Pregnancy, BF and Teeth/Safety issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2001, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i need to get a dental implant. my problem is that i am nursing my 23 month old, so my dentist thinks that i should wait til i am finished breastfeeding (i will probably not be done til he is about 4 i'm guessing?) i had the molar pulled out about 11 years ago so i think that the implant should be put in as soon as possible.(the molar on top is slowly 'sinking' downward.)

what should i do? go for it? or wait?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2001, 03:19 AM

Good luck to you, and congrats on your new tooth!
Old 11-23-2001, 03:19 PM
Kim

Old 11-23-2001, 04:01 PM

Hi Kim! 27 weeks, wow, time does fly! Did you get the car seat yet? I sent it about a week ago. I was trying to find the book for it, but couldn't, so I sent a copy of the other one (same book, same seat). I was also looking for another headrest, but my 5 yo has been using them for anklets , so heaven only knows where they are. Sorry about the delay! If they turn up, I'll send them on!

Hope all is well, keep me "posted"!
Old 11-23-2001, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much smilemomma! i can't wait!
Old 11-24-2001, 12:41 AM
Kim

Old 11-24-2001, 12:54 AM

Hurray! I'm glad it got there! I can just picture your tiny babe all nestled in...

As for the package ... with drool ! LOL!
Old 12-18-2001, 01:20 AM

This is a question about Mommy's teeth:

I may be pregnant and I may need dental work done while I am pregnant. I am prone to cavities (bad Irish teeth) and I sense one coming on. My dentist also wants to crown a tooth within the next 3 months. Does anyone know about the risk of anesthesia for dentistry while pregnant? My dentist insists it's okay. While pregnant with my first child I didn't introduce anything unnatural into my body - even avoiding fumes! Having anesthesia, even the low-level kind for dentistry, worries me.

I may also risk a serious infection, or losing teeth by waiting.
Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2001, 01:33 AM

I had three fillings put in while prgnant with no obvious problems. My OB/GYN said it was okay.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:47 PM

When I was pregnant, I had a small cavity filled with that white type of filling and the dentist said I would not even need anesthesia. It was no problem at all. The drilling did not hurt a bit. It was great getting a filling without getting the novacaine shot first! I hate shots in my mouth!

For the bigger cavities, it seems like novacaine would be safe to use since it just works in the one spot. And it seems like the gas would be a bad idea to use. But I really don't know.
Old 01-01-2002, 03:17 AM

I am totally ashamed to admit this, but I have not been to the dentist since before I was pregnant with my twins: ! They are two now and I am pregnant again. Plus, I lost a crown a year ago and I just know my teeth are a mess.

I am ready to face the music and go to the dentist. We recently moved so I won't know if its a good one or not-so I am wondering what should I know is not safe to be done while pregnant (20 weeks)???

Thanks in advance for any input !!!!

wave.gif
Old 01-02-2002, 12:03 PM

I went for a regular check up and cleaning when I was pregnant. They waited to fill a cavity until after I was pregnant (at the time I think I was 8 months). I pretty sure they said I could have had it filled even when I was pregnant, but they just figured why not wait.

So I'm sure you can go for a cleaning and check up and from there the denist can tell you if it's safe to have any work done while pregnant.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:50 AM

Hi 3 little birds! Wow! My twins are 14 months, and I can't imagine another one! (I also have a 5 yo). You go, girl!

Check out the thread, "dental anesthesia while pregnant". It covers most all, I think. If not, please post back!

Old 01-09-2002, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
SmileMomma,

hope you can offer a little advice. i've been bad. i haven't been to the dentist in years. had one in my hometown i went to pretty regularly and still went back to visit for years, but never got a regular one here where i live now and just kinda stopped going, but that's another story. anyway, to ramble on a little bit more my dh due to some sinus trouble he can't shake decided to go to the dentist after he hadn't been in years and years and now i know i've just got to go. (incidentally, he's gotta have two crowns.) i'm pretty sure they'll wanna do something to this bad wisdom tooth i've got. my guess is pull it, but i guess i'll have to go to find out.

my real question is, i'm breastfeeding my 11mo dd, what should i be wary of as far as meds? i dread hearing i should just wean her, although i'm hopeful that i won't. the practice seems to be mainly women according to dh, so maybe they'll understand, but i feel like i should go in armed with some knowledge about what's okay and what's not. any advice you can give on that score?

i'll tell you a little bit about the tooth in case you're interested. it's the bottom left wisdom tooth and it only ever came partially in. the crown is about level with the gum line and it's not inline with the rest of my teeth, so basically it just sits there and collects food particles and debris. they'll probably have to do some digging to get rid of it or fix it either one, but i imagine they'll just try to get rid of it since it's not serving any useful purpose anyway. i looked at it last night with a flashlight and it just looks pretty cruddy. i tried to fool myself into thinking it was stained for quite sometime, but it's just decrepit. i've been bad, bad, bad. since my dh told me about his crowns i've become conscious of this dull ache i have over there which i guess i was ignoring before, but i really don't think it's sympathy pain much as i'd like to.

anyway, that's my situation. any advice you can give would be muchly appreciated. i know you're crazy busy with your wee ones and practice. you do a great service here and i've pointed a number of folks this way so they can soak up some of your wisdom and kind words.

thanks muchly,
beanma.

p.s. have any thoughts on sinus trouble and bad upper molars? (seems like an infection, but dh took a course of sulfa drugs and that seemed to have no effect.)

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 01-11-2002, 02:42 PM

my dh said when he got his work done yesterday they gave him a shot of "novocaine" and he mentioned to the dentist or assistant that it made his heart race. he said they said that was epinephrine (sp?) in the "novocaine" and that it would wear off fast. it wasn't a problem for him, but it made neurotic me think it might be contraindicated for me because i'm on synthroid for hypothyroidism and can't take stuff like sudafed. so that's one more thing to add to the mix... i'm such a worrywart. :

thanks again for reading all this. it helps me just to type out my concerns so i'll have them somewhat articulated when i head out to the dentist. got an appt on the 31st now. i'd love to hear back if you've got the time, but i understand if you've got little ones and patients and other concerns to tend to.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

Old 01-13-2002, 02:24 AM

Thank you, beanma! I am a nursing momma myself, and I think ~somebody~ "in the establishment" should be standing up for us!

And even with all these babies, I've always got time for you, sweetie! It just takes me a little longer to get to the ones I can't just say, "look over here...."

Good luck, let me know how you do! I'll be thinking of you on the 31st!
Old 01-13-2002, 03:53 PM

makes me feel more prepared when i go in. can't type long now 'cause the li'l bean just woke up, but i do appreciate you taking time to respond. i never thought about the upper wisdom tooth not hittin' nuthin', but that makes sense. i'll see what the doc has to say about it and i'll try to give you the report when i come back from the exam.

muchas, muchas gracias!

Old 01-17-2002, 02:00 PM

i'm facing major dental work - surgery, root canal, fillings etc.

right now i'm inclined to omit the fact that my 3yr old nurses once or twice a day.

i'm thinking that given the facts that she's eating foods for her meals and as long as there no radioactive stuff involved, it wont impact her enough to have to 'face the music' as it were on the dr/staff reactions to extended bf'g.

what do you folks think? is there something i havent considered yet?
Old 01-17-2002, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do they know that you have a 3 yo? You could just say that you are nursing a baby and not say how old he/she is. You could invent a fictious 1 yo sibling! You could say that a friend of yours is having the same proceedures done and she is breastfeeding a child and ask for her information.

I think it is always better to ask.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:58 PM

I have some major oral work coming up soon and would like info on how Novocaine and other commonly used dental anesthetics relate to breastfeeding. My 6-month-old DD is still nursing every few hours. What's safe? Do I need to pump and dump?

If I've missed finding the information here on other posts or archives, please point me back in that direction.

Thanks ~
Old 01-17-2002, 06:08 PM

baby phat,

i asked smilemomma this same thing in a sort of long winded way under the thread, "smilemomma, breastfeeding and wisdom tooth" or something like that. she said she didn't think it would be a problem, but i'm paraphrasing. go check it out yourself for more details.

my LLL leader looked in her book and said that lidocaine, commonly used by dentists, doesn't pose a problem and it also has a relatively short half life of something like 10 hours, but i think it shouldn't be a problem if it even gets in your milk anyway.

hope that helps.

-beanma.

Old 01-18-2002, 02:43 AM

Thanks for your pointer, beanma. I'll definitely check online for more specific information on lidocaine (as well as any other drugs I can come up with names for, too). Hats off to you! ~
Old 01-18-2002, 04:05 AM

wow, corey, may i say that you are a smart and crafty woman! i never would've thought of that.

i agree with you, i think its important to find out the info.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:30 PM

I agree; justsay you are a nursing mom. If the dentist gets nosy, tell the truth. If he or she offers unsolicited advice, blow it off or simply say, "It works for us, thanks!"
IKWYM, though; a while back I had to go in for a case of tonsilitis, needed antibiotics, and mentioned to the old codger of a DR that I was nursing, so whatever I was given had to be safe for that. He asked, "How old?" I told him(18 mths) and he proceded to lecture me on how I should wean right away, how "they won't ever quit unless you make them", give me "you're nuts" looks, etc.
If I had been better able to speak through the pain, I would have given him an earful. As it was, I just gritted my teeth and said, basically, "whatever. Write my prescription, please!" Wanted to say, "thanks for the unsolicited advise, but I have a 9 yr old who nursed for 3+ yrs and he quit quite nicely without being forced to! Besides, I'm paying you to treat my throat infection, not critique my parenting style!"
Get used to it, lol! Kimberly, mom to Forest, 9, and Lily, 2(and still nursing 3-4 times a day/night).
Old 01-21-2002, 02:16 AM

Thanks so much for your comments, Smilemomma (as well as your thumbs-up on my stolen-from-rappers name! :cool: ). I'm not really sure what I'm in store for ... a filling or two at least, probably the extraction of a baby tooth (no adult tooth ever existed) that's hung in there about 35 years too many, likely a bridge or something after the extraction and perhaps some heaven only knows what for my gums, which have receded around that little baby tooth. I want to be forewarned and forearmed as much as possible about anything they might throw my way, since we nurse as frequently as every hour or hour-and-a-half some days. I appreciate the input so much!
Old 01-31-2002, 11:10 PM

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen a dentist in 4 years. I'd like to continue putting it off, but I chipped a tooth today and I really need to get it fixed.

What is involved in routine dentistry? I think (correct me if I'm wrong!) that the local anesthetic is safe (regarding my breastmilk), but what about the x-rays?

My experience has been that health professionals are generally ignorant about breastfeeding, and I'm not expecting my dentist to be any different. Are there any general rules or anything I need to know to safeguard my baby's food supply?

Thanks in advance!
Tessa

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 02-14-2002, 01:02 AM

How'dja do, beanma?

Old 02-14-2002, 06:34 PM

it went pretty well. i got the oxygen through the nitrous mask. didn't do the rubber dam. we talked about it, but on that protocol linked to on the mercury fillings thread they say it's 6 one way and half a dozen the other one using 'em. apparently they might let the amalgam collect underneath 'em and i guess get up under the gum? anyway i don't know if i made the right call, but we skipped it and just relied on the suction. dr g and her asst were very conscientious, though, and knew i was concerned about minimizing any exposure and i feel pretty good about it.

unfortunately it looks like i'll be paying her lots more visits (and lots more $$, too). all my old amalgams have leaked and allowed decay underneath. she was a little dismayed at how bad the two teeth she worked on were. it's kind of disconcerting to hear your dentist say, "oh, this is bad. really bad," while you've got your mouth hanging open, but i think she did a good job. she was kinda surprised that the one she crowned wasn't 'causing me pain that would indicate a root canal, but it really hasn't bothered me. i think we probably got it just in the nick of time. the other was just a filling where an amalgam had been and leaked and i think the decay had just spread down more than was evident on the xrays.

it was 2.5 hours in the chair, but y'know it feels pretty good today. i did end up taking a little ibuprofen last night at dh's urging and also 'cause i thought it might help dd a little. she's teething and was having a rough night last night and she hates me trying to give her anything although i did try (in vain i think) to get a little homeopathic remedy in her. i don't know if enough ibuprofen got through mama's milk to help her or not, but it did pretty much make what minor discomfort i had go away. she eventually got to sleep, too.

i did change clothes and took a shower a little while after i got home. i felt kinda silly since i didn't feel particularly toxic, but i figured it couldn't hurt. i've been taking the C and echinachea, too. the lidocaine still numbed pretty well. they were generous, though. haven't tried the merc viv. do you think it would be a good idea with the other amalgams still in there?

thanks for all your advice.
-beanma.

p.s. they look lots better than those ugly old amalgams, too...

Old 02-15-2002, 03:11 AM

Yay! Sounds great! Congrats!

Yeah, no one ever says to me, hey doc, I want those big ol' black fillings ...

I think you did great! Awesome! And yes, it does get funky under there; in 22 years, I have NEVER seen an amalgam come out clean. Good to know they're all cleaned up, and a whole lot prettier!

Old 02-15-2002, 06:08 PM

smilemomma, thanks muchly for all your help and advice and virtual hand holding through the ether. i guess i'm about 1/4 of the way, but we're getting there...

beanma

User Tag List