done on b'feeding moms.

Will you please let me know if you find it, or the researcher's name?

Personally, I wouldn't touch them even if they took every precaution in the book.
#146 of 158 Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 AM

I'm so glad I found this thread. I had a hair test done 4 years ago to see if I had high mercury levels before trying to get pregnant. I didn't, so I let my many amalgam fillings remain. I now have a beautiful 3 year old DS.

Just tonight, I felt a rough spot on a back tooth. Sure enough, it's one with a major amalgam filling in it. I think I chewed and swallowed the chipped piece. I can't tell if it was a corner of the tooth or the edge of the amalgam.

Anyway, I'm really concerned. My 3 yr old DS still nurses 5-6 rimes a day! He'll be up soon to nurse and won't take no for an answer when he's tired.

I don't know what to do. I was leaving them until he weaned, but now I may have chipped it and could be leaching mercury.

I read a lot this evening from a search I did and from recommendations from the many helpful posts here. Still, though, I can't seem to glean a concensus or strong direction over whether it is better to leave a potentially leaching filling or remove it (using stringent IAOMT guidelines).

Any new experiences, info, etc?

THanks so much
#147 of 158 Old 09-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Hi. I spoke with a holistic dentist this morning. They will see me on Friday for a consult, but when it came to the safety of bfing, they said call your pediatrician.

All my (traditional) ped would prob tell me is to wean because he's 3.

I tried a wholistic peds office and the nurse said she wouldn't tell me to stop bfing. But, they also wouldn't tell me it was safe.

What's a mom to do????

I didn't nurse him last night or today. It was very sad, he just cried quietly while I held him. Today, he's asking why nummies are sick and when they'll be better. I'm about to pump and dump, but I don't know the answer.
#148 of 158 Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm confused. My IOMNT/merc free dentist said that I need not wean my 10 month old because of all of the precautions they take. They said I should just pump for the day of the procedure- I'm getting 2 fillings replaced and won't be chelating. Thoughts?
I have thoughts, but the caveat is that my situation may be different. Mercury is contributing to my current health problems so I think it's clear that my body doesn't excrete it well. I think my son (17mo) is the same. We're GFCF due to this. That said... the HCP I'm working with seems pretty knowledgeable about mercury, and her concern about me getting my amalgams replaced while nursing is a) the exposure that day, despite the precautions, and b) how much/soon my body will start mobilizing the various deposits of mercury in me after the amalgams are out and there's no new, daily input.

From my reading and her experiences, some people have nasty detox reactions really fast (like the next day) and some people never do. But I think the detox reactions are mercury (and possibly other toxins? since it seems like the lack of new daily mercury could allow the body to deal with more than it could before) moving around--and if it's moving around, that's in the bloodstream and it would move into the milk at the same level.

So for me, I'm working on my health (which is poor but moving up to fair) and will wean after Christmas when I think my son will be done teething, and then I'll get these things out. And then start the chelation process (not sure how quickly to start that, I think that'll be a see-how-it-goes kind of thing).

I'm bummed about weaning him early for many reasons. It was a hard decision in some ways. But it came down to balancing our needs. And for us, while I can try to meet his needs for cuddling and touching in other ways, it's becoming clear that it's imperative for my health to get these things out and start ridding my body of the accumulated mercury. But honestly, I'm putting off thinking about the actual weaning and how I'm going to do it because it seems really hard.

My son doesn't have blatant mercury toxicity symptoms--there are really only two, the first I attribute to mercury even though I don't think it's on a real list--he didn't crawl right, and although I did a lot of reading on crawling, the way it looked made me think that something in his brain wasn't wired correctly from left-to-right (a coordination type of thing). Maybe that's just coincidence, but this was really ringing my alarms, way before I knew that my fillings were a problem. It wasn't just a non-traditional cross-crawl, to me it looked like a real lack of the ability to coordinate the left and right halves of his body. But with practice and modeling (my daughter and I had lots of crawling races for a while), he got really motivated and tried and tried (it was almost painful to watch at times, because he so wanted to move but couldn't make his arms and legs work together), but then he got it, and after a while he was doing a great cross-crawl. The other is more classic, in that he started banging his head on things. Doing a bunch of nutritional supplements that help detox pathways has stopped that (yeah! I feel like shouting to the world, but I don't know anyone who understands enough to do more than give me a puzzled look).

Anyway, I guess this is mostly a ramble. I'm not really knowledgeable (that should be obvious). I've been trying to learn from the Chelating Mamas thread, and various reading. I hope I know a bit more come January and (hopefully) it's time for replacement with composites.

Gardenday--One thought. We're mitigating the effects of the daily mercury in my milk to my son with nutritional supplements. It's sort of a modified DAN! protocol from what I gather. One way to consider would be finding a well-respected DAN! doctor in your area (or an expert in environmental medicine, like my HCP, but that seems harder) and, if you don't think you're having health problems due to the mercury, and your little one isn't either, do something like this to help with excreting what may be higher levels for a few months.

One other thought--not sure how accurate the test was, but a few years ago, I did a hair test for mercury, and it was low. I think this was because my body doesn't get rid of it efficiently. For me, it wasn't clear that mercury was playing a role until I had stressful life events that triggered health problems, and then we (HCP and I) realized that the mercury had made me susceptible to them. But it seems just as likely that someone with a low test means that their body gets rid of it just fine, and has been doing so at a steady state for years. How's that for nothing helpful?
#149 of 158 Old 09-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Tanya,

What supplements are you using? I have a 15 month old who I think is a 'little' funky -- very sensitive hearing, poor sleeper, picky about food textures, not walking yet (but talking. yay!). We're doing Omegas and vitamins and probiotics. Anything I'm missing?

BTW, I have a mouth full of mercury but I can't touch 'em yet because of the picky eating issue and I get sick everytime I pump! What a balancing act.

thanks!

- paula
#150 of 158 Old 09-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Gardenday--One thought. We're mitigating the effects of the daily mercury in my milk to my son with nutritional supplements. It's sort of a modified DAN! protocol from what I gather. One way to consider would be finding a well-respected DAN! doctor in your area (or an expert in environmental medicine, like my HCP, but that seems harder) and, if you don't think you're having health problems due to the mercury, and your little one isn't either, do something like this to help with excreting what may be higher levels for a few months.

One other thought--not sure how accurate the test was, but a few years ago, I did a hair test for mercury, and it was low. I think this was because my body doesn't get rid of it efficiently. For me, it wasn't clear that mercury was playing a role until I had stressful life events that triggered health problems, and then we (HCP and I) realized that the mercury had made me susceptible to them. But it seems just as likely that someone with a low test means that their body gets rid of it just fine, and has been doing so at a steady state for years. How's that for nothing helpful?

Thanks Tanya. I spoke to a wholistic pediatrician yesterday and he emailed me the DAN! protocol to read. He also recently did a roundtable discussion on the topic. It's on www.wholisticpeds.com under the "in the news" link. Thankfully my little one doesn't have health problems. I do, but don't know if mercury has anything to do with it. I'll explore more once he's done nursing.

Regarding the hair test, the wholistic ped told me that the hair test only shows what you excrete. People can store the mercury, so they may have high levels, but it doesn't show up in the hair test. I think the chelating test has a better chance. There is also a urine test option. He was very knowledgeable.
Thanks for your thoughts,

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page