Progression of toddler tooth decay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone help me on this? Our son is scheduled to have his four top front teeth repaired under GA on June 22. He's 2-1/2 years old. When we took him in these were the only cavities he had. His appointment was just over two weeks ago. Since then I've noticed the tops of some of his back teeth turning brown. They started as a spot but seem to be covering almost the entire top of the tooth and that's just in a little over two wees' time. How fast can I expect them to decay? Will they be gone by June 22? I'm really worried they're going to rot quickly and he's going to be in pain soon. We're brushing three times a day and flossing but it's still spreading. Also, can I expect the progression to stop once all of his effected teeth are fixed on June 22? Thanks.

Lucy
#2 of 3 Old 05-06-2005, 12:57 PM

The progression can happen fast. Xylitol can help. Brushing helps. Make sure he goes to bed with a clean mouth. Hopefully, the decay will stop once it is treated, however, keeping meticulous hygiene is necessary in cavity prone teeth. I am sure others will respond with other hints.
#3 of 3 Old 05-06-2005, 03:14 PM

You can try and pack his teeth with something anti-bacterial, usch as propolis or goldenseal, or a toothpowder. We did goldenseal for a while, but it tastes horrible. SO he may only put up with it for a short while. The powder will kill off bacteria, and so may stop the decay.
Also, you may want to cut down on carbs, even healthy ones.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page