Permanent teeth coming in back of baby teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5 year old dd's two permanent middle bottom teeth are coming in right behind the baby teeth, which are only slightly loose at this point. The permanent teeth are almost the same height now as the baby teeth. I am making her first dental appointment for her, so I will certainly ask about it then, but has anyone else ever gone through this? Will the baby teeth loosen and fall out on their own?
#2 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 02:59 PM

All three of my oldest kids had the same problem. Their adult teeth came in far enough back that they had to have the baby ones pulled. The dentist was concerned the adult teeth would become decayed because they couldn't clean them properly. Good Luck.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#3 of 9 Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 AM

It is normal for the eruption to take place as you describe. Be patient and the baby teeth should loosen and fall out.
#4 of 9 Old 03-17-2005, 05:21 PM

This happened to my son several months ago. I guess it's fairly common for those two middle bottom teeth. Our ped dentist gave my son about 6 weeks to "pull them on his own" or she would do it. He didn't do it right away, but did it way before the deadline! The big teeth came in fine and straightened right up with some time.
#5 of 9 Old 03-21-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! One of the teeth is getting pretty loose on its own, loose enough that I think it will be out within a week.
#6 of 9 Old 04-02-2005, 12:07 AM

my son has had this happen with most of his baby teeth and our first dentist said they would loosen and fall out, they did not- & the perm one is in the roof of his mouth & one is like a fang, it spaced back into the roof and hopefully in time with his jaw growing larger now that they will move forward into place enough that he can eat right

here is a pic to show you the dif, these are two teeth he had pulled out the same day. one is one of the front 4 and the long one is a canine that was right next to that
http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL207/...5/91453370.jpg

the root on the longer tooth we had waited 6 months for that thing to fall out after the perm one for that space came in & it never happened

the other thing to watch for besides decay on the perm behind is infection at the baby tooth gum

if i had to do this all again I would insist my dentist pull the baby one as soon as the perm one was visible
we went through this before with his bottom teeth, they also came in behind like a row of shark teeth
#7 of 9 Old 04-02-2005, 12:23 AM

We have this problem going on with my daughter Have them baby tooth/teeth pulled. I don't disagree with waiting a few weeks (6 does not sound to long) but my dd teeth this would not have happen for the bottom three teeth.

We are actually waiting for a forth one to break through the skin before the dentist will pull the baby tooth. So far all 3 of her bottom teeth roots look like the ones in the picture.

My dd has had a lot of pain with them also Enough to effect eating habits from time to time.
#8 of 9 Old 04-03-2005, 06:04 PM

I can think of nothing more tramatic than to pull a persons tooth out. Why would anyone be so anxious as to recomend this for a baby ? Retained baby teeth will not cause a problem for years. And as you can see by the post above...wait and see is not a bad idea. You need to see an honest pedodontist if you have questions.
#9 of 9 Old 04-03-2005, 07:13 PM

That happened to me when I was a child. I didn't lose any baby teeth naturally. I knocked two out on a sandbox. The others all had to be pulled because my permanent teeth were all coming in very crooked and my baby teeth would not come out. So, I spent a lot of time at the dentist getting my baby teeth pulled. There is a good and bad side to this. The good side is that they were able to pull them so that my permanent teeth came in beautiful and straight and I never had an overbite or had to wear braces. The particular problem ran on my mom's side of the family and they all have these ugly overbites and horribly crooked teeth. The have more cavities because they can't clean between their teeth well because of the crookedness. When my little brother had the same problem my mom didn't have the money to do the same thing as with me. So, when he hit his teens he had to have braces and have the overbite corrected which was painful and embarrassing for him.

The con for me was that I was kinda traumatized by having my teeth pulled. But then again, my dentist was this huge, loud man. I think he scared me more than having my teeth pulled! But then again...I think that experience made me better able to deal with pain. I have no problem dealing with needles or any other pain now. People are amazed by it. I really do think it's because I had all the dental work back then.

Overall I'm glad it was done because I have nice teeth. And I didn't have to have braces or have an overbite corrected like my brother did.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page