Help please! 3 yr. old's front tooth turning brown?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-27-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am hoping some of you wise mamas will have some info for me. We just noticed that my 3 yr. old dd's front top tooth is starting to turn brown! I am in a panic. Our dentist is closed until Tues. I have been googling like mad, but haven't been able to find anything helpful.

Some hx. - all other teeth look fine, she is not in pain, she has had no mouth truama, never had a bottle, doesn't go to bed w/drinks or anything like that, diet is good - minimal sweets, I brush her teeth 2x/day, she has been to the dentist twice for check ups - all was fine.

If anyone has any ideas on what this could be & how it is treated I would be soooo appreciative.

TIA,

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 05-28-2005, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

just a desperate bump

#3 of 22 Old 05-28-2005, 03:08 PM

that is from decay.do a search on remineralization here.i know some mamas had luck using xylitol and some mineral salts.my son had one also and it stopped.
#4 of 22 Old 05-28-2005, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We started using Spry toothpaste and gel (I think the gel is Spry too). They both have Xylitol in them. Since we started using this stuff a few weeks ago I swear Chandler's teeth look better. He's scheduled for dental work on June 22. I'm hoping after the repairs the Xylitol will keep his teeth from decaying again. It's his four front teeth, by the way, that need repair work. They also have the brown on them at the gumline.

Lucy
#5 of 22 Old 05-28-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the helpful replies. I have done searches on this forum & gooled all kinds of things - it is very confusing! I don't understand how it came on so quickly? And why is is only one tooth? We noticed it within 2 days. Dd had been to the dentist for a check up a few months ago and all was fine.

The only thing I can think of is that she has had recurrent yeast infections and was just (successfully) treated by our homeopath. I read about the connection between yeast and decay, and I read that as the decay dies it gets darker. So I wonder if by treating the yeast w/the homeopathic remedy it also killed the plague, and the plague is getting darker because it is dying? Or am I stretching things?

We have a dentist appointment for next week, and I am definately going to pursue xylitol. W/homeopathy we need to aviod mint. Does all xylitol come w/mint flavoring? That is all I could find on line.

Thank you all so much for any insight you can provide. This is really freaking me out! (as if you couldn't tell.)

#6 of 22 Old 05-28-2005, 09:16 PM

http://www.homesteadmarket.com/xylitol_tooth_gel.html

This is cherry flavored. I brush it on after every meal and don't rinse it off.

Lucy
#7 of 22 Old 05-30-2005, 09:10 AM

Your DC could have fallen ( at some point in the past maybe weeks ago) and bumped the tooth. The nerve in the tooth may have died and that will also cause the tooth to turn a brown or grey color. Usually the tooth will remain in place until it naturally falls out when the adult tooth comes in. It just isnt quite as pretty as the others. The dentist will probably take ( or try to take) and xray. Just let your DC it is a picture of the tooth and nothing that will hurt. That will rule out an abcess in the root.
Jeana

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#8 of 22 Old 05-30-2005, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Lucy & Jeana. I appreciate your replies.

#9 of 22 Old 06-01-2005, 11:29 PM

How did the appointment go?

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#10 of 22 Old 06-02-2005, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter
How did the appointment go?
Thank you for asking Jeana. I couldn't get an appointment until Monday. I will let you know then. The more I think about it, the more I think your idea (nerve damage in tooth) is probably what it is, because all the other teeth look perfect. Although I cannot recall any time that she seriously bumped her tooth/mouth area. It is so hard looking at my sweet little girl w/the one brown tooth! I hope that they can do something for it.

#11 of 22 Old 06-03-2005, 06:48 PM

I was a hygienist for alot of years and saw it alot. Usually the top front. My girlfriend (who is also a hygienist and her dad is a dentist) had the same thing happen to her 2 yr old daughter. If it is a dead nerve there isnt much to do about it. Just check every month or so to make sure it doesnt abcess. ( that would look like a little yellow pimple on the gum above the tooth in the front --lip side NOT tongue side). That can occur but doesnt usually. Dont feel bad about not knowing when she fell I noticed today my 18 mo old had a chip on his front tooth Kids! Good luck with the dentist. l
jeana

#12 of 22 Old 06-04-2005, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter
I was a hygienist for alot of years and saw it alot. Usually the top front. My girlfriend (who is also a hygienist and her dad is a dentist) had the same thing happen to her 2 yr old daughter. If it is a dead nerve there isnt much to do about it. Just check every month or so to make sure it doesnt abcess. ( that would look like a little yellow pimple on the gum above the tooth in the front --lip side NOT tongue side). That can occur but doesnt usually. Dont feel bad about not knowing when she fell I noticed today my 18 mo old had a chip on his front tooth Kids! Good luck with the dentist. l
jeana
That is reassuring. Thank you again Jeana. You have been a big help. I think you just might be the next "smilemomma".

#13 of 22 Old 06-06-2005, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Just got back from the dentist. You were right Jeana, she must have bumped her tooth or mouth. The darkness is actually blood in the tooth, and unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it's appearance. But, at least her teeth are fine. What a relief!

Thank you all for your help.
max

#14 of 22 Old 06-06-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~
I think you just might be the next "smilemomma".

Heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy ...........

:

:LOL
#15 of 22 Old 06-07-2005, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilemomma
Heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy ...........

:

:LOL
Sorry smilemomma. Just an expression of how much we miss your wealth of information.

#16 of 22 Old 06-07-2005, 09:15 AM

Glad to hear everything went well at the dentist!
Jeana

#17 of 22 Old 06-07-2005, 09:01 PM

Just teasin', Max

Thank you!
#18 of 22 Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Hi ladies, after reading all of your comments. I feel a little better about my 3 yr old son teeth. This morning I've notice that his two top front teeth are discolored like a lite brownish and all of his other teeth are white. I brushes his teeth too after meals from  2 to 3 times a day. However, last weekend he did injure his teeth a little as there was a little blood coming from the gum. After applying warm salt water on it. The bleeding immediately stop. He said it hurted for a couple days after. But, now he says it doesn't hurt. But, now a week later I notice the discoloring. I'm about to schedule a dentist appt to have it looked at. Prior dentist appts has gone well. His teeth were perfectly fine. I'm too a very concerned 1st time mommy that was googling information about this and them came across this website. So thanks Ladies. wink1.gif 

#19 of 22 Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 PM

So glad I found this discussion. My 3 year old hit his tooth as well and it has started turning brownish grey too. Soooo nerve wracking...can't get it off my mind! Hoping to get into the dentist ASAP! I read in one post that it could be blood in the tooth, what more did the dentist say...will it go away...what happens when the tooth is pushed out by the adult tooth. Does anyone know if it a dead nerve will the adult tooth be okay? I am sooo worried for my little man.....don't want to mess with his amazing smile!
#20 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM

I had my front tooth turned dark when I was a chid and it was because I had fallen and the nerve had died... Not nice looking but at least nothing serious!
#21 of 22 Old Today, 11:16 PM

Question How old was your son when it happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenmoon View Post
that is from decay.do a search on remineralization here.i know some mamas had luck using xylitol and some mineral salts.my son had one also and it stopped.

Was it on baby teeth or permanent teeth? How is he doing now? Updates please Thanks
#22 of 22 Old Today, 11:20 PM

Question Please give us updates on your situation? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
Thank you for the helpful replies. I have done searches on this forum & gooled all kinds of things - it is very confusing! I don't understand how it came on so quickly? And why is is only one tooth? We noticed it within 2 days. Dd had been to the dentist for a check up a few months ago and all was fine.

The only thing I can think of is that she has had recurrent yeast infections and was just (successfully) treated by our homeopath. I read about the connection between yeast and decay, and I read that as the decay dies it gets darker. So I wonder if by treating the yeast w/the homeopathic remedy it also killed the plague, and the plague is getting darker because it is dying? Or am I stretching things?

We have a dentist appointment for next week, and I am definately going to pursue xylitol. W/homeopathy we need to aviod mint. Does all xylitol come w/mint flavoring? That is all I could find on line.

Thank you all so much for any insight you can provide. This is really freaking me out! (as if you couldn't tell.)

Are small brown lines at the end of a permanent tooth considered decay or plaque? Thanks. I am DESPERATE!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page