It sounds like you've done your research and have made the right decision! By the way, I took a peek at the pic in your signature and your son is absolutely beautiful!
It absolutlely amazes me the position (a little bit ignorant if you ask me) that dental professionals take regarding mercury. Logic and common sense should tell you that it's not safe to put a toxic substance in your mouth (let alone permanently embed it there). I understand the chemistry behind their logic, but you'd think they'd at least understand that drilling away at the mercury could pose a potential risk. I think there are two groups of people in the dental profession. There are the ones that know the research and the facts and just refuse to accept it, and there are those who are told by other people that mercury is completely safe and poses no risk to you or family but don't really know the facts to back it up. The dentist I settled with is a woman dentist and seemed to understand where I was coming from (if she didn't at least she humored me and waited until I left the room to roll her eyes). As I was checking out at my last visit, the girl at the desk and I were discussing clothing (she noticed dh is a manager of a popular retail store) and she mentioned she was pregnant. She was such a sweet girl I just wanted to tell her to be careful for her safety and her baby, but of course I couldn't. I left feeling guilty, but also feeling blessed to have had the forethought to research this whole thing before plowing ahead.
Like you, I just want to keep my children (and future children) safe. There's a lot of research out there and some can be over-zealous and scary. Thanks again for taking the time to post the research you did, it was really nice to read some studies using scientific research methods to help me with my decision.
Thanks again, best wishes to you and your family!