Toddler tooth decay. What should I use to help him? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone give me a nice clear list of what is safe to use on a 2-1/2 year old, where to get it, and how exactly to use it. There's so much I'm finding here and in the archives that my head is spinning and I don't know what to do. Right now I have the tea tree oil toothpaste on the way. What else should I use? His decay is in the front and I can see progression from just one week ago and we've been brushing diligently and flossing every chance he'll let me do it. We're seeing a dentist on on Wednesday but will be on a waiting list to have work done till at least June. I know a few things were mentioned in my previous thread on what to use but those things on top of the other things I'm reading have my head just spinning. I really need to know exactly what I should buy if you don't mind helping. Thanks.

Lucy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 01:59 PM

I have the same issues with my dd teeth, she's 19 mos. We use Toms of Maine childrens toothpaste and paint on a childrens floride rinse after brushing. I never thought I would use floride but it does seem to work.
Other things that are easy to incorporate into the diet that I've read are good for teeth : strawberries suppose to be a natural tooth cleaner, butter helps weak teeth and cheese after anything sweet including fruits.
I hope this helps a little. I will be interested to see other suggestions!!!
Amanda
Oh and Xylitol kills the strep mutans.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Where did you get the fluoride that you paint on? Thanks!

Lucy
Old 05-06-2005, 11:45 AM

About a year ago my dd had some staining/decay on her front four teeth. I started brushing three times a day with Toms of Maine toothpaste and then after each brushing I put Xylitol tooth gel on. Her teeth still have some staining but it stopped it from getting worse and the stains have been getting lighter too.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Can you post me a link to the exact Xylitol product you use? I might be interested in getting some of this. Thanks!

Lucy
Old 05-06-2005, 01:57 PM

I got my Xylitol gel at a health food store....It is called Spry Tooth Gel. On the bottle they list this website www.sprydental.com
Old 05-06-2005, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

How do you use it? Do you use it after every meal and how does it stay on? Thanks again.

I did buy some toothpaste with Xylitol on it. Do you think that's enough or would you add the gel?

Lucy
Old 05-07-2005, 12:12 PM

I don't know about the difference between the toothpaste and the gel. We have only used the plain Xylitol gel. I make sure she gets it after her morning toothbrushing....after lunch before she takes a nap and right before bed. The bottle says 3-5 times a day so you could use it more. You can either apply it with a q-tip or by putting a few drops on a toothbrush and brushing over all the teeth especially the ones with stains/decay. We use the toothbrush. I don't know how it stays on...I've wondered about that but I do know that we have seen great results and I think we will be able to avoid dental work until she is older. My dd is 2. Hope you find some products that make a big difference for your ds. I know how stressful it is to face dental problems with a little one!
Old 05-08-2005, 03:19 PM

My natural, conservative dentist says that floride in toothpaste is basically useless. She says that the other ingriedients in the toothpaste basically null out the floride, and it isnt as affective. She highly recommends some kind of after brushing paint on or somethign floride.
We got our floride from her.
Good Luck1
Old 05-09-2005, 05:36 AM

We've successfully been using Acidulated Phosphorus Fluoride (APF) from our dentist 2x/day.

I would recommend the following:
- Limit the 'feeding of the bugs' by no sippy cups with anything but water except at meals, reducing 'starchy' snacks like crackers, cereal & brushing often
- topical fluoride (if you're comfortable with it, I am and my naturapathic doctor is for us)
- xylitol frequently (in toothpaste, mints), my little guy LOVES the mints and I have to keep him from having a handful. He has a few a day.
- Check mouth pH and if it is low, consider diet changes to maximize alkaline forming foods and minimize acid forming foods - this is where our effort is focused at this point.

Very generally, the way xylitol works is that the sugar is very close to glucose, but it can't be used by the 'sugar bugs' so they expend energy trying to eat it and they cant.

I hope this helps!!

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys

User Tag List