Nervous about dentistry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2002, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
O.K, I have not seen a dentist for almost 10 years.It seems to me that the whole dental obsession is an American thing anyway.I never did have great teeth, but not too bad,I also hate toothpaste, it makes me gag to even watch anyone use it.my dh went 1 or 2 yrs ago, but ds almost 3 and dd 13 mo, have never been.I am weary that dentists might have too much fun with their knowlege or technology in my mouth(bad filling experience at 12 yrs -filled ALL my molars unnecessarily...) I am not a big fan of mainstream Doctors and the like,as i find out too many unneeded things they do for kicks or profit....And the whole flouride thing...Anyway, I have a family appt next week...arg..
I babbled, but that's how confessing is....for me anyway...

Advice?

:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2002, 04:15 PM

i'm looking to try this for my 2 hour visit tomorrow

do i have to tell the dr/staff about it? or is it a non-issue to them?
Old 10-16-2002, 06:19 PM

Is this for a tooth pulling?Root canal?Cavity repair?
I use Rescue Remedy all the time-Take it before you go in the door.
I followed directions on the bottles.

::
momma to 4
Old 10-17-2002, 12:28 AM

actually its for an initial exam/cleaning -- xrays; mould of the mouth etc.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:22 AM

What is Rescue Remedy?
Old 10-25-2002, 09:54 AM

its something comprised of i believe, flower essences/oils that is useful for times of stress

box mentions things like public speaking; for me i used it before a dental visit because my stomach was getting a bottomless pit feeling to it

its by Bach
Old 11-06-2002, 02:18 PM

as a child i had some HORRENDOUS dental experiences and as such when i was on my own at 19, felt that dentists were the enemy and avoided them

when i reached the point that i was reconsidering this, i was without insurance and as such went without treatment

here i am now 36. i recognize the need for dental work and have a dentist that so far is willing to be extra careful with me

yesterday i had a quickie visit because a previously root-canaled tooth broke and he had to pull the pieces out. all in all it was fairly minor visit but there were a few panic moments.

my mind knows that doing these visits is for the best and long-term i will become more physically comfortable without broken pieces of teeth and owies here and there

however -- there are still moments when this panic just washes over me. it reminds me of when i was in labor this kind of 'wave crashing over me, taking away my reason' kind of thing

part of how i cope is deep breathing and focus on something and i lose those skills when tipped back and he's in my mouth. the lights too bright so my eyes are closed and i cant breathe through my mouth.

what i really really really want is a dental-doula!!!! i think it would help me feel not so alone and 'being drowned' when i have a wave crashing. just have someone holding my hand or touching my leg and giving me a voice to focus on -- because there i am in the dark with nothing for my mind to grab on to

where can i go for coping skills?
Old 11-06-2002, 02:24 PM

do you have instructions on how to dose a child?

i have a bottle around here and just wanted to know in case (make that WHEN) my 4 yr old will need some ; )

thanks!
Old 11-07-2002, 12:56 AM

I give 2 drops for my 3 year old & 4 drops for me & my teenager.

You can put it in hot water to dissapate the alcohol a bit.

::
momma to 4
Old 11-10-2002, 07:47 AM

I know exactly what you mean....

I'd say you move to Fla and get smilemomma as your dentist. I've also heard good stories about morphine
But, seriously, if you ever find out, please post it here. I for one would love to know!
Old 11-11-2002, 08:23 PM

I have a 2 week old dd. will she get the benifit if I take it or do I give it to her and if I give to her what dose?
Old 11-24-2002, 05:09 AM

brief recap on my history is that i'm 36 and havent had a tooth cleaning/filling etc. since i was 18.

i had horrible experiences as a child which left me distrusting doctors as a whole and dentists even more so.

in the last 5 years i've had two rootcanals done because they were critical and avoided the rest.

i have now finally gotten into a dentist and had my initial exam/exrays/mouth molds etc.

needless to say there isn't much good news (except for the dr - he gets a vacation from my checkbook)

the good news is that i went in the other day for a filling (not a molar) and it went well. in fact he asked me if i wanted to do another. there had been a cancellation and the tooth next to it needed work so we were off and did it. the only real issue i had was boredom in the chair (headphones are useless during drilling) and my bite is off so my jaw was cramping before we were done.

this wasn't the worst of the work but all in all it went damn well - ESPECIALLY since i couldnt find my rescue remedy that day. this was ALL ME getting through it.

two down.... 12 more to go!
Old 11-24-2002, 05:17 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That was very brave of you. If boredom was the worst, I just don't feel that sorry for you
many dentists have little things that help keep your mouth open, maybe that would help with the cramping next time?

Oh, and would you please provide the name/number/location of this dentist (if you feel comfortable having that much known about where you are), so other mdc members can find this dentist too?
Old 12-31-2002, 05:48 AM

Me or morphine -- you crack me up, simonee!! :LOL

LadyBlue, the first and most important thing is that you realize the importance of preventive care, AND that you recognize exactly what's been keeping you from getting it. I've heard a lot of denial, excuses, etc, because folks just hate to admit that they're frightened of anything, especially seemingly unreasonably so.

I admit, dentists can be frightening. We are literally inside you, it's quite invasive of personal space. It's noisy, and you don't know what's going on. You are very astute to compare it to birth, and the more I think about it, the more parallels I can draw. Birth is invasive and frightening, too, but you can manage it if you educate yourself.

My assistant is actually excellent at being a dental doula -- I see her all the time holding someone's hand, rubbing their shoulder, getting them a blanket, etc. So staff is important, too, but you can also bring a friend, or an actual birth doula. The duties are very much the same.

There are tips on how to find a dentist who is sympathetic to your nervousness in the dental archives under "finding a good dentist".

One thing that works very well with children, and in keeping with the educated patient analogy, is to use what is called "tell, show, do." Any dentist will be familiar with the term, they just might not connect it with adult care, and they should. It can be very helpful to say, "I am going to use a small instrument to feel how solid the tooth is. It won't hurt at all, and if you feel anything at all, just raise your hand and I will stop. This is it right here ... (show tiny instrument) ... ok, here we go ..." It's time consuming to do for each step, but some folks need that, especially at first, until they've built some trust.

My experience has been that once you have several *good* dental experiences under your belt, the not so good ones fade in your mind. You are at last able to give them to the past, or to assign them to a yucky person, etc.

Of course, there are drugs, herbs, oils, etc, even "sleep dentistry" available, but I'm assuming you want to work through this fear. You can also go in, go to sleep, have it all done, wake up, and be done with it except for cleanings and checkups.

There's a thread in the dental archives titled "sedation, oils, homeopathy, hypnosis" that will help in this regard. You might really consider some oils or homeopathy to help out on your first few visits.

Good luck, honey, I know you can do this.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:54 AM

Wow, LadyBlue, that's awesome!

I knew you could do it!

And yes, the mouth prop does help with the jaw cramping part, and as for the headphones, turn them UP!!! sister! I tell all my patients, "here's the volume button. When I get loud, you just get louder!"

And woo hoo on the rest of it, how wonderful when you are all done and just "maintenance only". What a relief for your mind, and your wallet!

Congratulations.

User Tag List