Metal fillings replaced while breastfeeding? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 158 Old 09-13-2007, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie'sMama View Post
Tanya,

What supplements are you using? I have a 15 month old who I think is a 'little' funky -- very sensitive hearing, poor sleeper, picky about food textures, not walking yet (but talking. yay!). We're doing Omegas and vitamins and probiotics. Anything I'm missing?

BTW, I have a mouth full of mercury but I can't touch 'em yet because of the picky eating issue and I get sick everytime I pump! What a balancing act.

thanks!

- paula
Paula,
The wholistic pediatrician I spoke to recommended I take higher doses of Vit C and Zinc to help excrete the metal. He also recommended a precursor to glutathione, unless I have Candida issues, in which case he recommended a topical form. Sounds like the DAN! protocol could help you too.

Regarding not being able to touch your current fillings yet, I thought you might appreciate this info. The ped said that the mercury in amalgams is elemental mercury. It is rapidly absorbed when inhaled (so when it vaporizes as they are removed). Note: approp precautions can really reduce this. But the oral absorption rate of mercury is only 0.01% for the mother. Only a small % of what's ingested by the mom (i.e., if a filling was swallowed) gets into the breastmilk,so only 0.00001% is absorbed by the child.

No one wants their child to ingest mercury, but this info made me feel a lot better about my amalgams and also solidified my decision not to have them removed until I was done nursing (unless they were really damaged and coming out).

Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 158 Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks, Rose.

I'm taking Vit. C, Zinc, Selenium, Probiotics, CLO, cal/mag and a multi. Phew! Hoping it helps the little guy. I have tons of yeast issues. I tried Oil of Oregano but got a nasty yeast infection. I guess it was working!

thanks for the info re the mercury in my mouth. I know it's affecting me. My memory is awful and I'm such a crab. Better when I eat well (duh!) I'm mostly GFCF, but today I had some cheese and watch out!

thanks again.

- paula
#153 of 158 Old 09-13-2007, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Paula,

We're doing a multi, extra zinc and magnesium, melatonin (really helped with the sleep, apparently the mercury messes up how the body uses its own melatonin, is my layperson's understanding), and bowel tolerance vitC. And I almost forgot the B-complex (heavy on B6) and a sublingual B12.

The vitC started pretty high (8g/day spread over 4 doses, but my daughter who isn't affected by the mercury as far as I can tell is actually a _lot_ higher) and came down by about 1g/wk and when it got relatively low (still too high, but more realistic for a 27-pound person), that's when his head-banging stopped. If that hadn't worked, my HCP said the next step would've been glutathione, which was a bit scary (somehow, since these are just vitamins & minerals, it seemed less drastic). And probiotics (supplements and I'm working on fermented veggies--the salsa is good, water kefir is good, and just yesterday my daughter tried and liked the ginger carrots, yeah!--my son isn't interested yet), and I give them cod liver oil, partly for the A&D and partly for the DHA. I haven't run the CLO part by my HCP yet--it's hard to weigh the possible risk of (presumably very low level) mercury contamination with all the positives.

Writing all that out, it's a lot--and it seemed that way for the first month or so, but now it's getting so that it's just part of the routine, albeit a pain.

I wouldn't have had a clue how to do this on my own. I'm glad I found, through a friend of a friend, a HCP who seems to know her way around mercury. From the little reading I've done, this is a stripped-down version of what DAN doctors tend to do for autistic kids.

Do you have anyone you're working with? I've been okay doing some things health-wise on my own, but this mercury thing just came out of left field, and I still feel like I'm floundering. What clued you in that this could be mercury? I've gotta say, I never gave a thought to the fillings in my mouth, and I had no idea they'd turn out lives upside-down.
#154 of 158 Old 09-13-2007, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rose, would it be possible to email me the DAN protocol he sent you? I am really interested. And I'll definitely go to that link you put up. I had no idea there were wholistic pediatricians--I don't know why it never occurred to me, but it hadn't. I can PM you my email address.

Paula, JaneS put up some info a while back (here in Dental and also in The Thyroid Thread in H&H) about iodine and selenium working best together, and the benefits of supplementing both at the same time. You might want to search for JaneS and iodine (if you're up for adding anything, I am just maintaining my supplements and monitoring the kids, and that's all I can handle now, along with trying to cook really good foods for us). It's just a thought, but since it came up in the thyroid thread, which was one of my first health problems in this little spiral, it was very interesting to me.
#155 of 158 Old 09-14-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the info. Whew! I can barely get in the few things that we are doing.

My older DS sees a DAN! so we're doing a lot of stuff that he's recommended.

Thanks.

- paula
#156 of 158 Old 09-14-2007, 06:29 PM

Tanya,
Sure. PM me your email and I'll send it. By the way the wholistic ped does telephone appts if you're interested. He is not cheap, but he is very knowledgeable.

Rose
#157 of 158 Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 AM

bump
#158 of 158 Old 09-20-2014, 07:53 AM

I have experience with parts of this

Hi everyone who might run across this thread, I feel it so necessary to share a quick note on my experience. I had 3 silver fillings removed while breastfeeding my 1.5 year old. I got MAJOR mercury poisoning, chest pain, rash, candida, tremors, exhaustion etc. I did not figure out what was happening to me until 1.5 years afterward, I was still having lots of problems-actually they were getting worse. My little one seemed to have no reaction in the first few months, then had a vaccine reaction that surprised us all (I think it was because he already had a lot of toxins he was filtering), and then when I accidentally detoxed a major load of mercury after taking some micro algae (on accident, didn't know what was happening at the time) my little one became gray and got dark under eye circles and just seemed off. So absolutely DO NOT get filling removed while nursing. Wean first, don't even believe that you can pump for a few days or weeks following and start up again. It is apparent to me now that I was detoxing mercury into my breastmilk well after even a year.

I did not use a biological dentist, but did have one that used a dam and was known around town for being the holistic dentist to go to. No one told me not to do it at the time. I had to learn the hard way on my own long after the procedure happened.

If I had to do it again, 1. I would have waited or 2. If waiting wasn't possible I would have had those teeth pulled or 3. I would have weaned my son and found a biological dentist

Love and Blessings to you all

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page