Fluoride - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 143 Old 11-20-2001, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I brush my 15mo ds teeth with Toms of Maine toothpaste for kids but he can't spit it out yet.I only use very little,but I am not sure how much is safe. If it's not safe than what is a good alternative to floride? He has 12 teeth(4 molars) so I feel it is important to brush,but I don't want to make him sick. Thanx,Kathy
#2 of 143 Old 11-20-2001, 03:54 PM

I had asked you about fluoride before the boards went down, and I wanted to let you know what I've heard since. I told our "new" dentist we were on well water and he was happy we weren't considering a supplement. Also showed us the small amount of ingested toothpaste it would take to kill a 2 y.o.

Then, last week our naturopathic dr. also commented on how lucky we are to have well water.

Nice to know you're not alone, eh?!?
#3 of 143 Old 11-20-2001, 09:33 PM

Hi, Our dentist told us it's dangerous if it has fluoride in it.

He told us to just use a tiny dab of baking soda on our ds' brush. He said the purpose of toothpaste is to make it taste good.

And, really, our 9 mos. old doesn't mind the baking soda!
#4 of 143 Old 11-21-2001, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply! I had always heard to use just a pea sized ammount but if it's not safe to swallow alot, do I really want to be giving ANY to him? I don't think so! I will try the baking soda and see how that goes.Thanx again. Kathy
#5 of 143 Old 11-22-2001, 06:48 PM

#6 of 143 Old 11-22-2001, 07:14 PM

#7 of 143 Old 11-29-2001, 10:28 PM

Smilemomma, do you know of a natural source of floride available? By natural, I mean in a mineral form, not chemically processed etc.

Thanks.

Also, what are your thoughts on chewable vitamin C and teeth? My son just loves them, and has had a minor cold for a month, therefore has been eating them for a month. Any thoughts?
#8 of 143 Old 11-30-2001, 06:23 PM

#9 of 143 Old 12-01-2001, 03:41 AM

My almost 6yo son was given a flouride gel to use after brushing which he spits out, but does not rinse. They also told me to use a pea-sized dab on the toothbrush. He uses a non-flouride swallowable toothpaste, and according to the dentist, we have no flouride in our water as we use reverse-osmosis water from the store. He has never had flouride supplements, and breastfed until about 10 months ago. Now he has 4 cavities.

So,it sounds from the info. above that a little flouride might be beneficial, but is this gel too much using the pea sized dab, or is that OK being that he spits and doesn't take in any other flouride?

Any advice would be appreciated.
#10 of 143 Old 12-02-2001, 06:33 PM

#11 of 143 Old 12-02-2001, 10:05 PM

Actually Smilemomma, all the cavities are between the teeth, they were all found by x-ray. I can barely see them on the x-ray and can't see them in his mouth at all.

I already went for a 2nd opinion on the necessity of filling them and am now trying to find a dentist who will do the composite fillings without giving us too much grief. The dentist who found them is kind of set on doing the silver. They also want to fill them on 2 separate visits, which if possible I'd like to avoid because this initial visit was quite hard for him. I was actually hoping we could get a few cleanings in before we had to do the fillings, no such luck.

I never thought I'd have so many dental concerns...especially since my older son (9yo) has had no cavities so far. Probably 'cause he didn't eat sugar for about the 1st 4 years of his life. Hard to maintain that record with #2 and #3.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Smilemomma.
#12 of 143 Old 12-03-2001, 12:31 PM

Smilemomma,
what about a no-fluoride toothpaste for adults? I am not using one right now, but am seriously considering to switch.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#13 of 143 Old 12-05-2001, 12:45 AM

#14 of 143 Old 12-05-2001, 12:53 AM

#15 of 143 Old 12-05-2001, 01:55 AM

Thanks so much, Smilemomma. I guess I can't be your hero...we can probably count the times my 6yo has flossed on the fingers of 1 hand! I do have some of that flavored floss though ( my older son likes it) and maybe we'll try to do that and switch to a flouride toothpaste from Tom's instead of that gel. He can't stand the taste,and if flossing is more important, I'd rather focus on that.

That said, the dentist who found these cavities will not do the white fillings, and gave me all kinds of reasons why not, so I have decided to go to another dentist who seems much more agreeable, and who is supportive of some more natural approaches to dental care. She is even supportive of extended breastfeeding! The problem is, I can't even get in until Jan. 9. Of course we'll have to do an exam before we can schedule fillings...will this be too long to wait? On the X-ray, the cavities look quite tiny, will scrupulous cleaning keep them at bay for the next month, in your opinion? The time between will also give me a chance to talk to him some more and hopefully assuage some of his fear, but I don't want them to get out of hand.

Imagine silver fillings illegal in some countries for children! Someone should tell that dentist who wants to put 4-5 little globs of that stuff in my little ones mouth!
#16 of 143 Old 12-05-2001, 03:49 PM

A few months ago I was able to teach my daughter how to rinse and spit while brushing her teeth, so she swallows minimal amounts of toothpaste. She uses Tom's of Maine Silly Strawberry, which is a fluoride toothpaste, twice a day. So does she still need vitamins that contain fluoride, or is this now unnecessary? They are prescribed vitamins because of the fluoride and I've been wonderign if I could start her on OTC vitamins instead - there are ones in the health food store I've thought of trying.
#17 of 143 Old 12-06-2001, 12:27 AM

#18 of 143 Old 12-06-2001, 11:15 AM

Actually, the water in our area is not fluoridated, and she eats very little canned food (do those actually have fluoride?) and she drinks very little juice - her idea of juice is a sippy cup with maybe a half inch of juice and the rest, eight ounces or so, filled with water. Thanks in advance for your advice, Smilemomma, I guess you're really kept busy on this board!
#19 of 143 Old 12-10-2001, 10:43 PM

My just-over-2 year old has little pits on the two front teeth that sit next to the 2 middle ones. From an earlier issue of Mothering I got the idea she may have gotten those from the doctor-prescribed fluoride drops that she took between 8 months and 2 years of age (I've tossed them since). We brush twice a day, but didn't start doing that consistently till she was 1 and a half.

There's about 3 pits on each of the teeth in question, kinda right in the middle (front side). They're the color of her teeth, not brown or anything. We can only really see them in sunlight. They don't look like cavities, and she says they don't hurt. Can you tell me more about what they may be??

Even though dh and I both have bad, weak teeth, I'd like to delay a dentist visit a bit. This is a child who screams murder just for having her height measured. She hardly lets us look at the teeth in question.

She bf's a lot, day and nite. Falls asleep while or immediately after being latched on.

Thanks.
#20 of 143 Old 12-10-2001, 11:43 PM

#21 of 143 Old 12-10-2001, 11:59 PM

#22 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 12:16 AM

Smilemomma, thanks so much for the advice!

What you suggested about only giving the fluoride once or twice a week is sort of already happening, because I'm kind of lax about her vitamins in general, partly because I was unsure of the fluoride thing and partly because she has such an excellent diet compared to every other 3 year old I know - she eats a wide variety of foods from every group, hardly any sweets at all, almost no juice (as mentioned), so I wonder if she really needs supplemental vitamins at all.

Anyway, your advice was quite helpful! I'll check at her next dental visit, too, with the dentist. It's so nice to have you here!
#23 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 12:45 AM

#24 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 12:48 AM

Thank you, peacemama. You have the perfect name for such a gentle poster!

Your baby sounds awesome. I go back and forth with the whole vitamin thing, too. I don't give them every day either, because she's pretty good, too, but I do give them every now and then because some days are better than others, you know?!
#25 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 02:00 AM

Thanks, Smilemomma. That's really interesting. What are the kinds of things that could cause this?
#26 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 02:28 AM

#27 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 03:03 AM

Mmmm... Interesting. I just reread my preg diary. At 6 months I was under a lot of stress because we moved (not far at all, but still...), I had an international friend staying over for 3 weeks, and caught a light throat cold. There were a couple of weeks where I didn't gain weight, while I was a very steady gainer in the rest of the pregnancy.

And now I remember... I helped painting the new apt a little... Latex, and with face mask and windows open, but... Oh no I hope that didn't do it I'd feel guilty for the rest of my life...

Talking about rests of lives: Is there a great risk she'll have it on her later teeth, too? I know it appears limited to these two, but that's only because I can't see every corner of her other teeth...
#28 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 05:25 PM

Flouride.. my dd is almost 2, has cavities (another issue I wont go into (already sent a PM). I have only given flouride for about the last yr but have been hesitant to do it everyday. after reading thru this i might bow switch to a flouridated toothpaste. what about using the flouride past 2x a week, or so, and giving the drops 2x or so.. hey i want to cover all bases w/o going overboard! any suggestions for a combo? Just called water co to get flouride content of water...

Flossing suggestion.. a few months ago I bought dinosaur shaped flossers. I tell my dd the dinosaur is hungry and wants to eat buggies in her teeth. shes ery cooperative and often sits and does her own! Only w/ the dinos tho! (we chase all sorts of riff-raff through her mouth ( from elmo to elephants) in the name of dental hygene!) hope this helps!
#29 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 08:50 PM

Hi All,

Thanks Smilemomma and everyone else....no, I didn't mean I would stop brushing my son's teeth, but perhaps concentrate on flossing rather than using that flouride gel *after* he brushes. I think I will also switch to a flouride toothpaste and use it in the minute quantities you suggest rather than the swallowable stuff.

I also like the shaped flosser suggestion, I will check next time I'm at the store. The nice thing is he doesn't have a lot of teeth to floss! This is a hard time of year to control the sweets, but we're doing our best and trying to be very diligent about the hygiene. I will also use this time to talk and read to my son before his appt. in Jan. It amazes me he has all these cavities! his teeth are so beautiful and white and I just can't see a thing!
#30 of 143 Old 12-11-2001, 11:09 PM

Tags
Health Healing , Natural Dental Care , Pearly Whites A Dental Health Game

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page