Pregnancy, BF and Teeth/Safety issues - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2002, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
do you know what drug your dentist used? most of 'em don't really use "novocaine" anymore. it's usually lidocaine which is fine for breastfeeding moms. there should be plenty of info on this forum about it. do a search and i'm sure you'll find it.

hth,
-beanma.

p.s. if you can find out the specific name of the drug(s) used your La Leche League leader has a book she can look it up in.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2002, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every pregnancy ( I've had 3) my teeth start to feel like the calcium is being drained out of them. They feel tingly constantly (mostly my lower front ones) and I try to drink more milk, but I'm not sure it's even a calcium-related problem. They get very sensitive, too (to sugar and cold items).

I have more cavities since getting preg. the 1st time, so I assume my teeth are getting weaker (I even have cavities along my gumline on some of my front teeth!). I'm not sure how to handle this. The dentist I saw was not helpful at all (she told me I'm obviously not even brushing my teeth...I told her to $&!# off!).

Anyone else experience this? Is there anything I can do diet-wise or herbally to help stop/reverse my problems? I'm afraid that by the time I finish having babies, I'll need dentures!

I know when preg and nursing, the body takes some calcium out of your teeth and bones, but this is ridiculous.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:15 PM

no one can help me..?!

Old 09-17-2002, 01:51 AM

no, I don't know how to help you, your post just looked so lonely

(((((hugs))))))) anyway.

My grandma always said that each baby costs a tooth (imagine her mouth after giving birth 11 times!), but that sounds a bit old-fashioned.

I've heard that veggie calcium is easier to absorb than animal calcium combined with protein in dairy, so you may want to try eating lots of broccoli?

And the cavities and sensitivities at the gumline sound like periodontal disease, which (as far as I know) is best managed by using mouthwash, and having your dentist do what is euphemistically called "deep cleanings" but what in reality is the dreaded "root planing." Anyway, on me that combo helped a lot. It also helped the dentist, 'cause it's not cheap even with insurance

I don't know to what extent being preggo causes this. Maybe the hormones do something there ? (wow, simonee is smart : )

good luck. and ask your dh what he'd rather have: the jewels snipped or a toothless wife
Old 09-17-2002, 09:05 PM

Thanks, simonee! You did help!

I had no idea that I might have periodontal disease. The dentist just told me they were cavities. Guess I'll have to educate myself more on this...

I try to eat a lot of brocolli, but there's only so much I can take!

Ah, well! I'm the one who doesn't wanna stop having babies, so I guess I'll just suffer...
Old 09-17-2002, 09:45 PM

A lot of pregnancy books do mention that during pregnancy we are more prone to gum disease, I think due to the hormones. (the source of the lose one tooth per child thing...it's the gums not the teeth.) My gums bled a lot more in pregnancy. It's typical, but not "normal". So rather than go to the dentist less during pregnancy and nursing, go more! More flossing. Use a gum stimulator or a toothpick. Your mouth is more prone to dental bacteria then so your old habits aren't enough. Gum disease and decay are from a very particular kind of dental bacteria which some people are more prone to than others (and you can colonize your child with!) I read they are working on a vaccine...my teeth are so bad...I think that is the one vaccine I'd actually consider for my child. Dental bacteria are linked to a lot of other serious things incuding preterm labor and heart attacks/damage. So the existence of that bad bacteria is bad for your whole body, not just your teeth.

My dentist suggests a sonic toothbrush as better at both tooth cleaning and gum care. (like the sonicaire or oral-b 3D) The natural toothcare suggestions for kids in last month's mothering are probaly true for you too. (less carbs, less sugar, herbal rinses, etc.) It is not a calcium thing...talking unprofessionally, it would seem not likely. Maybe smilemama will check in and explain (and check the archives?) and maybe you need a new dentist you can talk to better? If you're worried about bone health, weight-bearing exercise is what they suggest to rebuild bone strength for peope with osteoporosis not just calcium supplements.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:24 PM

you made me feel all good, chaka

As it was explained to me, periodontal disease makes your gums recede, which is also pretty much what clarity is describing. When the gums recede, "new" parts of the tooth become exposed, and these areas don't have (much) enamel since they weren't made to be exposed. Result: sensitivity and then cavities right at the gum line. Periodontal disease can't really be cured, but it can be managed well and also be made to reverse a little.

as far as I know, the best thing to do is clean clean and clean more. VERY annoying ild
Old 09-18-2002, 12:26 AM

Thank you both!

Clarity, my gums have never bled while I'm pregnant,so I'm not sure what's going on. You're right abt me seeing a new dentist...I'm working on that, but it's difficult right now.

I'll really have to look up this periodontal disease. I suppose I may have receding gums, but since they don't bleed and I don't have it on every tooth, I'm not sure what to think.

You guys have really given me some good info. Thanks again!

Old 09-18-2002, 03:37 PM

they don't have to bleed, that's just one of my personal symptoms. SOme women just get more decay during pregnancy. The bacteria that cause cavities and gum disease live in your mouth, esp in pockets at the gum line particularly, so treating your gums that way even if you don't have bleeding would help the whole situation IMO. Traditional dentists would probably suggest flouride-based dental rinses. (periodex etc.) The archives probably go over no non-flouride alternatives if you prefer to avoid flouride.

Hope things get better!
Old 09-27-2002, 01:49 AM

Wow, y'all don't need me, that's for sure!

Y'all have a bright career ahead of you in dentistry ....
Old 09-27-2002, 01:56 AM

Thanks, smilemomma.

I know that I've been really concerned abt this situation b/c the dentist I saw did not say anything abt the possibility of periodontal disease. She just ragged on and on abt how I'm obviously not brushing, etc. But, I thought there must be something more serious than cavities going on since she didn't mention that I had tartar, or anything.

Well, I've been doing some research and I'm gonna write a letter of complaint to that dentist's boss. She really missed the ball and instead of focusing on my teeth, she concentrated on trying to humiliate and disrespect me. I'm furious!
Old 09-27-2002, 02:26 AM

I think you're right on, Chaka.

And how far is she going to get with her humilation technique? I'm sure every one of her patients floss every single night because of her excellent motivational skill of embarrassment and degradation and blame. :
Old 09-27-2002, 03:50 AM

Cool beans, Carrie! You'll get all fixed up, or at least have a road map!

My seminar was awesome, I go every year. It's a forensics lecture, and this year we had Dr. Michael Baden and Dr. Henry Lee, bigbigbig names, and very nice, incredible people.

Yay to you on your homebirth! Is your birth story on here somewhere? I'd love to read it! Isn't it funny how it always seems to go that way -- hospital birth for the first, when we don't know any better, then just the way we want it when we have that mama knowledge and confidence.

(Ok, now, it's 2 am and I'm on every post on this page! I'm goin' ta bed! )
Old 10-03-2002, 01:18 AM

Like Maya Angelou said, "when I knew better, I did better." That's all we can ask for. Your story is just beautiful, how awesome!

I'll make a separate thread about forensics for you, so I don't hijack this one!

:
Old 10-04-2002, 12:11 AM

maybe its the barometric pressure from hurricane, my mouth is hurting too bad for me to continue looking in the archives....

anyway, my ds2 22 months is getting four pulpectomies, i know one of these threads talks all about the homeopathic options, could some one please direct me to where it is??!!

as for me, i am 34 weeks pg, my left molar third from back has hurt intermittently and i've been hoping to wait till the baby is born....well it's making me unable to enjoy doing anything, i've been using my pain relief brainwashing, hey i've already had two posterior babies naturally under six hours, and this darned tooth is making me crazy. from what i've read it looks like root canal for me, what do i need to watch out for since i am preg? and i don't think anyone here will do without an xray, what should i do? sorry i'm so desperate, ouch ouch ouch!
Old 10-04-2002, 05:49 AM

i'm sending you my most gracious thank you for being my virtual dentist oncall. i haven't seen a dentist in ten years and hurricane lili's landfall wasn't the right day to find anyone!

casina plus
Old 10-05-2002, 12:26 AM

We just got wind and rain over here; whew!

And you are so welcome; hope you're comfy soon!

Old 10-05-2002, 04:35 AM

when i wrote virtual i meant real, the tooth pain is affecting the brain. i have an appointment monday. interestingly, the first few dentists i called refused to see me due to pregnancy.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:11 PM

smilemomma, i had a root canal done today, i'm glad i went ahead and did it and it's been ten years since i've seen a dentist. i'll go get the crown next week, that's what credit cards should be used for, right??? they seemed concerned i would balk at the cost, and i told them, i could get it done now or later, either way i would like to be able to eat without pain for the rest of my life!

it was a little surreal since my little one is getting his four pulpectomies the day after tommorow, i'm glad things went well cos i didn't want to feel afraid for him. i guess that's how things were meant to go. i want to thank you again for giving out professional and detailed advice, if it weren't for your writings i probably would have postponed all this dental work indefinitely due to fear. hugs.

casina
Old 10-09-2002, 08:05 PM

I went to the dentist yesterday, no cavities, but he said I did have slight gingivitis and gave me a special mouthwash to use. No problem with any of that.

I'm usually pretty bad about flossing, but was very good about it while pg. At my last appt 6 mos ago, I was pg and had no problems with the gingivits. 6 mos before that, I was pg but didn't know yet (a couple of weeks along) and my gums were WAY worse than they normally are-swollen, bleeding, etc.

I have slacked off again since ds was born and he said that it could be aggravated by the hormones from breastfeeding. Anyone heard of this? I've heard of teeth and gums being more sensitive during pregnancy, but nothing about while nursing.

I looked through the archives and didn't find anything about this. My apologies if it's there and I missed it. Any insight?

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 10-12-2002, 02:58 AM

I don't know if I'd call this insight, but I do know that my experience in both pregnancies was that my oral health was suffering- bleeding gums, like yours. And I also know that everytime something changed during our breastfeeding I'd get a major hormonal shift- especially when nursing ds#2. I'd conjecture that yes, hormones during pregnancy contribute to bleeding gums and that maybe hormonal wierdness during breastfeeding could contribute along the same lines. Sure seems to have an impact on every other system in my body, anyway.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:29 AM

casina, thank you for coming back to let me know how it went. And especially, thank you for your kind words. It is an amazing feeling to think that I can help people, even over the internet. Thanks for making my day!

And hurray on it being all better. This will all be a distant memory for you soon, and you'll have a nice strong tooth to boot!

Old 11-03-2002, 06:01 PM

I didn't know I was pregnant and had four deep cavities filled with mercury/silver. I am now 3.5 wks past conception and am wondering if I have put my baby at risk and if so, is there anything I can do about it. Can anyone help me out? Thanks so much.
Rachel
Old 11-03-2002, 09:59 PM

Rachel, please click on the dental archives, above the dental topic page. You will find two threads there of interest, one titled "pregnancy/bf/safety issues" and the other "mercury amalgams".
Old 11-04-2002, 12:34 AM

I browsed through the archives and found some good info, but still have a few questions. I saw lots of posts telling how to remove merc from your system after have the fillings removed, but was wondering what of that applies to someone wanting to remove merc from her system with the fillings intact.

Also, does Merc pass through the placenta?

Thanks so much. What a great board. I wish I had found this earlier.

Rachel
Old 11-08-2002, 03:37 AM

Total off the top of the head...
If you are still pregnant, you're fine. There are so few cells in the early weeks that if you damage any of them, two things can happen. It would have been incompatible with life and you would have miscarried with the period you missed. Or, the cells are all the same at that point, so a few can be cast off with no harm done. Chances are mercury didn't even reach the cells for either to happen at all.
If I am to believe the information I've found, you got a dose with the filling, but aren't getting any more as a person with new fillings than a person with old fillings.
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If it makes you feel better, having a healthy mouth and teeth are important to a healthy baby. Decay in the mouth is linked to premature labor, as well as other things. You are protecting your baby by taking care of yourself.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 12-13-2002, 11:23 PM
Banned

I have to have some cavities filled.....is it safe to get the pain meds while I am at it, since I am bf? (novacaine, and/or nitrous oxide) My dentist couldn't answer this. Thanks
Old 12-14-2002, 12:00 AM

I know for a fact that novocaine (actually they use lidocaine, a safer version of what essentially is the same drug) is 100% safe because it's topical: it stays right where it's injected, and doesn't travel through the body.

Nitrous I'm less sure about, but I think I've heard smilemomma say that it's also okay because it immediately leaves your system (that's why the dentist can adjust the dosage even while she's working on your teeth). So I imagine you're fine to use it, especially if you wait a half hour or so after the appointment before you bf, just to make extra sure there's none left in your body.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:47 AM

novocaine is okay, X-rays no, can you find the Newman site for the nitrous info?
Mary
mom to ds14, ds9, ds5, dd 3yrs all breastfed
Old 12-30-2002, 03:01 PM
kel

Hi Smilemomma,

I really searched the archives and tried to find this out, but maybe I just missed it.

I'm scheduled to have my wisdom teeth extracted next week - they're already partially erupted and my regular dentist is the one who'll be pulling them. I also just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant - so my question is, is it okay to get this done so early in pregnancy or should I wait until the 2nd trimester? I don't even know what they use (drug wise/pain killer, etc.) during wisdom teeth extraction.... is there anything I should definitely avoid even during 2nd trimester?

Thanks for your help!!!

xo - Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

User Tag List